on Synthroid & Possible starting HRT ... medical?

WBI Flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Groundhog
I have wanted to fly my whole life. Just this last weekend I was lost in a dreamworld hearing my great uncle talk about his days as a B17 pilot. He doesn't volunteer the stories, but when I ask, he opens up, and I am transported to a dreamworld as he talks - albeit without the terrifying likelyhood of dying.... 50 combat missions in the B17. Anyway.. I took a first lesson last fall and started studying, but I couldn't really dive in... so lessons are on hold until I know I can start and finish.

In the meantime, I am in continued treatment after a partial thyroidectomy 2 years ago (benign tumor). 100mcg synthroid daily.

While I feel better on the Synthroid, I do not feel 100% as before surgery, so while chasing things down, my endo is looking at my testosterone. I tested 328 and 367 for Total Test(6 months apart). I'm 38 years old. We ran some more blood tests today (LH, Free T, Total T, TSH, Cortisol) and bumped up my synthroid from 75mcg to 100mcg to see if that helps. If things are not improved in 4 weeks, Endo is looking at a possible 2 month trial for testosterone to see if that brings my energy levels back to normal.
We are testing for primary/secondary ... etc. Neither he nor I are "jonesing" to start HRT, but if that is what is needed, I am willing.

What should I be aware of looking at possible future 1st and/or 2nd class medical? Am I out of luck? ok? on the edge?

For what it's worth: because of this forum, your stories, vulnerabilities, and insight, I will be a better pilot than I would've been without it.

So thanks.

I have wanted to fly my whole life. Just this last weekend I was lost in a dreamworld hearing my great uncle talk about his days as a B17 pilot. He doesn't volunteer the stories, but when I ask, he opens up, and I am transported to a dreamworld as he talks - albeit without the terrifying likelyhood of dying.... 50 combat missions in the B17. Anyway.. I took a first lesson last fall and started studying, but I couldn't really dive in... so lessons are on hold until I know I can start and finish.

In the meantime, I am in continued treatment after a partial thyroidectomy 2 years ago (benign tumor). 100mcg synthroid daily.

While I feel better on the Synthroid, I do not feel 100% as before surgery, so while chasing things down, my endo is looking at my testosterone. I tested 328 and 367 for Total Test(6 months apart). I'm 38 years old. We ran some more blood tests today (LH, Free T, Total T, TSH, Cortisol) and bumped up my synthroid from 75mcg to 100mcg to see if that helps. If things are not improved in 4 weeks, Endo is looking at a possible 2 month trial for testosterone to see if that brings my energy levels back to normal.
We are testing for primary/secondary ... etc. Neither he nor I are "jonesing" to start HRT, but if that is what is needed, I am willing.

What should I be aware of looking at possible future 1st and/or 2nd class medical? Am I out of luck? ok? on the edge?

For what it's worth: because of this forum, your stories, vulnerabilities, and insight, I will be a better pilot than I would've been without it.

So thanks.
Wait for Dr. Bruce to answer you. FWIW I know at least a couple professional pilots who take some meds for their thyroid. I don't know which ones, though. I do know that whatever you are taking, your hormones need to be within certain limits and stable.

Have your Endo look at Free T3 (taken as "Cytomel"), which is very neglected, as well as testosterone. So long as the endo is able to write that you are being competently replaced with physiologic testosterone (ENDO, not a family doc) you will be fine.

Update: all levels came back as normal, and lifestyle adjustment brought the testosterone right up where it should be. All is better now,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back