Older Bonanza

mnewb1

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
M Newberry
So I left aviation in 2015. There were a confluence of reasons. Sold my Cherokee 180 and moved on to other things. However, I am now considering a return and in this era of crazy plane prices , I am trying to focus on overlooked under appreciation planes which has me considering the older Bonanza. I am thinking of c35 and older.

I know there are some valid reasons these are not too popular these days. But are they absolute deal killers?

There can be. If you are not aware of the ruddervator supply chain challenge, you should be. I don’t *think* that impacts C35, but don’t know for certain.

If you aren’t aware of the challenge:

Q: What is the problem the Maciel Prizes hopes to solve?

A: Replacement ruddervator skins are no longer available from Textron Aviation and TxtAv is apparently unwilling to invest in designing and certifying an alternative solution.

https://www.bonanza.org/air-safety/maciel-ruddervator-prizes/

C35 should be your absolute minimum/oldest vintage Bo. The V-speeds on the straight/A/B are annoying to operate around IMO.

The props on the spline-shaft E185/205/225 motors is the real problem floating in the punchbowl. Either unobtanium parts (Electric prop pitch change bearing), onerous ADs and hard to service mechanical hacks (Hartzell V-series props and 500 hour inspections + T-drive for the prop governor) or frightfully priced "modern" props (Hartzell MV series, often seen used in the 25K range)

None are dealkillers and the early planes fly sweetly. Over the long haul, TCO ends up pretty close to a more modern Vtail, though, so the "bargain" isn't really there.

$0.02

There can be. If you are not aware of the ruddervator supply chain challenge, you should be. I don’t *think* that impacts C35, but don’t know for certain.

If you aren’t aware of the challenge:

Q: What is the problem the Maciel Prizes hopes to solve?

A: Replacement ruddervator skins are no longer available from Textron Aviation and TxtAv is apparently unwilling to invest in designing and certifying an alternative solution.

https://www.bonanza.org/air-safety/maciel-ruddervator-prizes/
FYI Textron is making small batches of ruddervator skins now

FYI Textron is making small batches of ruddervator skins now

was making…. They apparently made a small batch exhausting their supply of this particular magnesium. From my understanding, those two ish dozen are already delivered to vendors.

was making…. They apparently made a small batch exhausting their supply of this particular magnesium. From my understanding, those two ish dozen are already delivered to vendors.
As of Feb this year. So it seems there are some solutions in the works. Not 100% fixed solution but there are also 2 mystery supplier in close works with Textron to have a solution

"Tim Fisher, Textron Aviation Manager of Piston Product Support, adds:

"We pushed for spares production runs on both versions of ruddervators. If we are able to continue obtaining the material and the skins are sold, I don’t see any reason why we will not continue small spares production runs.

"Production of the skins is challenging as the magnesium is no longer produced in the correct thickness and we are milling thicker material to make the skins. Several suppliers are also involved as we no longer have the magnesium metal treatment inhouse.

"There are currently 16 ea. of the 35-660002-26 U, 18 ea. 35-660002-26U and 5 ea. of the early version 35-660040-12 U on order to put in spares stock. The previous run of the -25 u and -26 u sold out in about 30-60 days. Looks like pricing will continue to increase."

Back