Old plane seat belts

sbonek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Bonek
For now, I'm content to continue renting, but at some point, I'm hoping to either purchase an plane on my own, or as part of a partnership.

At what point did plane's start coming with shoulder restraint seatbelts as opposed to just lap belts? Was it different by manufacturer?

For next 4 years, my kids will still have to use a booster seat in the car (and thus any plane they fly in) and I'm hoping to no longer be renting within that 4 years.

Are there ways to retrofit a plane that only has lap belts to include a shoulder restraint?

Not sure of the exact date when shoulder belts became mandatory, but there are many after-market STC and OEM service kits to do this. Our '77 182Q does not have rear seat shoulder belts (yet) but it does have the securing plates for them in the airframe, and we will be adding them soon. Other models can readily be modifed by securing the belts to the wing spar (high wing) or reinforced areas of the cabin ceiling (low wing). The FAA came out with a policy a number of years ago that promotes the addition of shoulder harnesses by simplifying the process of approving the installation mods needed.

Jeff

For now, I'm content to continue renting, but at some point, I'm hoping to either purchase an plane on my own, or as part of a partnership.

At what point did plane's start coming with shoulder restraint seatbelts as opposed to just lap belts? Was it different by manufacturer?

For next 4 years, my kids will still have to use a booster seat in the car (and thus any plane they fly in) and I'm hoping to no longer be renting within that 4 years.

Are there ways to retrofit a plane that only has lap belts to include a shoulder restraint?

Yep. I did it. When I bought a pair about 7 years ago the New Piper kit was around $800 a side. Labor extra. They have a roof reinforcement kit included.

When I saw "Old plane seat belts" I thought you wanted a pair. I still have mine. I have the original fiberglass beacon surround from the tail, too.

Yep. I did it. When I bought a pair about 7 years ago the New Piper kit was around $800 a side. Labor extra. They have a roof reinforcement kit included.

When I saw "Old plane seat belts" I thought you wanted a pair. I still have mine. I have the original fiberglass beacon surround from the tail, too.

That seems pretty reasonable. I figured there had to be a way to retrofit the older planes, but before I seriously started looking at buying an older aircraft I wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Required equipment:

91.205 (b) (14):

(14) For small civil airplanes manufactured after July 18, 1978, an approved shoulder harness for each front seat. The shoulder harness must be designed to protect the occupant from serious head injury when the occupant experiences the ultimate inertia forces specified in §23.561(b)(2) of this chapter. Each shoulder harness installed at a flight crewmember station must permit the crewmember, when seated and with the safety belt and shoulder harness fastened, to perform all functions necessary for flight operations. For purposes of this paragraph—

(i) The date of manufacture of an airplane is the date the inspection acceptance records reflect that the airplane is complete and meets the FAA-approved type design data; and

(ii) A front seat is a seat located at a flight crewmember station or any seat located alongside such a seat.

Back