Old photos of C-119s

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
These are photos of C-119s a friend sent me. I have around ten or so jumps from these planes. He was crewing these things at the time. He was in the air force when I was with the 101st. Here is the copy he sent with them:

"Cuban Crisis" was taken over Illinois during the time we were activated during the crisis. The others were at EAFB in preparation for war-games with the Canadians. I have additional pics but seems I am limited by Yahoo as to the total megs permitted.

John

Attachments

• CubanCrisis.jpg
    CubanCrisis.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
  • Prep_1.jpg
    Prep_1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • Prep_2.jpg
    Prep_2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • Prep_3.jpg
    Prep_3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
That's one good looking plane. It has that nice classic look to it.

Thanks for posting

Last edited:
We used to call these the flying boxcar when I was a kid. I'd see them fly over the house, and could always pick them out due to the distinctive twin boom design.

Nice photos!

We had abunch of these at RCAF station Downswiew (Toronto) in the early sixties when I was stationed there. They provided many hours of entertainment watching them landing without nosegear.

There's one outdoors at the museum at KPUB. Their outdoor displays are looking a little ratty, but they're trying with an all volunteer crew...

There's one outdoors at the museum at KPUB. Their outdoor displays are looking a little ratty, but they're trying with an all volunteer crew...

I've seen that one. The B-29 inside is awesome.

I remember them as leaky, drafty and cold; and a real bear to wrestle on one engine. As little as a cocktail glass of ice could cause you to start looking for a way out. Granted, they are neat to look at, but that's where the fun ends. Lots of 119 wrecks in Alaska.

They used be operated by the California National Guard, out of Hayward, when I was kid. Flew Helio Couriers also. The C-119 is (not so afectionately) known as the flying coffin. It was equipt with turbo-compound R-3350s. Nice simple engine (kidding). 18 cylinders in 2 rows, 2 stage, 2 speed blowers, and turbo-compounding provided by 3 power recovery turbines...imagine a turbo - but instead of it spinning an impeller for added ram air, it spun a shaft to provide additional torque to the crankshaft. Developed well over 3,000shp...and a reputation for ventilating the cowling with thrown rods and the like. Every airliner with these engines had a less than stellar safety record. Some parts of the world DC-6s still fly for hire...but no DC-7s. Turbo-compounding is why.

I remember someone telling me when I was in the Army that the designer of the C-119 said after being told it would never fly; "If you give me enough horsepower, I'll make a f***ing barn fly."

John

Back