On SI, when to report eye medication?

U

Unregistered

I decided to see an opthalmologist this year, as the optometrist always says my occular pressure is a little high, but nothing to worry about. For years now, same deal every year at my eye check.

The opthalmologist did a full run of tests, measured in the morning, afternoon, poked and prodded and said my pressure was a little high but no sign of nerve damage or glaucoma and put me on timolol. Said it was not unusual for moderate to high myopes to have pressures a little high. (as I remember, the readings were 22 at the highest). The eye drops are meant to be prophylactic to prevent any damage as I get older. Been on it now for a while, pressures are well into the lower normal range, no side effects, etc. Monitoring me every 4 months with a brief check up, says I need to come to him every year for my refractive exams.

Called AOPA medline on the phone, timolol is approved. No need to report until my next medical, which is my last 3yr IIIrd class, due in 2007.

Ok, so here's the part I'm trying my best to understand the procedures. I'm on a SI for sleep apnea. Doing fine, no problems, etc. The RFS letter did NOT require me to undergo a medical each year, I only need to send a letter to the RFS from my treating physician. The RFS letter specifically says that I am not required to undergo a medical until 2007.

So, it's up this month, the letter for apnea has just been sent in to the RFS.

On the timolol question, do I need to report now, do I need to get my eye doc to fill out form 8-whatever to say I don't have glaucoma and also report that to the RFS, or do I wait until 2007 and have him fill out a current report at that time for my next IIIrd class medical?

I'm just trying to stay legal. I just don't understand the regs completely as to what I'm supposed to do here.

Anonymous said:
On the timolol question, do I need to report now, do I need to get my eye doc to fill out form 8-whatever to say I don't have glaucoma and also report that to the RFS, or do I wait until 2007 and have him fill out a current report at that time for my next IIIrd class medical?
In your situation, you have a valid (3 yr) 3rd class medical with and annual followup on an SI condition. A person taking timolol without glaucoma would NOT need to report early, only self ground if unable to comply with 61.53 (operation with deficiency). But 90 days prior to your renewal medical, you will need a followup with the opthalmologist and a completed 8500-14 (evaluation for glaucoma) to convince the AME that you in fact do NOT have glaucoma.

Glaucoma without loss of visual fields is not disqualifing. You did well by going to get checked. Just remember 90 days prior to the 2007 renewal, go and get the 8500-14 filled out and bring it with you to the AME. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back