older Pilots

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
I went to a fly in yesterday and meet some of the nicest older 70+ pilots still flying under Sport Pilot rules. They hobbled around their pride of joy and some of those airplanes were LSA experimental. Some of them cursed them about FAA Class 3 medical requirements. There was this older couple that hopped into their airplane and you can see they had a passion for flying. I wish my wife had this flying passion with me.

No point in this post other than there are old pilots but no old bold pilots.

I hope I get to be an old pilot.

I sat with a large group of them at "The liar's table" in georgetown.
Great to listen to their stories.

Plenty of old bold pilots. The rest of em have a few straggly gray hairs. The old bold pilots are flying nonLSA airplanes without medicals and keeping their mouths shut.

Plenty of old bold pilots. The rest of em have a few straggly gray hairs. The old bold pilots are flying nonLSA airplanes without medicals and keeping their mouths shut.
Yep. One of the sharpest pilots I know has been flying for decades. If he had a logbook it would list one type: his own supercub. I don't know if he has a medical or not, that's none of my business. But i do know that he claims he hasn't seen an MD of any type since he got into a dispute with the VA in the mid 1970's.

Not a lot at 70 + that could match the passion of flying. I just got back in big time with an LSA purchase- weeee-oh!

Thanks bunches for the shout-out to those of us who have a few years! With luck, you will be there some day, and I got to tell you - it is well worth working toward.

And, yes, I have some stories. Hopefully, more to come!

Enjoy it all - those of us fortunate to go up are truly blessed with an ineffable gift!

About 4 months ago I got to fly with a pilot in his late 80s. The learning experience was priceless.

My Dad will be 87 this month and still has his 3rd class. He just sold his Aztec a few weeks ago because it was getting too hard for him and his wife to get in and out of. He bought a Remos a couple years ago but just can't get used to such a light airplane so he is on the lookout for a nice Cardinal. He hopes they get rid of the medical soon so he can keep flying. I hope I got his genes so I can go another 25 years or so. Don

There used to be a gentleman here at my home airport that flew B-17 and B-29 in the war. He didn't have a medical but I had no problem letting him sit left seat while I occupied the right seat. His last flight was 3 weeks before he passed away at 88.

What great stories he had about military flying and flying for his business in the 50s and 60s.

Oh the life it would be. I hope someday I could retire and spend all day flying and hanging out with my flying buddies.

I have a friend named Eddie. He isn't old but he has 25 years on me.
He has a beautiful citibria. He goes to the hanger every weekend.

He usually doesn't fly but if the weather is just right, he will. He is out there anyway. Smokes a cigar, shoots the breeze with other folks, polishes his chrome prop.

Visits with anyone on the field.

One day I was fixing my battery and there was no chance of flying.
Eddie was in his hanger smoking his cigar and admiring his plane and just vegging. I decided to have a long distance conversation w/ him

"Hey Eddie" I hollered from across the row of hangers.

"Why did you become a pilot anyway?"

He said "Come here"

He goes into his truck and brings out this folder and starts showing me these old pieces of paper.

"My grandfather was working out in a field as a young man and a plane flew over and dropped these little pieces of paper. They were looking for people willing to learn to fly and fly from coast to coast. If they could pull it off, they got $50k"

1656377_729144257105050_1695568668_n.jpg

Back Side:
1962809_729144003771742_1981043686_n.jpg

One of these slips of paper landed right by his foot and he thought maybe he should learn to fly a plane.

He found an instructor and learned how to fly.
Right away he realized that the contest was not important because flying was a big hit with the ladies and that is what was important.

1920448_729143327105143_1289137380_n.jpg

So his grandfather got into flying and went through a few planes.

Quote on this was "My grandfather crashed a few planes and I still have a chunk of the prop from this one at my house
1981868_729142660438543_287552430_n.jpg

His grandfather finally mastered the art of flying and using it to his advantage ;)
Here is a photo of his grandparents

1001287_729145497104926_558011186_n.jpg

1798560_729142053771937_193923380_n.jpg

Eddie's grandfather began teaching lessons.
Here is his original business card

1959433_729146520438157_565998028_n.jpg

And his plane

10003533_729141230438686_1810802138_n.jpg

He taught his son (Eddie's dad) to fly
and "grandpa" gave Eddie his very first plane ride when he was a little kid.

Eddie and his dad went in 50/50 on the citibria in the 90's
and flew for a long time together.

His father passed away a few years back and he goes out to that plane every weekend and shines that plane up and flies it if he can.

