On my way!

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
So I finally got out to the airport this morning to get my last 3 circuits at a controlled field, and my next flight will be my checkride for the PPL. From what my instructor says, I was very lucky to get my solo in, as it's the only solo he's had since November due to all the crappy weather. Our flight school's minimums for wind are 7kts total wind (reasonable), with only 2kts Xwind component (ridiculous!) and a ceiling of at least 5000 AGL. Now these are for the first solo, and since I'd done all my other requirements at my old flight school, this was technically a "first solo" as far as the flight school was concerned. Still... Anyway, things worked out my way and the weather cooperated. Now, hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll be a fully-fledged pilot! Gosh, it has seemed like forever since my intro flight last May. Time to read over Captain Levy's Checkride Advice!

Excellent! Looking forward to hearing about your passed checkride!

...as it's the only solo he's had since November due to all the crappy weather. Our flight school's minimums for wind are 7kts total wind (reasonable), with only 2kts Xwind component (ridiculous!) and a ceiling of at least 5000 AGL.

That's ridiculous...even the 7 knot total wind. I soloed in about 7 knots of crosswind, I think. I could check in my logbook, because my instructor set my crosswind limit right at what it was that day. Good thing these limits won't matter for you any longer :). Oh also, a 5000 ft ceiling? Seriously? Even for pattern ops? Those clouds are 4000 feet above you...it's not like clouds fall down out of the sky.

Good luck on the ride, We're all counting on you.

And don't eat the fish.

But in all seriousness, best of luck to you!

Oh also, a 5000 ft ceiling? Seriously?

Sorry--re-checked on that. The ceiling is a somewhat more sensible 3000ft AGL, not 5000. Basically as long as it's not MVFR. The winds of 7kt and 2kt are correct though---funny because my first instructor had originally signed me off for 5kt xwinds on my first solo and then basically left it to my discretion after that. The new flight school lost a Diamond on a prop strike a couple years past, leaving them with higher insurance, so they compensated by making the mins stricter.

Oh also, a 5000 ft ceiling? Seriously? Even for pattern ops?

For pattern ops that would seem rather silly. But for leaving the area, that could be reasonable in mountainous terrain. Even at sea level, I can't go far with a 3000 foot ceiling due to the mountains. At least, not without scud-running through the passes.

And sometimes the ceilings get lower as the terrain gets higher. If it's severe, you'll get an AIRMET SIERRA for mountain obscuration, but it can be dangerous even if there is some space between the clouds and mountains.

Sorry--re-checked on that. The ceiling is a somewhat more sensible 3000ft AGL, not 5000. Basically as long as it's not MVFR. The winds of 7kt and 2kt are correct though---funny because my first instructor had originally signed me off for 5kt xwinds on my first solo and then basically left it to my discretion after that. The new flight school lost a Diamond on a prop strike a couple years past, leaving them with higher insurance, so they compensated by making the mins stricter.

Ooh gotcha. Insurance companies do tend to dictate everything...

For pattern ops that would seem rather silly. But for leaving the area, that could be reasonable in mountainous terrain. Even at sea level, I can't go far with a 3000 foot ceiling due to the mountains. At least, not without scud-running through the passes.

And sometimes the ceilings get lower as the terrain gets higher. If it's severe, you'll get an AIRMET SIERRA for mountain obscuration, but it can be dangerous even if there is some space between the clouds and mountains.

Yeah, I didn't think about terrain...I'm a flatlander from the East Coast. My airport is a whopping 15 ft above sea level. I don't worry too much about those big earthy things that can get in your way. 3000 makes a little more sense.

Yeah, I didn't think about terrain...I'm a flatlander from the East Coast. My airport is a whopping 15 ft above sea level. I don't worry too much about those big earthy things that can get in your way. 3000 makes a little more sense.

Yeah, I'm in the hill-lands of Pittsburgh, and the highest thing in the surrounding area is the airport, so there's really nothing earth-wise to worry about unless you're just being stupid.

Even with insurance restrictions they seem they seem quite restrictive. I had 10 knots xwind limits on my first solo and 15 knots after that, though to tell you the truth I still try to avoid 15 knot direct cross winds. Anyhow good luck on the checkride.

Back