Old Rhinebeck Pirep

hankrausch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GoodbyePOA
Stanford (my alma mater) and West Point played at West Point this weekend so I combined that game with a trip to Old Rhinebeck to which I had always wanted to go.
They had about 10 planes flying that you might not see anywhere else and two that you definitely will not see anywhere flying! Those both used wing warping for control, one was a Curtis pusher and one looked very similar to the Bleriot that flew across the channel--and they actually flew both, just up and down along the runway but it still took my breath away, those two were worth the time & effort and money to get up there alone.
From memory, the others were a 1929 D4 standard, A Gipsy Moth, a De Haviland biplane, a Jenny, a J3 Cub--they had all 5 up in formation. And then the warbirds--a Spad 7, a Fokker D7, and a Fokker triplane (Red Baron style). A mock dogfight, but no Immelmann's, chandelles mostly but still fantastic to watch. All in all well worth it--if you go getting in at 1 is fine, I arrived at 10 and there was not much to see, the acts on the ground are kind of corny but so what. And Kingston would be a good bet to fly into, I was in Sussex because it was closer to West Point and that kind of looked like a set from Mad Max. Ex-military get $5 off which is a great deal.

It's been decades since I've been to The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. I still have my Jasta, signed by Cole Palen, sitting in storage somewhere. It was a good time!!

Back