When he was showing me these old photos, he told me.
"My granddad gave me my first ever flight lesson when I was a kid.
I gave him his last plane ride when he was 92 years old"

He pulled out this piece of paper and said "This is his pilots license."

It was just a small printed business card looking thing with a bunch of hand written signatures on it.

He shared so much history with me that day.

One day he came over to me and my dad messing with our plane and stopped us and just said something along the lines of "You guys are father and son. You guys get to fly together. Never forget how important these moments are with one another. You remind me of me and my dad and here I am. Those were the best memories of my life and here you two are making those same memories now. Please enjoy this time you have"

Here is a photo I snapped of him landing last year in the plane he and his father shared at 52F.

1900097_729146937104782_821080282_n.jpg

There is a lot of history in those "old pilots".
Lots of lessons too.

Funny story:
One day I decided to fly Eddie to lunch.
He flys low around the lakes and does sight seeing and doesn't ever go far.

I decided to fly an hour away with him and we were on FF

We landed at our destination and he says:
"I have no idea what that Voodoo you were doing on the radio is. That was impressive. On the other hand, if I ever landed with that much sideload on my gear, I don't think I would be brave enough to takeoff and fly again w/o getting it checked out."

Last edited:

He usually doesn't fly but if the weather is just right, he will. He is out there anyway. Smokes a cigar, shoots the breeze with other folks, polishes his chrome prop.

Visits with anyone on the field.

One day I was fixing my battery and there was no chance of flying.
Eddie was in his hanger smoking his cigar and admiring his plane and just vegging. I decided to have a long distance conversation w/ him

"Hey Eddie" I hollered from across the row of hangers.

"Why did you become a pilot anyway?"

He said "Come here"

He goes into his truck and brings out this folder and starts showing me these old pieces of paper.

"My grandfather was working out in a field as a young man and a plane flew over and dropped these little pieces of paper. They were looking for people willing to learn to fly and fly from coast to coast. If they could pull it off, they got $50k"

1656377_729144257105050_1695568668_n.jpg

Back Side:
1962809_729144003771742_1981043686_n.jpg

One of these slips of paper landed right by his foot and he thought maybe he should learn to fly a plane.

He found an instructor and learned how to fly.
Right away he realized that the contest was not important because flying was a big hit with the ladies and that is what was important.

1920448_729143327105143_1289137380_n.jpg

So his grandfather got into flying and went through a few planes.

Quote on this was "My grandfather crashed a few planes and I still have a chunk of the prop from this one at my house
1981868_729142660438543_287552430_n.jpg

His grandfather finally mastered the art of flying and using it to his advantage ;)
Here is a photo of his grandparents

1001287_729145497104926_558011186_n.jpg

1798560_729142053771937_193923380_n.jpg

Eddie's grandfather began teaching lessons.
Here is his original business card

1959433_729146520438157_565998028_n.jpg

And his plane

10003533_729141230438686_1810802138_n.jpg

He taught his son (Eddie's dad) to fly
and "grandpa" gave Eddie his very first plane ride when he was a little kid.

Eddie and his dad went in 50/50 on the citibria in the 90's
and flew for a long time together.

His father passed away a few years back and he goes out to that plane every weekend and shines that plane up and flies it if he can.

When he was showing me these old photos, he told me.
"My granddad gave me my first ever flight lesson when I was a kid.
I gave him his last plane ride when he was 92 years old"

He pulled out this piece of paper and said "This is his pilots license."

It was just a small printed business card looking thing with a bunch of hand written signatures on it.

He shared so much history with me that day.

One day he came over to me and my dad messing with our plane and stopped us and just said something along the lines of "You guys are father and son. You guys get to fly together. Never forget how important these moments are with one another. You remind me of me and my dad and here I am. Those were the best memories of my life and here you two are making those same memories now. Please enjoy this time you have"

Here is a photo I snapped of him landing last year in the plane he and his father shared at 52F.

1900097_729146937104782_821080282_n.jpg

There is a lot of history in those "old pilots".
Lots of lessons too.

Funny story:
One day I decided to fly Eddie to lunch.
He flys low around the lakes and does sight seeing and doesn't ever go far.

I decided to fly an hour away with him and we were on FF

We landed at our destination and he says:
"I have no idea what that Voodoo you were doing on the radio is. That was impressive. On the other hand, if I ever landed with that much sideload on my gear, I don't think I would be brave enough to takeoff and fly again w/o getting it checked out."

Great post!

