OMG what a scary day off N/A

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Still a bit shaky, but I gotta tell the story, it was just too crazy.

I was driving around town today, running errands, when I stopped at a red light. I don't have a stereo, so I often sing to my self when driving around. All of a sudden I feel something pressed up against my head and hear "Give me your car!"

I thought it was one of my friends screwing with me, so of course I reply "F You!"

"Now, Mofo!" (obviously, the full word was said)

I look to the left and see a black man that I've obviously never seen before. "Oh crap, this is real" I said to myself as I started to get out of the car.

As I opened the door to give him the car, the door hit his arm and he dropped the gun. I was thinking it would be a perfect attempt to either grab his gun or grab mine, but instead, he looked around, and ran away (only to be grabbed by a police officer a few hundred yards away, thank God).

His gun was fake - it was an airsoft pistol, with the end painted red and everything, and when he dropped it, he thought he'd been outed. I had to spend a long time filling out a police report and telling the story to about 6 different police officers to make sure the scumbag doesn't get away.

Knowing this city - he'll probably still get off.

Dude...go have a beer! Glad your all right.

Oh man! Did you change your shorts before or after you talked to the police. What a scary deal!!!

What kind of car do you drive? I don't want one.

gibbons said:
Oh man! Did you change your shorts before or after you talked to the police. What a scary deal!!!

What kind of car do you drive? I don't want one.

Its actually not an impressive car - its a 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport, 2.5L. New engine, squealing belts, mud all over the outside, about 500 cigarette packs littering the dashboard.

.38 Special in a case on the seat. Perhaps a concealed carry is a good idea - its kinda hard to get at a gun in a case when its necessary.

0ne of my few trips to Abq, Im sorry to say involved a city bus ride.... in which a fight broke out. Kind of a tough neighborhood.
Im sure the whole city is not deserving of this rep but eeee not my first choice of a vacation, sorry.
Glad you're ok, Nick.

NickDBrennan said:
Its actually not an impressive car - its a 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport, 2.5L. New engine, squealing belts, mud all over the outside, about 500 cigarette packs littering the dashboard.

.38 Special in a case on the seat. Perhaps a concealed carry is a good idea - its kinda hard to get at a gun in a case when its necessary.

My 9mm lived loaded and chambered next to the drivers seat when I lived in Wilmington CA (I had to drive through crack ally to get from home to work). Had a cop pull me over for a rolling stop coming into the marina I lived in. When asked to look through my car, I said "Sure, be advised there's a Browning Hy-Power next to the drivers seat loaded, chambered, saftey off, hammer down, I have registration papers for it in my wallet" He informed me it was illegal to carry the weapon in that condition and asked why I did. I merely stated to note that I hadn't pulled it on him and that I worked at the Long Beach airport and lived on a boat down here in the marina. Considering my necessary route to work, would he let any of his family travel the route unarmed. He said "No", and that was the end of it, didn't even write me a ticket for the rolling stop. He did follow me down and watch me board the boat I lived on to make sure that part of the story panned out.

Glad you're ok, buddy! I've had a few guns pointed at my ol' pointy head and I'll tell ya, you don't ever get used to it! Glad it worked out for you, and glad it DIDN'T work out for him!

NickDBrennan said:
Still a bit shaky, but I gotta tell the story, it was just too crazy.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I'm glad you're ok.

I know how you feel. I had someone jump out between parked cars at a red light and grab the luggage rack of my motorcycle and yanked sideways real hard before I knew he was there. Scared the bejeebers out of me but I think I broke his fingers when I popped the clutch and scampered. I haven't been back to that part of town since.

NickDBrennan said:
His gun was fake

Toys just mean the person they're threatening won't get hurt. That'll get him shot one of these days...

Windows up, doors locked, watch the environment you're in closely. Always leave yourself an escape option.
My first priority is to get out of the situation alive regardless of property loss. Second priority is once priority #1 is assured, is to insure my continued survival..which just might involve taking out the known hostile. (no point in giving the hooligan a chance to reconsider if it's a one sided fight with a clear line of fire)

Get someone to go buy you a lottery ticket and something to drink tonight.

