OMG What Do I Do?

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All,

I have a friend that flies UPS freight. This is a true story and I just wanted everyone's opinion.

He had just lined up with the ILS coming into Wichita. He was in total IMC.

At 4,000 feet he had a total electrical failure.

What should he do?

He was in a Grand Caravan and it was around 1 a.m.

No icing or adverse weather conditions. Just black, black, and more black.

Terry

p.s.> After a few posts I will tell you what he did. And yes, He stills flies for UPS. :yikes:

He put his flashlight in his teeth then used it to illuminate his standby artificial horizon, which was battery powered.. then got no-gyro vectors (even though he had a gyro) to a landing or visual conditions.

He put his flashlight in his teeth then used it to illuminate his standby artificial horizon, which was battery powered.. then got no-gyro vectors (even though he had a gyro) to a landing or visual conditions.

On what? His handheld radio?

If this wasn't in a sim (in which case I'd turn around and laugh at the instructor), and if the weather wasn't at minimums and there wasn't good VFR nearby, here's one idea that ran through my head:

You said he was established on the ILS. Do as Doggtyred suggests with the flashlight, hold heading ROCK DAMN SOLID and NAIL the VSI on the number you need, and keep it there til you're at minimums. See the lights, land. Change pants.

Well, then, a lot depends.

Ceiling at minimums, or 1500'?

If reasonable, I keep the heading nailed, and maintain steady-rate.

If low ceiling, do I have enough fuel to fly to VMC, and can I get on-top reasonably easily? If so, that's my call.

Also, if I have a decent GPS (496?), I can use that to get to the threshold.

Well, then, a lot depends.

Ceiling at minimums, or 1500'?

If reasonable, I keep the heading nailed, and maintain steady-rate.

If low ceiling, do I have enough fuel to fly to VMC, and can I get on-top reasonably easily? If so, that's my call.

Also, if I have a decent GPS (496?), I can use that to get to the threshold.

Sounds like we're on the same page!

I would start opening boxes (UPS cargo plane) looking for a back up panel? :crazy:

What did he do?

Hi All,

Good answers!

He dug his flashlight out of his back pack he had behind the seat, put it in his mouth, and continued on final.

He broke out at 1,000 above and landed. As soon as he touched down, all the electrical came back on.

Something I didn't say was that it went dead on him earlier and came back on and he had told the tower of his problem then in case he lost the electrical a second time.

He had it checked out and they repaired a broken ground wire.

Now he carries a flashlight, and a handheld radio with him anytime he is flying. BTW, he carries it right next to him, not behind the seat.

Terry :D

See, Troy and I are ready for the freight dog world.

On what? His handheld radio?

If this wasn't in a sim (in which case I'd turn around and laugh at the instructor), and if the weather wasn't at minimums and there wasn't good VFR nearby, here's one idea that ran through my head:

You said he was established on the ILS. Do as Doggtyred suggests with the flashlight, hold heading ROCK DAMN SOLID and NAIL the VSI on the number you need, and keep it there til you're at minimums. See the lights, land. Change pants.

+1..this is what you do..this is why you ALWAYS bug/note the heading thats nailing the localizer and note VSI thats nailing the GS

I have had a total electrical failure. Fortunately, it was night-VMC (and not IFR), and I was 15 miles from my home base, so I made it in easily.

The experience made me realize that flying IFR without a good handheld GPS is a risk I am not willing to take. As well, I have a handheld nav/com as a backup.

I presently fly with a Garmin396, and when IMC, I always pull up the approaches on the Garmin as a backup to my panel-mount instruments.

If I was in the scenario described by the OP, and VMC wasn't forecast within a reasonable distance or time... I would continue to fly the approach using the heading I'd captured the ILS, and use the 396 to make course corrections as necessary.

Hi All,

I have a friend that flies UPS freight. This is a true story and I just wanted everyone's opinion.

He had just lined up with the ILS coming into Wichita. He was in total IMC.

At 4,000 feet he had a total electrical failure.

What should he do?

He was in a Grand Caravan and it was around 1 a.m.

No icing or adverse weather conditions. Just black, black, and more black.

Terry

p.s.> After a few posts I will tell you what he did. And yes, He stills flies for UPS. :yikes:

I've had two electrical failures: once in a C152 as a Student Pilot, another in a -35 Bo while IFR.

I bought the Sporty's SP-200 handheld early in my student days and use it now in my Chief. It wasn't a requirement on the C152, cross PA flight, but it made it a bit less lonely as I entered Harrisburg TRSA and then was cleared to land at the home base Lancaster Class D.

In the Bo, I had alternator failure, told PIT APP on the handheld that I was heading direct to FWQ. I though I heard Approved but couldn't be sure, repeated and arrived in MVFR.

I like my handheld, even though it's not critical. A handheld GPS is also a nice-to-have IFR.

I'm less concerned with the handheld radio, but the handheld GPS is very nice to have. Mine does approaches and all - definitely a major plus. A handheld radio is on the list for Santa if I'm good this year.

I'm less concerned with the handheld radio, but the handheld GPS is very nice to have. Mine does approaches and all - definitely a major plus. A handheld radio is on the list for Santa if I'm good this year.

With a handheld GPS you could easily continue the descent (assuming the handheld was already configured to fly the approach) although I'd have second thoughts about continuing below the LOC mins if I had any other viable options. And unless I knew there was no possibility of climbing back up and flying to a VMC landing I'd probably go missed and see if I couldn't get something working again then fly to the better weather. With the GPS you shouldn't have any trouble finding your way and could even come back to the same runway you were originally aimed at if that turned out to be the most favorable option.

