Old lady throws coins into jet engine

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
in Shanghai China. Kind of like throwing coins into a fountain, I suppose.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40421811

_96703489_flight.png

I guess it's better than throwing coins at the other passengers. :)

Someone joked elsewhere that the pocket change could have turned into a million dollars... in repair bills. :)

Yup...

"Passengers boarding the flight reportedly saw an elderly woman throwing coins at the engine for “blessings” from the middle of the boarding staircase and alerted the crew."

Maybe China Southern sitting at the gate freed up a departure slot for one of us round-eye carriers. Pudong is about the worst in the world for only letting the home team go first.

Well at least they weren't running at the time. I remember having to boroscope a Pratt and Whitney 220 on an F-16 in the hot Las Vegas sun because a pilot left the aircraft sign off logs on the intake, started it up and nobody noticed until confetti was flying out the back.

At any airport were you board with a stair you are going to walk past the intakes.
Well, in my defense, I saw Flight 380 and read it as an Airbus A-380. No way they would normally board via airstairs. Oh well, now it makes more sense.

a pilot left the aircraft sign off logs on the intake, started it up and nobody noticed until confetti was flying out the back.

Whoopsies!

It could be a lot worse. A guy who served on a carrier in the Vietnam war told me about an incident where a sailor was sucked into a jet intake. He said the entire engine was then buried. Don't know if the burial part of the story is entirely true.

I always throw a little spare change in the koi pond outside the local whoflungdung Chinese restaurant, maybe this woman thought she was leaving a restaurant....

That guy survived. I've seen the aftermath of one who didn't. There were spiral boot marks in the F-16 intake all the way to the engine. Not pretty.

That guy survived. I've seen the aftermath of one who didn't. There were spiral boot marks in the F-16 intake all the way to the engine. Not pretty.
Whoopsies!

It could be a lot worse. A guy who served on a carrier in the Vietnam war told me about an incident where a sailor was sucked into a jet intake. He said the entire engine was then buried. Don't know if the burial part of the story is entirely true.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did in fact bury the engine. Here is an article with some rather gruesome photos of what happened to a mechanic that got sucked into a 737 engine.

WARNING GRAPHIC: http://www.sickchirpse.com/man-sucked-into-jet-plane-engine/

We gave running engines a VERY wide berth on the ramp when I was throwing bags. Especially 737-300/500 (shows my age). Those things were the Hoover vacuums of the gate area. If it wasn't tied down or too heavy, they'd suck it in.

Luckily never any of my team's flights ever missed and FOD when we had a 73 arriving...

The other team on the other side of the terminal? Not so much. They must have caused us to watch that safety video like ten extra times...

Our line service training mentions that accident as an example of complacency (40 year A&P). I went looking for more info and found way too much.

A ramper in LIT got sprayed across the terminal windows after he walked into an ATR prop. The crew did an abnormal shutdown because of an INOP gen. The guy walked backwards into the prop thinking it was secured like the 100s of other times. The FO saw the whole thing as well as the passengers standing by the windows.

A ramper in LIT got sprayed across the terminal windows after he walked into an ATR prop. The crew did an abnormal shutdown because of an INOP gen. The guy walked backwards into the prop thinking it was secured like the 100s of other times. The FO saw the whole thing as well as the passengers standing by the windows.

How long ago? If it's the one I'm thinking of, a good friend knew that FA well... and well... it reportedly messed some people up seeing that. Ugly. (I don't recall the one I know about being in LIT, but it could have been... I'm at least three degrees separated from it and never went digging for the accident reports or anything official.)

Edit: You said FO, but the one I know about the FA got a good view also. Either way, ugly ugly ugly.

Man. Think I heard of that one on here. Makes you think.

The GPU connection ports on some aircraft are pretty sketchy too, right by the prop/engine. No close calls yet.

Back