Sorry this is late, but glad you're OK, Nick! Holy crap!
terry

Dude, come on up for a shot and a beer. Glad you're ok and thankfully the mutt wasn't too smart about where to hold his gun hand while you opened the door.

Glad you're ok. Sorry you didn't get to take it out on him afterwards... :)

Hoo boy, Nick. I am glad to hear you are alright. Were you able to get the stain out of your seat covers?

jk

Could have been vastly different.

thanks for the well wishes. Update today (slightly different topic):

On the way to work tonight, I stopped in a Circle K to buy some cigarettes. Some dude came running out as I walked in, and I saw a very panicked look on everyone's faces. Upon asking what's wrong, they freak out and scream "We just got robbed, everyone needs to leave the store!"

So I left them my number in case they need a description of the guy (I got a fairly decent look), and I left.

I hate this city.

NickDBrennan said:
On the way to work tonight, I stopped in a Circle K to buy some cigarettes. Some dude came running out as I walked in, and I saw a very panicked look on everyone's faces. Upon asking what's wrong, they freak out and scream "We just got robbed, everyone needs to leave the store!"

:eek: I think you need to stay home for a while. Or move.

You can always tell when christmas season is right around the corner because the crime and murder rate ramps right off the chart.

NickDBrennan said:
I hate this city.

Cities. Blech. I hate them all equally...

SkyHog said:
On the way to work tonight, I stopped in a Circle K to buy some cigarettes. Some dude came running out as I walked in, and I saw a very panicked look on everyone's faces.
I wonder if he used the same fake gun...

SkyHog said:
thanks for the well wishes. Update today (slightly different topic):

So I left them my number in case they need a description of the guy (I got a fairly decent look), and I left.

I hate this city.

Wonder why they were panicked? I used to work the mid-shift at a Circle K near my apartment in Albuquerque part time, and got robbed darn near every night. They'd ask for the money, I'd give it to them, call the manager, write my little report, go back to work while I waited for the cops. Usually didn't have to wait too long, cause I knew the guy on my beat from my full time job as an SP on Kirtland. He'd swing by all the time, but it didn't do any good.

Got fired after a group of guys weren't satisfied with the money, and started to come behind the counter. That's very bad news, and I responded by sticking my .38 in the closest guy's face and started to pull the trigger while he was halfway across the counter. He ran away, followed by his buddies. I got caught on camera with a gun, got fired. Kinda bogus, since the manager hired me because I carried a gun, but them's the store's rules. Obviously, I'd rather be fired any day than suffer whatever those knuckleheads wanted to inflict.

Nice to hear that you are okay also. I have a CCP for a weapon. I am usually carring either one of my .45 or .40 cal's with RCB rounds. I just want to put the person down and not kill others. All of this means CRAP! Meaning that it does you no good if you are fighting trying to get your gun out b/c you havent practiced it before hand. Sorry, yes you need to go back to the old west days and practice in front of the mirror. Otherwise, it will most likely get you shot while you are fighting your gun out of your clothing. This is just speaking from first hand experience. I was lucky and he was slow.:(

fgcason said:
....Cities. Blech. I hate them all equally...

Right On!
This is why my goal is to be a bush pilot in Alaska or the Yukon or something. I'd deal with the elements and wildlife any day over what people do to each other.

I can quite happily live off the land with my most technical tools being my trusty airplane (I have a vivid imagination, huh?) and satellite Internet. (I guess I can give up the Internet. :) )

terry

terzap said:
This is why my goal is to be a bush pilot in Alaska or the Yukon or something. I'd deal with the elements and wildlife any day over what people do to each other.

Well, you can be my neighbor then. Just don't build your cabin anywhere near mine, keep the noise down, and don't install any search lights. :D Maybe you can be a buffer between me and civilization.

Internet. Bah humbug. I'd be too busy living a real life to fool with those silly computator contraption thingies.

terzap said:
(I have a vivid imagination, huh?)

(I have several maps and have already sorted out the move process. I just need an exact location to move to. Also at this moment I have absolutely no reason at all to stay down here with the fruitcakes other than driving solo to AK at this time of year probably isn't the brightest of things to be doing. Vivid huh?)

Back