Old N number database ??

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
Is there a database available of aircraft that have been dropped in past years?

In the 60's I bought an Aeronca Champ from an overseas flying club in Spain. I kept an a Spanish Air Base near Sevilla as a member of the Real Aero Club de Espana. I flew all over Southern Spain but had to sell the plane when I was appointed Warrant Officer in 1967.

I know the plane was still at Tablada Air Base in 1969 since I have a photo of it parked next to a Spitfire taken during the filming of "The Battle of Britian" One of the crew doing the filming emailed me that he had learned to fly in it.

N2426E was reassigned several times over the years. I grabbed the number again to put on my current Champ project.

I would really like to know what happened to the original N2426E. I asked OK City but never got an answer back.

Paul
N2426E (the 2nd)
N1431A
2AZ1

Can you trace it through its serial number (as opposed to its N-number)?

If an aircraft was recently de-registered, you can find what happened to the old one by searching the N-number here:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx

For your N-Number, that inquiry shows a history of three previous aircraft that used the number. But nothing as far back as the Aeronca that you have in mind.

Last edited:
If it's any help, the Aeronca was removed prior to 1997. My 1997 FAA registration database doesn't show a listing, but my 2000 list shows the RAF gyro with that N-Number.

Ron Wanttaja

You could call a FSDO and ask to speak with an Inspector. Tell him what you are looking for and he can bring up a database called SPAS (Safety Performance Analysis System). Within the DB is aircraft registry which is linked up to OKC database and shows all the history of aircraft and paperwork on file such as registration and airworthiness. It also shows previous registration numbers.

Worth a try if you can find an Inspector that can take the time to look for you.

I should also add that you could do a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request through the FAA and get the info also. Just be very specific in what you are requesting.

I found the plane through the serial number. It is now registered in England. It must have been taken there by someone involved with shooting the movie. It was given the G registration in December of 1968.
Paul

Back