On a mission

By finesse, you mean sputtering out sentence fragments and lighting things on fire?

Bryan,

Congratulations!

Have you or your dad joined COPA yet? It's a very valuable resource.

I'm not very active there any more, but still post on rare occasion.

I did get certified as a CSIP, so I have a passing knowledge of the SR22 if you or your dad have any issues.

Oh, you saw my landing?
:lol:

Here comes the meat wagon...wee-uuuu wee-uuuu. Medic gets out, hes like "Oh...My....God...." new guy is puking his guts out, all because you wanted to land a Cirrus...

wot are you on about now? just pull the red handle and it'll land jus' fine

haha

I pulled the black handle over the numbers and will not do that again.
that was a pretty good thunk.

My SR22 landed quite well at or near stall speed with power to idle at 50' if not sooner.

Some of the newer planes with composite props have a lot more drag from the prop and may not take well to that technique.

But yours looks like an aluminum prop, so that should not be an issue.

On the whole, they are easy planes to land, so I wonder what your exact problem is.

My problem is that it it's a different technique than the TB.
Just need to unlearn some things

That HAS to be HARD EIGHT.

I LOVE THEIR FOOD.

Find - don't find - give up finding - who cares? Just eat good food, and live well.

The picture does say "www.HardEightBBQ.com" on the right hand side, so good guess.

I agree, Hard Eight is great, my last project was in Las Colinas for 10 weeks and I bet we ate there (Coppell) 15 times.

The picture does say "www.HardEightBBQ.com" on the right hand side, so good guess.

I agree, Hard Eight is great, my last project was in Las Colinas for 10 weeks and I bet we ate there (Coppell) 15 times.

I work in Las Colinas. It is a beautiful place.
The coppell Hard 8 is good but the Stephenville Hard 8 is the pilot's Hard 8

How does one usually get from the airport to Hard Eight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using your feet appears to be the simple option since it's adjacent to the airport.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hard8.jpg
    hard8.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Yep. You can walk or call the restaurant and they will pick you up.
The FBO has a note with a phone number for them to come get you.

Using your feet appears to be the simple option since it's adjacent to the airport.

One really nice days, we walk from the ramp to the restaurant. But they will also send out a car to fetch you (and bring you back) if you ask.

The owner of the place was a smart guy to pick this location. Close to a good runway, and at the juncture of two major Texas roadways. On weekends, you will see the airport ramp filled with aircraft of all sizes/types. And the parking lot is filled with motorcycles of all sizes/types.

I bet we ate there (Coppell) 15 times.

I've been to the one in Coppell, when I visit the DFW area our rep takes us to lunch there. Very good eats, love topping it off with a bowl of peach cobbler and a scoop of vanilla. Of course, I fall asleep as he drives us to the next customer visit.

I met up with Bryan and got to sit in the Cirrus yesterday. Gave me a first hand look why their owners come to like them. It's done really well from an ergonomic standpoint with all controls laid out well and avionics within easy reach.

From the P & I viewpoint, it appears well kept. About the only item I would change would be to add to the panel an additional placard with the N#. The one it did have was above the attitude indicator and was hidden by the glareshield.

Daddy6PC got a good one. I wish them all lots of awesome flights in it!

I've been to the one in Coppell, when I visit the DFW area our rep takes us to lunch there. Very good eats, love topping it off with a bowl of peach cobbler and a scoop of vanilla. Of course, I fall asleep as he drives us to the next customer visit.

Best BBQ in the DFW area? Hands down Pecan Lodge.

http://www.pecanlodge.com/

Hard 8 used to have a couple of golf carts staged at the airport for pilots, but as will often happen, they were abused and, hence, withdrawn. I don't think it was pilots who did the abusing, but who knows?

When the Hard 8 first opened, there was a sign in the back (behind where the beans are) pointing upstairs to the Pilot Lounge, which was quite comfy, leather chairs, a flight planning computer and aviation magazines for leisurely reading. Long gone, but nice whole it lasted...

Filed for future reference, although I have no immediate trip plans for that area.

I think Pecan Lodge is OK, but I am less thrilled with it than many; for me, the best in Dallas is at Lockhart Barbecue in Oak Cliff (it is the local of Lockhart's Kreuz Market).

Also, have had awesome brisket from CattleAck, but it's only open two or three days a week, something like that.

At least the day has finally come that, when someone asks where's the best barbecue in Dallas, the honest answer is no longer, "Austin."

Well I'll resurrect this as I got my sign off yesterday.

CISP got me good btw.
Unusual attitudes: we did 4-5 and each time, I closed my eyes w/ my hands in my lap. "Ok, your airplane" He would say.

I look at my AI and recover.

