Old Guy, New Pilot, New Member

Hi Kenny, same age here, - did you get any resistance due to age? Considering getting training in spring time, thanks!

Not sure the best way to answeryour question codydog. I can’t say age is a problem. I am struggling with obtaining a medical. Diabetic and other health issues. Working through it all now.

Not sure the best way to answeryour question codydog. I can’t say age is a problem. I am struggling with obtaining a medical. Diabetic and other health issues. Working through it all now.

While you're waiting for your medical to sort out, I found chair flying and reading "Say Again" over and over to be helpful. We all knew your first good landings wouldn't last until the next lesson, been there got the shirt! :D My other thought while reading your posts was, high wings are a heck of a lot easier on your knees. So a 182 or even a 172 is easier to ingress/egress than a low winger. Seeing me roll out of a Mooney and off the trailing edge is worthy of a Benny Hill episode and would make you a believer.

FWIW, I have the Cessna equivalent of a Cherokee 140 and it has not stopped me from some amazing cross country flying VFR. I'd love fast, but either I don't fit in it or it doesn't fit in my wallet. For the 1 - 2 long XCountries every year or so that I fly, going slow doesn't matter, it's part of the journey. So really think about how many, how often, and how far you're going to be flying. If you're going 500 NMs or more with any regularity, you'll want faster and an instrument rating to improve your dispatch rate. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck and best wishes. It is very common to take up flying later in life, and one of the best pilots I ever flew with started when he was 65. You can always go BasicMed at some point in the future, and that might be simpler if you require an SI. Melanoma can be no big deal with the FAA depending on the exact circumstances. BTDT. I'm sure your AME is on top of it. Most AMEs want to find a way you can fly. BTW, pilots are at much higher risk of melanoma because of high altitude sun exposure. I didn't know that when I started flying. And i flew a bubble canopy AA1A for 4 years early in my career. And baked in the sun above. My PCP has seen quite a few pilots with head and neck melanomas. Sunscreen is recommended if you fly a lot, as some UV still gets through, and is more intense at altitude.

Hey cooter. Presently not UCY but probably eventually will be. Right now flying out of Fulton KY.
I was at UCY the other night doing some pattern work. Small world. I have a Cherokee 140 based at KCEY (Murray KY). Maybe we can hook up for a flight one day.

I have been quiet on here for a while. Thought I would post my progress. Started on this venture October 2018. Quickly ran into delays over medical issues. Late June I finally received my class 3 medical and student pilot license. I quickly soloed after that in a Cherokee 140. After the solo progress has been much quicker. I am currently at 53 total hours. I did my first solo cross country Friday. Ran into a little weather that I was able to fly around. It was a great learning experience.

I have debated with myself about which aircraft to purchase. A 140 like I started my training in? My last airplane first? Something like a Bo? Or something in between like a C182? Earlier this week I took the leap. I bought a 1999 Bonanza A36. I am ashamed of the cost of insurance I am having to pay this first year. My thought process was the high insurance premium was more cost effective than trading up 2 or 3 times. Time will tell. So far I am giddy over this plane. We flew from KUCY to KJWN one day, 103 NM, did a touch and go, and was back at KUCY in 80 minutes. I love it.

I have decisions to make now concerning finalizing my training for a PPL. Let me explain. The 140 I am soloing in is having issues. It needs to go for maintenance on a couple of issues and I can see it being out of commission for a few weeks. I am also doing training in the Bo, but of course not ready to solo yet. Insurance requires 25 hours dual and 50 landings. I have 6 hours and 6 landings so far. My instructor is also a farmer. His time will be limited after Labor day. I really would like to push through to the finish line during August which is possible. But do I do the check ride in the Bo or the 140? I suppose time will tell.

I am really excited about this new venture. Feels like the world has suddenly gotten smaller!

1999 A36!!!! I’m always shocked at how poor I am despite making more than I ever expected. CONGRATULATIONS!

If your goal is quickest route to PPL, ignoring the mx issue, finish in the 140.

