"On taxi approach"...

Right before that they said the plane "landing at the Shiprock airport when it go caught in a crosswind and was pushed off the runway".

Strange...

It means the investigation into the crash is continuing.

Ha I knew that. I was pointing out the stupidity inherent in the press article.

Too subtle I guess. I figured we all know the press rarely gets anything right with the word "airplane" in it.

Too subtle I guess. I figured we all know the press rarely gets anything right with the word "airplane" in it.
We aviators recognize that because we have good knowledge of airplanes. There's no reason to believe the press does a better job with subjects we have limited knowledge of.

We aviators recognize that because we have good knowledge of airplanes. There's no reason to believe the press does a better job with subjects we have limited knowledge of.

Oh I know they don't... you should read some of their "tech" articles. :) :) :)

Ha I knew that. I was pointing out the stupidity inherent in the press article.

Quite a lot of angst for three words at the end of one sentence at the end of an article that's at least two iPad screens long. That's lengthy by today's brief attention span standards! How often does the camera switch in TV now, every 3 or 4 seconds?

Other than the end of this one sentence, the article was decent for the general public. If you want accurate aviation news, or accurate tech news, or accurate investment news, don't look to the general media as they only recap and hit the high spots, dumbed down to about 5th or 6th grade level so as to not lose too many of their intended audience.

Quite a lot of angst for three words at the end of one sentence at the end of an article that's at least two iPad screens long. That's lengthy by today's brief attention span standards! How often does the camera switch in TV now, every 3 or 4 seconds?

Other than the end of this one sentence, the article was decent for the general public. If you want accurate aviation news, or accurate tech news, or accurate investment news, don't look to the general media as they only recap and hit the high spots, dumbed down to about 5th or 6th grade level so as to not lose too many of their intended audience.

Angst? Nah... posted mainly for entertainment value of the collected peanut gallery. I don't care if the press gets it right. :)

More interestingly was the APRS tracker. I've always joked that if I bothered to put one together and take it flying, it'd probably end up tracking me right to the crash site... and in this case, for this guy, it did...

Looks like he was using a TinyTrak3 based around a PIC16F628. The TinyTrak4 can send and receive and they switched the design to an ATMEGA644. Interesting array of products those guys have.

It's weird that I was recently thinking similar thoughts about taking an APRS transmitter up in a plane, now all this. If I do build one, I'll remember to shut it off when I'm on taxi approach. Thanks denverpilot!

The tech world is full of interesting potholes. I keep wondering when the first case of "We'd like to subpoena the footage from those sixteen GoPros you had running footage in the airplane," is going to occur to hang someone by their own rear end with a mistake, too.

I just watched a video by the Internet "personality" that goes by FlightChops about how he's pushing for students to run at least two cameras on every flight for accurate and useful debriefings and he's creating a "safe" place to upload these videos for non-judgemental debriefings online.

Only problem is: What will he say as the server operator when he receives a subpoena for footage from the site?

Folks have mentioned here before to questioners in the medical forum who posted that their first course of action should probably be to stop posting evidence online against themselves.

Recordings are great, until they're not.

It's not all bad. The latest trend among criminals is to record their crimes and upload them if they don't get caught. I say "Thanks!"
Case would have gone unsolved were it not for that 1080p footage of the crime and the perp's face.

It really doesn't both me if other people want to behave this way. It's their choice :)

I have been into the Shiprock airport many times. The wind can be really, really atrocious at times, up to 70 in the spring and summer. I am thinking they were taxying and the wind possibly dumped it over.

Does that mean they were on approach to taxi departure, then, or just taxi approach to the departure point? If the winds were that stiff they should have never called up for the pushback.

Does that mean they were on approach to taxi departure, then, or just taxi approach to the departure point? If the winds were that stiff they should have never called up for the pushback.

Pushback in a Cessna 180 D model? LOL!

Says the guy who's avatar is a Cessna breaking the sound barrier. ;)

I can't put a smiley face on the avatar... well, actually I suppose I could, but it doesn't mean the same thing on an avatar.

I couldn't tell if he didn't read the article at all, or if he was kidding. Around here (PoA) I'd assume the latter. On Facebook, I always assume the former. You wouldn't believe how many comments you'll get on an article that have absolutely nothing to do with the posted article over there. People there see "trigger words" only, never click and read, and then respond with the strangest things. PoA is WAY better in this regard.

You don't have to 'splain nuttin to me. I've been on several boards and people will ALWAYS take things or read them the wrong way. You....took my comment the right way. ;)

I'm obviously kidding :) Though I have to admit I've always wanted to call for a tug from the jet center on a light sport and take some amusing photographs.

Back