Oldest Building?

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
The little building by the tracks is probably the oldest occupied structure in Thomaston, Maine. It was the only structure left standing when the Henry Knox mansion was demolished in the early 1900s to make way for the railroad tracks. Major General Henry Knox was America's 1st Secretary of War, appointed by George Washington. The Knox home dates to the late 1700s. The remaining building became the Maine Central Railroad Station for Thomaston until passenger service was discontinued in the early 1960s. It is now the home of Thomaston Historical Society. Montpelier, a replica of the Knox Mansion was built about a mile away and contains furnishings, clothes, and other artifacts from the original property. It is open for public tours.

HRThomaston Hist Soc._DSC8442 (L).JPG

Two views of the replica General Knox Mansion. The road beyond the image #2 is the route to St. George, Tenants Harbor, and Port Clyde.

HR

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Interesting bit of local history. Nice pictures, too, though obviously not taken "recently". ;)

Interesting bit of local history. Nice pictures, too, though obviously not taken "recently". ;)

September 27, 2015: in excess of 350 images of Wiscasset, Waldoboro, Friendship, Cushing, Thomaston, Rockland, Rockport, South Thomaston, and Damariscotta.
I'm STILL post processing the suckers.
If you happen to be in Thomaston, stop in at Fishway Restaurant for excellent food and service.
It's the building just above the vehicles backing down the boat launch. The yachts are docked at part of Lyman-Morse Boat Builders, out of the right side of the the photo. Slipway Rest._DSC8442.JPG

HR

Last edited:
Neat! Yes, it looked like fall, I figured it might have been last year. Thanks, I'll have to remember the Fishway if I'm ever over that way. Looks like the closest airport is Rockland; I wonder if they have courtesy cars?

Neat! Yes, it looked like fall, I figured it might have been last year. Thanks, I'll have to remember the Fishway if I'm ever over that way. Looks like the closest airport is Rockland; I wonder if they have courtesy cars?

I'm not sure about courtesy car; however, Kevin Waters, owner of Penobscot Island Air at the airport is about the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He's let me take his vehicle a couple occasions.

In the lower right corner of that last picture, but out of the area shown, was once a 40-odd foot sailboat at the float. Funny story: This was a lot of years ago; I was told I should go down to Lyman-Morse and take a look at the sailboat at the float. So I did, at dead low tide so I had to go down the gang-way from the parking lot. Beautiful ship, one that had been stored for the winter, had been recently put back in the water to await arrival of its owner. While I stood on the float I heard a car arrive at topside and shortly after, a car door shut, followed by some choice language. Someone had locked the keys in the vehicle. Those were the days when police departments no longer slim-jimmed car door locks. However, in that instance the department overrode policy and came to rescue the vehicle's operator. If I remember correctly, the name of the yacht was MIRAMAR, though my spelling may not be correct. The skipper was happy to be taking possession of his craft to go sailing for a couple weeks. It was a couple days later that the local newspaper reported that Superman may be able to leap over tall buildings and a lot of other accomplishments but he's only human. The rescued yachtsman was none other than Christoper Reeve who had come for spring delivery of his boat. His practice was to go sailing for a couple weeks, then go back to California until taking the next vacation to come back east for another sailing junket.

Last edited:
Back