After flying for two decades, I have heard so many of these great tales over the years, from so many wonderful old(er) pilots, many of whom are gone now. It's a wonderful part of flying that was a prime reason for us starting our first aviation themed hotel.

The chance to meet these folks and share their stories is worth more than money. I'm glad you got to meet Eddie.

Dick Bertrand competed in his first aerobatics competition this summer and took 3rd place in the Primary class. He flew his Pitts and did very well. He started flying acro just 3 months earlier. Richard is 84.

Harry Barr has been flying a long time, a very long time. He has logged about 40,000 hours. He competed in the same aerobatics championship with Richard flying his P-51 in the sport category. Harry is an active test pilot and Lear jet demo pilot for a major aircraft service center. He also flies a Huey, a jet ranger helo, Christian eagle, One Design, Hyperbype, Bonanza, and a Cub. Harry is currently on the cover of Sport Aerobatics magazine. Harry is 78 years old.

I would consider both of these guys as old BOLD pilots. :yes:

Last edited:
x4. Great story.

Don't sideload the gear.

I didn't think I did :)

Apparently there is a big difference in what I consider side loading in the TB versus a citibria.

meh it was awhile back, I probably did. The ink on my cert hadn't dried at that point.

Just had my 68 th Birthday,not old yet. However already have a plan in place to continue flying,if the medical goes away. Have flown a few LSAs and find them a lot of fun. Also I own a liberty,which everyone calls an LSA or experimental,so I quess a change of call sign will work. Hope the Lsa market doesn't die . See you old timers in Sebring for the Lsa expo.

Older pilots.

Are there any other type?

I think that is one of the best posts I have read in a long time...Bravo, Sir!!

Thanks.
I have only been flying a year but I have immersed myself in it deeply and have met so many people with fascinating stories.

Eddie and his dad ~ 25 years ago

1743553_729137860439023_123261453_n.jpg

My old man is 77, still has a 3rd class, still flies single pilot IMC in his 'bo, and even though he is the guy who first started putting me behind the yoke at a young age, I have worried about him in recent years. I'm sure he is fine....has always been a solid aviator and has probably 10k hours on me, but you still worry about your older parents doing things that they maybe aren't as sharp at anymore.

"aren't as sharp at anymore"

Step over here sonny and I'll give you a noogie followed by a wedgie to get your full attention. Not all of us codgers hobble or stumble over our words. And I can still fly a hold with one feathered and NO GPS and have time to drink coffee while doing it.

aren't as sharp anymore, ^%(*$! mumble mumble :nono:

"aren't as sharp at anymore"

Step over here sonny and I'll give you a noogie followed by a wedgie to get your full attention. Not all of us codgers hobble or stumble over our words. And I can still fly a hold with one feathered and NO GPS and have time to drink coffee while doing it.

aren't as sharp anymore, ^%(*$! mumble mumble :nono:

Not sure what this GPS you speak of is.....have yet to ever do a GPS hold or approach.....

but you are right I'm sure, guys like me just worry about their parents as they get older.

My first flight in a small plane was with a fella in his early 70's. I knew enough about flying to know he had mastered his 140. He's been flying it for nearly 40 years and still hand polishes it. Since then Ive gotten my license and actually saw him at a fly-in that I flew into.

The guy who is checking me out in our clubs Remos is an older guy, probably mid 70s.

I have rarely met such a calm, easy to understand instructor. He just quietly, and professionally talked me though things and corrected me when necessary. I liked his style.

It's kind of the opposite with me. I get excited when I'm around young pilots. I know a few in their fifties, very few younger than that, and most all of them In their sixties or older.

At my new airport, I've yet to meet a pilot that I would guess is younger than fifty. There's a UPS pilot that flies out of there that might possibly be in his forties, but if so, in his late forties.

I enjoy the opportunity to visit with young pilots because there just aren't any around here. Of course I enjoy visiting with almost any pilot.

Oh the life it would be. I hope someday I could retire and spend all day flying and hanging out with my flying buddies.

What's cruel is, you may out live them all.

I met the nicest guy today, he's 77 and still has his medical, flew the Alaskan bush until he retired and moved down here.

and he brought me this to do an annual. He has owned and flown it for over thirty years.

Attachments

• 20141112_150800.jpg
    20141112_150800.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 46
Fantastic story Bryan, Make sure Eddie gets a chance to fly with you when it's mutually possible. and be careful about side-loading your gear!

Great post Bryan, bought my plane from a guy who was in his 90s and just lost his medical.

Did someone say there are no old bold pilots?

cust_daryl.jpg

Darryl Greenamyer recently turned 78.

Back