Old Montreal vs Downtown Montreal

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
So I'm sitting in my hotel in Montreal again and we're trying to figure out what to do today. The last three weeks we went downtown (around Rue Crescent and Rue St Catherine). There's a lot of fun, some good food, and some good sightseeing to be had around there, but we're looking for something different. I've heard really mixed reviews about "Old Montreal," so I figured I'd see what y'all have to say. Some folks say Old Montreal is really neat to see, while others seem to say it's nothing but cheesy touristy stuff. What say you?

So I'm sitting in my hotel in Montreal again and we're trying to figure out what to do today. The last three weeks we went downtown (around Rue Crescent and Rue St Catherine). There's a lot of fun, some good food, and some good sightseeing to be had around there, but we're looking for something different. I've heard really mixed reviews about "Old Montreal," so I figured I'd see what y'all have to say. Some folks say Old Montreal is really neat to see, while others seem to say it's nothing but cheesy touristy stuff. What say you?
Old Montreal is worth at least one trip to see it. After that then you are free to bistro away, all though I'll bet it is still a little too chilly for sidewalk bistros. Are the jazz clubs active?

Some folks say Old Montreal is really neat to see, while others seem to say it's nothing but cheesy touristy stuff. What say you?
I liked Old Montreal even though I went in the winter when it was about -20C and windy. I think half the stores were closed for the season so that probably included the cheesy stuff. I would like to go back in more favorable conditions.

Old Montreal was definitely worth a visit 20 years ago, but I haven't been there since. On a nice day I'd be happy drinking wine on Rue. St. Denis watching the world go round.

I like both - they each have their charms. It depends on what you're looking for, I guess.

Back