Oldest flying 172 sought

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
I am on the hunt for the oldest flying 172 I can find. The airplane will be used in a feature story for Sport Aviation that will look at the evolution of "everyone's airplane" from the earliest to the newest. In exchange for the cooperation, the owner will get a bunch of cool pictures taken by EAA's crack photographers, including air-to-air shots -- solo and flying formation with a factory fresh 172 (assuming we can work out the logistics).

Scour your memories and your ramps! Feed me some names and numbers, please! Use private messaging or email me at n614ac@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:
I am on the hunt for the oldest flying 172 I can find.

Using the C172 TCDS which lists applicable serial numbers, and using the FAA aircraft registry SN search function:

First 172 serial number out of the chute (SN 610)

Rules of Conduct said:
Participant shall not post messages containing personal phone numbers or addresses other than their own.
Chuck Haeberle said:
I appreciate the intent, but personal addresses like this should be sent via PM or Email, please.
I'll leave the rest to you. $0.37 per envelope should get you a hit fairly quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he means most hours? That would be really hard to nail down unless you set a deadline.

Chuck Haeberle said:
Personal addresses removed - not belonging to the original poster.
Thanks, Ed. I hadn't gotten around to that. You saved me some legwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have edited two of the posts in this thread to remove personal addresses not belonging to the posters. I know there was no harm intended - but we only allow posting one's own personal information.

Email or Private Messaging should be used instead to relay information like this.

Thank you,
CH

Well I can't help with old... but if it helps, I know of a guy in Ohio who's about to take delivery of a brand new one (with a G1000 panel) I could put you in touch with. Even has 172 in the tail number...

I feel I should explain further why I removed the addresses from this thread.

Yes, I am aware that the FAA does make this information available publicly.

However, the FAA also requires that you provide personal information about yourself before they will give you personal information about anyone else. This provides a level of security about their data that we, frankly, do not and can not provide.

With the exception of a few forums (mostly management related), all posts on this forum are open to the general public. You do not need to register as a user here to read these messages.

Furthermore, search engines routinely scan our site and index our postings, making them even more broadly available.

Now, if a fictional Joe Shmuckatelli started getting emails, or letters, or phone calls from people he'd never heard from before, what happens if he takes offense? What happens if he finds out the caller got their information from Pilots of America, where his personal information were posted for all to see? Perhaps nothing - but in today's hyper litigous society - perhaps he decides to make life very difficult for us.

Because of those liability concerns, the policy of "Participant shall not post messages containing personal phone numbers or addresses other than their own." will be adhered to strictly - SHALL, not should. No exceptions. Sorry.

Hopefully that clears the reason for the edit up.

CH

Greebo said:
I feel I should explain further why I removed the addresses from this thread.

Yes, I am aware that the FAA does make this information available publicly.

However, the FAA also requires that you provide personal information about yourself before they will give you personal information about anyone else. This provides a level of security about their data that we, frankly, do not and can not provide.

Chuck, you are confusing the aircraft information database with the airman information database. The FAA will provide the aircraft ownership information which was posted here no questions asked, no requestor information required. Do an aircraft registration search--you are not required to provide personal information to access the registration database.

Ed Guthrie said:
Chuck, you are confusing the aircraft information database with the airman information database. The FAA will provide the aircraft ownership information which was posted here no questions asked, no requestor information required. Do an aircraft registration search--you are not required to provide personal information to access the registration database.
You're right - I had the two searches confused.

And posting the link to the aircraft database, and posting N-Numbers, I don't have a problem with. :)

But regardless the source or how else it might be readily available, my position on posting other people's addresses and/or phone numbers remains unchanged.

Greebo said:
But regardless the source or how else it might be readily available, my position on posting other people's addresses and/or phone numbers remains unchanged.

Yes, agreed. Mea culpa. De rules is de rules.

Ed

Back