One Checkride down

tngarner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tngarner
Well yesterday was the greatest day of my life next to my kids being born (okay and getting married). Passed my Privet Pilot Checkride!!!!!

While I have been more of a lurker than a poster, wanted to say Thank You to the community. There is an amazing amount of experience are knowledge here and I have no doubt that what is discussed here helped me through in more ways than I will ever know.

I am going to say it and I am sure it will be ignored by most (just like I did). The checkride is not that bad. Now that I know what I know, DO NOT stress out over this. You will be kicking yourself after it is over that you stressed out so much.

Main advice to getting through the checkride...... get a really good score on the written. I had a very good score on my written and the guy asked me a bunch of questions but never grilled me on anything. He even commented that a high written score leaves him with less to go probe for.

Took the family up today, wow that was amazing. I can not put into words how satisfying it was to have the wife and kids in the plane in awe and amazement as we did our short 45 min get to know GA flight. Made the crap ton of money I spent to this point well worth it.

Now I am on to my instrument rating. Will start that in two weeks. Need a little down time after all. I want to be a better pilot and flying regularly seems to be one way, but additional ratings and the instrument in particular seems to be another so planning on both.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!

Congrats! Good luck with the instrument.

Well yesterday was the greatest day of my life next to my kids being born (okay and getting married). Passed my Privet Pilot Checkride!!!!!

While I have been more of a lurker than a poster, wanted to say Thank You to the community. There is an amazing amount of experience are knowledge here and I have no doubt that what is discussed here helped me through in more ways than I will ever know.

I am going to say it and I am sure it will be ignored by most (just like I did). The checkride is not that bad. Now that I know what I know, DO NOT stress out over this. You will be kicking yourself after it is over that you stressed out so much.

Main advice to getting through the checkride...... get a really good score on the written. I had a very good score on my written and the guy asked me a bunch of questions but never grilled me on anything. He even commented that a high written score leaves him with less to go probe for.

Took the family up today, wow that was amazing. I can not put into words how satisfying it was to have the wife and kids in the plane in awe and amazement as we did our short 45 min get to know GA flight. Made the crap ton of money I spent to this point well worth it.

Now I am on to my instrument rating. Will start that in two weeks. Need a little down time after all. I want to be a better pilot and flying regularly seems to be one way, but additional ratings and the instrument in particular seems to be another so planning on both.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!

Congrats. I'm working on my instrument and my son passed his PPL checkride just today.

Congrats. I'm working on my instrument and my son passed his PPL checkride just today.

Wow that is great. My kids are 3 and 6 so they have a little ways to go. I think if one or both of them learned to fly the day they past their check ride would be close to my proudest moment.

...I made a 95 on the written and my oral for my PPL was almost 3 hours long...and I was killing it. So, you just had a cool DPE.

That said, you are definitely in better shape out of the gate handing over a piece of paper with a high score...my guess is that those that push one over with anything below an 80 are going to be in the hot seat. But, a high score obviously doesn't translate into a short oral.

Good luck on the IFR...I'm planning on starting mine later this year.

This really is true, especially for someone who is prepared. However, it's easy to say, but not easy to follow when you're the guy taking the checkride. But after the fact, yep, I agree with you it was easy, much easier than I thought it would be.

I got a 97% on the written and came to the oral very well prepared. The DPE didn't comment on either, but I know those two things helped.

Congrats on passing the ride. I too am considering starting instrument training this summer if funds permit.

Congratulations! Passing the checkride is a memorable day indeed! :thumbsup:

Back