It doesn't earn me many fashion style points, but I have a head-mounted flashlight (e.g. a Petzl) either on my head, or hanging around my neck, any time I'm flying at night.

Neither "dig through the backpack to find the flashlight" nor "hold it in my teeth" appeal to me very much.
-harry

It doesn't earn me many fashion style points, but I have a head-mounted flashlight (e.g. a Petzl) either on my head, or hanging around my neck, any time I'm flying at night.

Neither "dig through the backpack to find the flashlight" nor "hold it in my teeth" appeal to me very much.
-harry

I have one of those cheapo Wal-mart LED headlamps. Around the neck until needed.

-harry

I have a couple and my wife always makes fun of me whenever she see one on my head.

I can't fly at night any more, but I can see where they would be great.
One has a 1W LED "High Beam" that would work great for pre-flights and stuff plus red LEDs that you could have running all the time in the cockpit. (They do get a good workout on the boat at night - batteries last forever...)

With a handheld GPS you could easily continue the descent (assuming the handheld was already configured to fly the approach) although I'd have second thoughts about continuing below the LOC mins if I had any other viable options. And unless I knew there was no possibility of climbing back up and flying to a VMC landing I'd probably go missed and see if I couldn't get something working again then fly to the better weather. With the GPS you shouldn't have any trouble finding your way and could even come back to the same runway you were originally aimed at if that turned out to be the most favorable option.

Exactly, I agree 100%.

Me, too, Harry. Found that thing at a backpacking store a bunch of years ago, and it has lived slung on my headrest ever since. Never needs batteries, has never burned out a bulb, and its dimmest setting is perfect for night flight, its brightest works nicely for preflights. Now I've found a cute Eddie Bauer billed hat with LEDs built into the brim- a bit bright for ideal, but it works for excessive daylight as well as insufficient panel light.
This business of carrying around three flashlights with dead or dying batteries, and which must be clamped between my teeth is for the birds. Flightless ones.
Also, my AnywhereMap with backup battery and backlighted you-are-here approach plates is a nice thing for those REALLY dark nights.

I have one of those cheapo Wal-mart LED headlamps. Around the neck until needed.

I use the Walgreens 2 for $3 "clip on" LED book lights they are very small but very effective, they clip on to a sun visor, cig tray etc...I have 3 of them in my PA-28..as they stock night lighting sucks anyway

-harry

I leave mine hanging from the firewall air shutoff control which sits at the very left side of the plane just under the panel. I can always find it in the dark and slip it over my head in a few seconds.

Hi All,

Good answers!

He dug his flashlight out of his back pack he had behind the seat, put it in his mouth, and continued on final.

He broke out at 1,000 above and landed. As soon as he touched down, all the electrical came back on.

Something I didn't say was that it went dead on him earlier and came back on and he had told the tower of his problem then in case he lost the electrical a second time.

Now he carries a flashlight, and a handheld radio with him anytime he is flying. BTW, he carries it right next to him, not behind the seat.

I keep my handheld in the flight bag.. I actually fly with no less than 4 flashlights, one of which is connected to my headset, so wherever I look, is illuminated in red light.

I've had a total electircal failure in IMC in winter at 12K in light rime ice. Can't blow the boots w/o relays, or heat the props.

We flew to VMC.

Hi All,

Good answers!

I wonder what everyone here would do if the ceilings were near minimums - take the same approach, or go missed and figure it out at altitude?

I wonder what everyone here would do if the ceilings were near minimums - take the same approach, or go missed and figure it out at altitude?

I'd definitely go missed. The separation from obstacles is far less than anyone's ability to maintain the course centerline simply be holding a heading so at least at many airports you'd be playing a variation on Russian Roulette by continuing the approach blindly, at least without a GPS. With GPS it would be less risky but still not the safest option and for the most part it wouldn't be any less safe if you missed and then decided to give it another try using the GPS.

I'd definitely go missed. The separation from obstacles is far less than anyone's ability to maintain the course centerline simply be holding a heading so at least at many airports you'd be playing a variation on Russian Roulette by continuing the approach blindly, at least without a GPS. With GPS it would be less risky but still not the safest option and for the most part it wouldn't be any less safe if you missed and then decided to give it another try using the GPS.
Agree completely. If there wasn't a large margin (>1000') above minimums, I'd definitely go missed. It's the only safe course of action in this case.

In situations like these, it's usually best to buy yourself more time to assess your options. Go missed, climb to a comfortable altitude, then program your backup GPS (hope you have one) and your handheld radio. Then spend 5 minutes troubleshooting. Even if that doesn't help, you're now set up well to try with the handheld.

-Felix

At night I've got a green LED light strapped to a finger on my right hand. I can turn it on and point at whatever I need to illuminate. There's a larger green LED light in my bag that gets moved to the map pocket on the sidewall by my feet. A third minimag (white light) is in my shirt pocket and if I remember to pull it out of the bag, there's a 4th hanging on my belt. And my HT is in the seat pocket behind me.

The only electrical failures I've had have been the alternator CB popping in the 182, and it's been several years since the last time that happened. But, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

In situations like these, it's usually best to buy yourself more time to assess your options. Go missed, climb to a comfortable altitude, then program your backup GPS (hope you have one) and your handheld radio. Then spend 5 minutes troubleshooting. Even if that doesn't help, you're now set up well to try with the handheld.
But remember that if you are at a field with PCL, it may have timed out by that time. Better have a handheld transmitter with you to turn it on again!

Back