Older FIKI Twin vs FIKI Cirrus

That's also something of an apples and oranges comparison, though.

The entire premise of the thread is an apples to pineapples comparison.

If the mission is one person and a briefcase for business, the number of empty seats being flown around is of no advantage.

Hmmm. My Seneca II has never stranded me on the road.

But then I never fly to failure.
It's all about your maintenance budget.
I have an invoice just about every month from the shop and my annuals are ~$3,500 (relatively little for what I've got).

I joke about it: "My airplane is sitting in the hangar (today) conspiring as to how to spent money".

And, the extra seats do make a difference. Even if I fruck up to some extent, I'm (solo) going to fly away on one.....

BTW my 601P friend gave up his $1200/month hangar (would no fit in a T-hangar) and rented hangar space at the maintenance shop hangar. This assured him on time maintenance.

José

I love the FIKI SR22, but I think getting an older FIKI Seneca and upgrading it with a G900 (or whatever the aftermarket thing is), would be the best value. It would probably be a bit slower, but might have more capabilities.

Hmmm. My Seneca II has never stranded me on the road.

But then I never fly to failure.

You don't have to fly to failure to get an Aerostar to break down, you don't even have to fly to Champaign.

You are right but what good is a 601P in the shop vs a 201 in the air. In one year his 601P spent 6 weeks in the shop while my 201 no more than two weeks for the annual and oil changes. In fact he borrowed my 201 while his 601P was at the shop. I never had to borrow his 601P.

By that comparison then you should just fly a Cherokee. Fixed gear and fixed pitch prop so it probably needs less MX than the Mooney.

When you get into complicated aircraft like an Aerostar (especially when you consider the Aerostar's notorious hunger for money) it makes sense that it will be in the shop more. I'd flip the question on you and say what good is a Mooney 201 when I need to hold 6 people and there are icing conditions out?

Your comparison really isn't a good one and just takes one example.

The entire premise of the thread is an apples to pineapples comparison.

If the mission is one person and a briefcase for business, the number of empty seats being flown around is of no advantage.

Maybe apples and pears. Planes that are different but can perform similar tasks.

Maybe the reasons they are prominent in airport lore are that they are the ones that make the headlines in the local paper.
OWT. Surprised no one said it first.

Back