On the last one, "Okay your airplane". I open my eyes and he had placed covers over the AI and HSI. Only words I could formulate is "You arsehole"

I got the signoff, my HP endorsement, and a BFR to boot.

I owe a few people rides that were VERY nice to me while I was plane-less and flew me around.

I have a good grasp of the speed and slowing it down. All the landings in this plane are greasers. It has a very elegant transition from the wings to the wheels since there is no major nose up flare like in the TB.

I am still chasing altitude a little bit but not as bad as I was initially.

Oh well. Couple flights to share and then Back to IR studies.

HAHA!
Sorry. I did.

One cool trick he did was a long steep turn to the left and gradually reduced the turn.
He asked me "What do you think the plane is doing?"

I said I fell like I am in a level turn to the right.

Opened my eyes and we were in about a 20 degree level turn to the left.
Interesting stuff.

HAHA!
Sorry. I did.

One cool trick he did was a long steep turn to the left and gradually reduced the turn.
He asked me "What do you think the plane is doing?"

I said I fell like I am in a level turn to the right.

Opened my eyes and we were in about a 20 degree level turn to the left.
Interesting stuff.

Did he teach you "Mickey Mouse" for unusual attitude recovery? I realize that many folks think the MM technique is too advanced for mere VFR drivers but I'm all for pushing it to other ranks...

Mickey Mouse:

Heading indicator is Mickey's Face
Airspeed and Altitude are the ears.

Look at the ears first:

1) airspeed dropping and altitude increasing, push nose down add throttle if needed

2) airspeed increasing and altitude dropping, pull throttle

then look at the face:

3) heading changing, roll to stop heading change and pull nose up if #2

now you can look at AI...:D

Mickey Mouse:

Look at the ears first:

1) airspeed dropping and altitude increasing, push nose down add throttle if needed

then look at the face:

This is the way I was taught (without the Mickey mouse thing). Never started with the AI.
My instructor said a faulty AI is probably the reason I end up in an unusual attitude in the first place, so use the others.

My Mom lives there.

It is a nice area. They built it up when I was little and about 10-15 years ago, it was starting to die off but over the last few years, they have really brought it back to life. It is a beautiful place.

I work in the tall-ish flat building at the bottom right.
They have gondolas going up and down that lake and a monorail that you can ride to lunch. There is a lot to do

99996739845.jpg

Last edited:
Mickey Mouse:

Look at the ears first:

then look at the face:

This is the way I was taught (without the Mickey mouse thing). Never started with the AI.
My instructor said a faulty AI is probably the reason I end up in an unusual attitude in the first place, so use the others.

I understand the wisdom in this. But if you are in a spiral dive, won't simply pulling back cause more problems? I understand you need to stop the turn first, then arrest the descent.

It is a nice area. They built it up when I was little and about 10-15 years ago, it was starting to die off but over the last few years, they have really brought it back to life. It is a beautiful place.

They have gondolas going up and down that lake and a monorail that you can ride to lunch. There is a lot to do

99996739845.jpg

She worked for a small time in Williams Square where the Mustang statutes are before GTE (now Verizon) moved into their huge corporate head quarters. I'll be at the Omni Mandalay March 25-27 for SMU's Aviation Law symposium. When I was still in college, I loved coming to visit and sitting outside along the canal to at the Texas Café along the canal. Usually, there were days during the Christmas holiday when we could do that comfortably. Also, I loved the Sunday brunch at Humperdink's. I guess that's closed, now. I'm pretty familiar with contents of that photo.

I understand the wisdom in this. But if you are in a spiral dive, won't simply pulling back cause more problems? I understand you need to stop the turn first, then arrest the descent.

Yup and that's what the procedure calls for: if airspeed is increasing and altitude decreasing pull the throttle ensure wings level and pull nose up

Yup and that's what the procedure calls for: if airspeed is increasing and altitude decreasing pull the throttle ensure wings level and pull nose up

Ah, re-read. My apologies.

Well I'll resurrect this as I got my sign off yesterday.

CISP got me good btw.

Oh well. Couple flights to share and then Back to IR studies.

Did you have a hard time getting insured in an SR22 without an IR? I know when we looked at putting one in a club, an IR was going to be required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you have a hard time getting insured in an SR22 without an IR? I know when we looked at putting one in a club, an IR was going to be required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nah but it does affect the cost, they just required the transition training.
The price cuts in half when I get my IR.

Everybody always freaks out on first year insurance costs. They don't stay there. Just figure that year one premium part of the upgrade cost. Say if the last plane had been an SR-20 that you learned in, your premium would be much lower.

Last edited:

99996739845.jpg

My wife works in the tall-ish building in the upper left (Williams Square)

Back