On the roll..

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
The run-up thread started me on this one. Refresh me, or teach me new ones.
You enter the runway and are adding power. What engine indications are you visually checking on the panel, and when (after first starting to accelerate). Anyone have a verbal reminder they use? Doesn't matter what you fly, we know it will differ between types.

Oil temp and pressure as the airspeed comes alive. Also a quick glance at the tach once full power is applied to make sure I'm in the green and making full power. This is in a 172.

Oil temp on the rise prior to adding power, oil pressure increase once power is in, RPM once rolling to ensure takeoff power is within tolerance. I don't look at it again until TPA. Also in a 172.

Verbal: mixture and prop full, lights on

Visually: engine "green" (oil pressure & temperature, tach max rpm, no red on the tach)

meanwhile, setting throttle for desired boost then check fuel flow for expected value for selected manifold pressure

airspeed is alive by now so just wait for 70 knots to rotate

turbo boosted engine with sorta fixed wastegate keeps ya kinda busy during the initial part of the roll...

Though I should probably check oil pressure as well,

I basically check...

Airspeed Alive

Canopy Latched

5,200 RPM

I'm reminded of the canopy part when I look at my airspeed:

15421910260_8b4b5597be_z.jpg

It only took one time of NOT latching the canopy to make me VERY careful to check it repeatedly! :yes:

Engine readings "In the green" with the MP/RPM appropriate for altitude, airspeed coming up.

Oil pres, static RPM, nothing out of wack on a quick glance at all EGT/CHT, airspeed alive.

Oil temp and 200f CHTs, vac, mag drops, positive charge, etc should be verified before you line up.

I used to say 'engine instruments in the green' but now I call each one out individually to ensure I don't just say it. "oil pressure, good. oil temp, good...."

I check to ensure the oil pressure and engine temperature are in the green, manifold pressure and fuel flow are up and the airspeed is alive. On the roll I'm making sure the mixture is set properly and the prop is full forward.

GA: Airspeed Alive "Airspeed Alive"
Engine @ Full Power "TOGA Power"
Engine Data in the Green

Airline: Engine Data in the Green "Set Thrust / Thrust Set XX.X"
Airspeed Crossed Checked @ 80kts "80kts, Cross Check"
Any Warning Messages or Aural Alerts

I tend to eyeball the JPI cyl temps not for any number but to see if they are pretty even - I think it's a useful indicator of powerplant health.
How about vacuum gauge scan (for those using air instruments), if soon to be imc?

Airspeed alive,gauges in the green,liftoff.

Airspeed alive,gauges in the green,liftoff.

Eyeballs - I'm looking for stable oil pressure and that the engine is producing takeoff power(RPM). Engine monitor is right next to the tach so a cursory glance at the EGTs to make sure one isn't going crazy. Fuel pressure gauge is above the tach so I'm looking at that as well.

Verbal - "Oil pressure looks good, rpm looks good, airpseed alive".

When I rotate, concentration moves to the airspeed indicator for the appropriate pitch and I also keep my scan moving on the oil pressure gauge. I hope that if something goes, I might get an early warning if there are fluctuations.

RPM at 2700, fuel flow above 26 GPH, EGT and CHT bar graphs level, quick glance at oil pressure (way down by my knees).

Getting a new one-screen engine gauge package, all will be in clear view, front and center -can't wait!

RPM at 2700, fuel flow above 26 GPH, EGT and CHT bar graphs level, quick glance at oil pressure (way down by my knees).

Getting a new one-screen engine gauge package, all will be in clear view, front and center -can't wait!
What kind of airplane and what engine package?

After rolling a bit, I check AS alive, and the tach (172). Or, sometimes, neither. It's a 172, after all - zi'd kinda feel if it easn't accelerating correctly, and the AS usn't critical as much as convenient.

The run-up thread started me on this one. Refresh me, or teach me new ones.
You enter the runway and are adding power. What engine indications are you visually checking on the panel, and when (after first starting to accelerate).
If there's a passenger in the front seat, I can't see any of them, so none. Otherwise, RPM right after full throttle and make sure oil pressure and temp is still in the green.

Prior to taking the runway, especially an unfamiliar runway or short runway/high DA, basically anything limiting the takeoff, brief takeoff expected roll distance, runway length, go/no-go stop point down the runway, and any obstacles or good places to go when the fan quits, if I have it. At a familiar airport, this is just in my head. I'll get more formal with it the more limitations I'm looking down the barrel of a gun at.

