Older Cessna 172s

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
Does anyone here on the board know of an older 172 (O-300 OK) that is for sale with at least half engine life for $25K or less?

I'd kind of prefer to be the only owner. I have seen that one, though.

Same here. But I stumbled across that one and it is so damn cheap, i had to respond. The problem as that 1/2 share has been for sell for sometime. I wouldn't mind sharing for local food runs and training but I don't want to struggle to sell it when it comes time to get my plane.

It is a good looking plane though.

Does anyone here on the board know of an older 172 (O-300 OK) that is for sale with at least half engine life for $25K or less?

I am upgrading to a 210 and will need to let my 172 go in coming month or so.

1978 C 172 N, High airframe (11000), low engine time (700).
original Cessna 6 pack, & DME. Ext 7, Int 8 (leather) excellent condition. No problems what so ever.

Last edited:
I called, but I'm guessing that one will be gone before I could even book a plane ticket, so keep 'em coming!

original Cessna 6 pack, & DME. Ext 7, Int 8 (leather) excellent condition. No problems what so ever.

160 or 180 HP?

What's the useful load?

pictures attached

Attachments

• N114FA 003 (1).JPG
    N114FA 003 (1).JPG
    536 KB · Views: 96
  • N114FA 004 (1).JPG
    N114FA 004 (1).JPG
    532.7 KB · Views: 125
  • N114FA 008.JPG
    N114FA 008.JPG
    472 KB · Views: 83
  • N114FA 009a.JPG
    N114FA 009a.JPG
    486.7 KB · Views: 104
Same here. But I stumbled across that one and it is so damn cheap, i had to respond. The problem as that 1/2 share has been for sell for sometime. I wouldn't mind sharing for local food runs and training but I don't want to struggle to sell it when it comes time to get my plane.

It is a good looking plane though.

Can you run the numbers to make it still worth doing if you lost say half the share value? If she's going to plow through in a hurry, change half of the share price to an hourly rate and see if it still beats a rental. Then just decide later if you need to eat it to sell it.

Meh, the omnivision TWs are ugly. Better off getting the original version IE C-120/140 or C-170.

When talking about the 172 conversions the C-180 is a better comparison as to load carrying capability.

Great thread honestly. I've thought about buying this exact kind of plane( older but great engine time still remaining.) I just don't have the money available to do it. A dream for a later day.

Still looking. Thought I had one located, called a few nights ago, told him I was ready to put down a deposit, he brought up a bunch of negatives, then said he wanted to go to bed. Told him I'd sleep on it and call the next morning. Decided I wanted it anyway and called 4-5 times and he wouldn't pick up the phone, then he calls back and tells me he has a sale pending. Weird. Wasted a week's worth of correspondence.

Still looking. Thought I had one located, called a few nights ago, told him I was ready to put down a deposit, he brought up a bunch of negatives, then said he wanted to go to bed. Told him I'd sleep on it and call the next morning. Decided I wanted it anyway and called 4-5 times and he wouldn't pick up the phone, then he calls back and tells me he has a sale pending. Weird. Wasted a week's worth of correspondence.

Doesn't want to part with it

No, I think he sold it to a local = less hassle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Looking for something similar. Looking for an older 172 with a 25-50% engine, that was overhauled this millennium, and has decent paint and interior. IFR with a glideslope and a VOR would be a nice bonus.

Looking for something similar. Looking for an older 172 with a 25-50% engine, that was overhauled this millennium, and has decent paint and interior. IFR with a glideslope and a VOR would be a nice bonus.
I'm happy to share information if you want...

I've never flown one that acted like the real thing.

I flew a TD 172 that wasn't bad. The trick is to get the toe out set right in the shims. After I did that it was just fine. When I first got in it to bring it to the shop someone had it set up with toe in so the first landing was pretty squirrelly. I saw the wedge shims were in backwards, once we flipped them around it was fine. It had 180hp and a CS prop as well and we put in the tip tanks and baggage fuel tank for 12hrs+ duration and able to do an 1100nm fish spotting route. Thought the plane came out pretty good and flew well.

That said I would rather have a 170.

I'm not positive, but I think I looked at that for someone else here a while back and it was a real POS. Ryan, if you want, it's up the street and I could look at it. I'm pretty sure it's it though.
No need right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, still looking. Had a pre-buy done on a plane down in San Antonio today but it's not going to be the one I buy, so I'm looking hard again.

Back