Older model Bonanzas

Art VanDelay

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Art VanDelay
Got a neighbor considering a C35 Bonanza. I really don't know much about them at all. Never really got caught up in that craze. Flew a T-34, BE-55 and a Travel Air but never a Bonanza. Any thoughts on these older (50's to 60's) model Bonanza's ?

I know nothing about them, but have to say a nice "V" tail always catches my eye when I see them.

Get an expert, good planes, some engine parts can be hard to come by, electric prop has a little controversy.

Any thoughts on these older (50's to 60's) model Bonanza's ?
I used to have a '59 K35 and really enjoyed it -- 260 hp, 155 KTAS, cruise in the mid teens with O2 at under 11 gph ...

some engine parts can be hard to come by, electric prop has a little controversy
That would apply to the older ones. By 1958 (J35) they had IO-470 engines and hydraulic props.

If you're serious, join American Bonanza Society, and read Flying The Beech Bonanza by John C. Eckalbar. Make sure the mechanic who does the pre-buy, and the CFI who gives you your checkout, are well familiar with the breed. ABS can give you referrals.

I used to have a '59 K35 and really enjoyed it -- 260 hp, 155 KTAS, cruise in the mid teens with O2 at under 11 gph ...

That would apply to the older ones. By 1958 (J35) they had IO-470 engines and hydraulic props.

If you're serious, join American Bonanza Society, and read Flying The Beech Bonanza by John C. Eckalbar. Make sure the mechanic who does the pre-buy, and the CFI who gives you your checkout, are well familiar with the breed. ABS can give you referrals.

He said C35, which IIRC is the E-185 and electric prop variant.

If you had 260HP in your K, you had an STC. I have an N35, IIRC it's the first model with 260HP.

He said C35, which IIRC is the E-185 and electric prop variant.
Yes, but then expanded the scope of his question to "50's to 60's".

If you had 260HP in your K, you had an STC. I have an N35, IIRC it's the first model with 260HP.
Yes, you are correct. J, K and M Bonanzas originally had the IO-470-C, rated at 250 hp. The STC (IO-470-N) on my airplane was done by the prior owner. Same cruise performance; just a few extra revs available on takeoff. Nice combination.

Last edited:
Yes, but then expanded the scope of his question to "50's to 60's".

Yes, you are correct. J, K and M Bonanzas originally had the IO-470-C, rated at 250 hp. The STC (IO-470-N) on my airplane was done by the prior owner. Same cruise performance; just a few extra revs available on takeoff. Nice combination.

In other words, for OP 50's and 60's covers 20 years of V-Tail models and huge differences along the way. including around a $100,000 price differential in the current market.

Ok guys, thanks for that info. The one he's looking at has the 0-470 engine but I think the prop has been converted to a standard oil driven one but I have no idea of what parts availability would be like for that engine.

Ok guys, thanks for that info. The one he's looking at has the 0-470 engine but I think the prop has been converted to a standard oil driven one but I have no idea of what parts availability would be like for that engine.

Those are some good performers. Light airframe, plenty of power. I looked at one C35 that had an IO550 in it. :yikes:

Join the American Bonanza Society. Lots of good information there. If you still have one of the old E-series engines, be aware it can be a timebomb at overhaul. Ther overhaul parts are getting a bit hard to come by. The next gotcha is the props, there are a couple different props for the older engines, none are ideal. If you get a Hartzell, note there are two onerous ADs that need to be specifically addressed (an overhaul will NOT correct one of them). All of the above I know about since a lot of it is common with the contemporary Navions (I am a board member of the American Navion Society). Then there are some Bo specific issues like corrosions on the tail feathers which it would behoove you to have an expert look at when you buy.

If it's an O470 and not an IO470, I'd assume it's from a 1957 H model Bonanze (O470G) -- if so, it has an expensive-to-OH pressure carb, otherwise, the rest is just a TCM 470 and easy to get parts for.

A C35 with a modern 470 and prop combination would be quite a sweet flyer. The early Bos handle really nicely, and I'm partial to the deco "piano key" switches, although they're not everybody's money.

Usual precautions for a 60-year-old piece of expensive machinery apply otherwise. :D

The C35 originally had the E series engine rated at 205HP for 5 min then 185 continuous after that. The O-470 STC is a common one for the older airframes because it doesn't include the injection system. These engines came out of the K model, and some older Cessna 180/185s, and I think also the 336/337.

The prop will be a hydraulic CS prop, just like on most later Bonanzas and is generally reliable. Hartzell and Sensinich made props for the O-470 but it's pretty certain to be a Hartzell prop and governor on it.

The C35 airframe has heavier skins than the earlier planes. It also has the larger ruddervator, and should be fitted with the front edge cuffs that wrap around the ruddervator and are riveted to the fuselage. The C35 suffered from a slight decrease in overall performance due to it gaining some weight but the later model engine of 250HP can overcome some of the loss of speed.

Things to look for in older Bonanzas. Nose gear slop in bushings, gear, bearings, etc. Crazed, or dull plexi. mods that aren't approved, or have no 337 with them. Bonanzas are one of the most modded planes out there(like the O-470 engine mod). Drafty or poor fitting doors and sloppy hinges. Filiform(worm tracks) corrosion on flight controls. The orig control surfaces were Mag, and later ones were Al. You can tell which it has by the rivets in use, but I don't recall the signs on the rivet to figure out. Worn out retract/flap motors. The brushes are still avail, but some of the motors are getting pretty weak. Gear doors that don't close fully when retracted. Duct hoses that are rotted. Water damage from leaks under the carpet.

Bonanzas are pretty indestructable if maintained decently. Plenty have been deferred but one with a O-470 should be in good fettle. You'll have gobs of power on TO and it will tail waggle a little in turbulence, but they fly fantastic, and are quite the utility play for low cost. With the newer engine, no more auto gas STC.

Back