Old man winter is finally here

Why is it old man winter if we also refer to it as Mother Nature?

Personally I prefer metric because fractions suck.

Look on the bright side, for those with normally aspirated engines,we get a performance boost!

Why is it old man winter if we also refer to it as Mother Nature?

Personally I prefer metric because fractions suck.

Look on the bright side, for those with normally aspirated engines,we get a performance boost!

Winter is an Old Man because they are often crankier and grumpier than Mothers.

Metric may be mostly fractionless, but their units suck! Distances are measured in kilometers, force in hectopascals and capacitance in picofarads. That's thousands of meters, hundreds of pascals and trillionths of a pascal (1 pF = .000000000001 F).

So basically, the basic units of the metric system do not fit our needs, to say nothing of the multiple names for everything (weight in kg, force in Newtons (kg•m/sec^2), torque in joules (N•m), and pressure in Pascals (N/m^2; I leave it to the student to reduce this to basic metric units).

Yawn.

Snow and cold temps are awesome. The darkness sucks.

(50 year Alaskan)

Yawn.

Snow and cold temps are awesome. The darkness sucks.

(50 year Alaskan)

Spend anytime north of the arctic circle..???

Makes you appreciate the long days of sunshine you get in winter in ANC....:lol::lol:

I enjoyed winter in Alaska, and the snow.

Except the winter I spent in the village formerly known as Barrow. I would go to bed at 8pm exhausted, wake up at 8am exhausted, and feel tired all day long. I probably had some sort of SAD going on, but it went away when I finally saw the sun.

Back