OMG BRB landing LOL TTYL

Wow....this is why I always turn off my cell phone when I'm flying.

But but but...you can't miss phone calls because the next one might be soooooooo critically important that it can't be missed even if you die or kill someone because of it.

It hasn't caused any issues yet, but my phone often starts vibrating with messages, voicemails etc... on final approach. It has no reception when i'm aloft, and as I start descending to land it picks up messages and all kinds of crap that has been collecting since i've been out of range.

I think the problem was here not that phone was ringing (can't have that if you are IFR or carrying passengers for hire I believe), but the fact that instead of flying the plane, captain decided to mess around with the phone.

This all took place nearly two years ago...

Can you please decipher the abbreviations used in the title? I had no idea what I was opening when I clicked on and the content did not solve the mystery.

This is what I got:

Oh my God..Be right back..Ha HA..Talk to you.

OMG BRB landing LOL TTY

OMG = Oh My God
BRB - Be Right Back
Landing - putting the big flying thingy on a ground
LOL - Laughing Out Loud
TTYL - Talk To You Later

I just got it. He was texting. I was focusing on the gear-up landing and missed the texting thing. Not being a pilot yet usually has me scrambling to see what an acronym means. I just thought the title was one such acronym.

"The combination of factors on JQ57 has provided new learnings and the opportunity to add to these safeguards, which we take very seriously.”
Changes introduced included completing landing checklists before 1000 feet and a reminder to pilots to ensure their mobile phones are switched off before take-off, [Jetstar's Chief Pilot, Captain Mark Rindfleish] said.
I'm glad it added an opportunity, but you mean that the pilots weren't previously required to have their mobiles off?

Article says...

"The problems aboard JQ57 began when the co-pilot, the first officer, switched off the autopilot on the 220-seat Airbus A320 "

How did they get 220 seats in a A320 ?:dunno:

Switching off the autopilot should be added to our Media derived "instant flaming death" list.

Like failing to file a flight plan, or flying over a school building. ;)

Do people really find it that hard to ignore their phones?
I think it is a simple lack of Prioritizing Ability, none of the other nonsense..as the OP noted.

I think the problem was here not that phone was ringing (can't have that if you are IFR or carrying passengers for hire I believe), but the fact that instead of flying the plane, captain decided to mess around with the phone.

Exactly, same thing happens to me, I just ignore it till secure to check.

Back