Rolling onto the runway, final instrument check, DG matches runway heading, lights on if any were turned off (With the latest "guidance", if it won't cause any safety issues, I'm already taxiing with everything lit anymore. It used to be the strobes were "to go" on the checklist, but often not anymore...), confirm transponder ALT (also nearly useless with current guidance that it should be operating at all times, even during ground movement, unless asked to turn it off), and line up.

Quick but forceful look at every gauge and control, starting from right to left. Engine instruments must be green over there on the right or the power doesn't come up. Flow all the way across, checking everything. Usually right here the takeoff clearance is given if it's a "line up and wait", or it was given prior to taxing onto the runway. Either way, final mental confirmation of takeoff clearance, and Set clock hands to departure time here also at far left / bottom of panel.

Throttle up. Hand stays behind but not grabbing throttle, guarding it forward, and thumb assures the carb heat is off. Mixture also goes forward at this point if not operating at home, otherwise it's already set.

Look to engine quadrant for all green, with focus on MP, RPM, oil pressure and oil temp. Can also catch a last glance at fuel load and ammeter here.

Airspeed indicator now. Alive. Wait for 55 and rotate. If something happens before 55, abort on the runway. Full braking and throttle closed.

Airplane will fly off immediately with the STOL kit in any flap configuration below 40 degrees at 55 knots, so pitch for Vx or Vy (or if IMC, half a bar or a full bar on the AI which usually gets it damn close to either one), and evil eye the VSI. If performing a max STOL takeoff, one can pitch harder and sooner, and then work on milking the flaps out to speed up to Vx or Vy.

Altitude. Once we've climbed through the safe return altitude, another look at engine instruments and if possible and not at high DA, time to get the prop back. Vernier it back to 2450 and continue the climb. Watch both RPM and oil pressure as its pulled back. Also make mental note of EGT at this time, both making sure it's not something outrageous and also for knowing where to lean to during the climb.

Checklist from there. That's where my eyeballs and brain usually go through the process, with occasional interruptions from ATC "contact departure", and a flip of the already set flip flop on Comm 1 and a glance at the altimeter for the altitude for the check in.

Know where your point of no return is on the runway if you are short field. I once had to abort because airspeed wasn't coming up. Even though it was a 4700 ft runway, I took it all the way to the end (not braking hard though). I think I was probably pretty close to 50 kts when I pulled the throttle. Reason it took so long was that I was getting some AS indication during the initial roll, and then it sank down towards zero. Maintenance guy said a gnat probably had crawled into the pitot tube.

Seat of the pants
feel of the fingers and toes
airspeed alive
traffic no conflict

Verbal: mixture and prop full, lights on

Visually: engine "green" (oil pressure & temperature, tach max rpm, no red on the tach)

meanwhile, setting throttle for desired boost then check fuel flow for expected value for selected manifold pressure

airspeed is alive by now so just wait for 70 knots to rotate

turbo boosted engine with sorta fixed wastegate keeps ya kinda busy during the initial part of the roll...

Yes, one eye on the MP and the other eye on everything else....

"Power Up" - RPM and MP normal
"Pressure Good"
"Airspeed Alive"

If there is possible carb ice conditions, I'll also check that the UBG-16 is set to display Carb Temp so I can closely monitor that in the climb. Our engine is prone to carb ice during full power climbs (it's happened to me twice).

I don't look again at engine temps again because I have a master warning light right in front of me for the UBG-16 that will tell me if a temp is high - which isn't likely to happen until well into the climb phase.

Prior to taking the runway, especially an unfamiliar runway or short runway/high DA, basically anything limiting the takeoff, brief takeoff expected roll distance, runway length, go/no-go stop point down the runway, and any obstacles or good places to go when the fan quits, if I have it. At a familiar airport, this is just in my head. I'll get more formal with it the more limitations I'm looking down the barrel of a gun at.

The Husky takes off in 300 feet so only time for OP and seat of the pants.

In the Mirage I look at runway position.. at least 60KTS at 1000 ft. at gross + MP42 + Turbo feel + OP + Temps. Abort right after 1000 ft if not making speed and seeing/feeling turbo power.

The Husky takes off in 300 feet so only time for OP and seat of the pants.

In the Mirage I look at runway position.. at least 60KTS at 1000 ft. at gross + MP42 + Turbo feel + OP + Temps. Abort right after 1000 ft if not making speed and seeing/feeling turbo power.
Huskies take off very quickly. I like Huskies. :D

Back