If your goal is quickest route to awesome xcountries in your beautiful new plane (which you are required by POA bylaws to post pics, including of the panel) then you finish in the Bo.

That’s going to add time with the constant speed prop and gear, likely more sophisticated panel (DPE will likely make you demonstrate each piece of equipment like a manual gear extension, vs just doing that with the CFI for an endorsement - maybe somebody can chime in on that).

But you’ll hit your insurance requirement sooner and get a better feel for your much heavier faster plane relearning all the maneuvers in it.

Congrats on the medical too.

2A467E8B-09B1-429C-A670-6A97A451C547.jpeg This picture is in Sikeston Mo. Sort of a requirement in our area. It is a 1 1\2 hour drive from home due to the Mississippi River. Sikeston is the home of Lambert’s, the home of the throwed rolls. Evidently they love aviation there. A phone call to them and they send a van right to the plane and pick you up, delivery you to the restaurant, bring you in the back door, and seat you immediately regardless of the line waiting to get in. I could get used to the red carpet treatment.

Awwwwww, she's beauuuuuutiful!

It sounds like the only reason there's a "dilemma" here is that your instructor is going to be less available starting next month.
If it weren't for that, then I'd say "finish training in the plane that makes you HAPPY, that brings you JOY, that you have to build hours in for insurance purposes and get to know anyway."

So is there any possibility of finding a different instructor, one who will be available enough to finish in the Bo? Then it wouldn't be under any kind of time crunch... you could take things at your own pace, and emerge from PP also able to be insured. (Having "must finish by <x> date!" constraints can be tough and can mess with your head.)

What CFI wouldn't want the chance to take some sweet XC's in that fine machine?

Wow. Just wow!!! That is gorgeous.

I agree with @kath I believe the National Bonanza Society (or something similar) has a list of Bo specialty CFIs that you could use, but not at the current rate you’re paying your CFI.

Is there a need to get it done before harvest? Although I see the issue with training in the MO Winter delaying things too.

Maybe see what you can get done in the Bo and just be ready for it to take a bit longer.

That’s a beautiful plane! And Lambert’s is big around “here”. If you put it in the search window on POA I bet you’ll see a number of old fly ins pop up.

I appreciate the input but I’m sticking with my CFI. There’s not really a need to get it done by harvest but it would be nice. It happens when it happens. I had to drive to Nashville yesterday for a concert we have had plans to go to for months. 200 miles. Sure bites to drive that far with a perfectly good airplane in the hanger! HaHa

I just turned 59 today... so, yes, you really are pretty old...; ) Congrats on your story and plane. Very cool. Flying I have discovered really is truly about the journey, which never ever seems to end. Keeps it interesting. Have fun.

Making fast progress in the Bo. I have trained in her 16.9 hours and landed 43 times. Previously I wrote I needed 25 hours and 50 landings to satisfy the insurance. I was wrong. I need 20 hours. Yesterday afternoon I finally started nailing my landings. I was struggling with the final parts just before the wheels touch. Pattern work has been good all along. I feel as if I am just before soloing.

I only lack a few things to check off before my check ride. 1.5 hours of night flight and 5 night landings. 1.5 hours under the hood. I need to practice all the maneuvers a bit more. I took the ground school exam Thursday and made a 95! The first question was something I had never heard of before. Skipped it and went to question 2. I had no idea of the answer. I was thinking, I am in trouble!! LOL But obviously it got easier. I am anxious to get the piece of paper that says I am a private pilot!

I absolutely love flying the Bo. It handles so nicely. There is more to see after. As long as there are no other problems I seem to stay ahead of it. I can certainly see how one can get behind it. Hopefully with more experience I will stay ahead of it when things go south.

I am absolutely loving this flying thing. It is far more intense that I imagined in the beginning. Flying the plane is the easy part. It keeps me thinking, reading, and studying. Keeping me young. I love it.

Yesterday we were 25-30 miles away from my home airport doing maneuvers. My CFI said..Kenny Lee take us to the airport. I’m not saying a word. I set the GPS like a champ even though I didn’t really need it. Turned the correct heading, right rpms, right MP, etc. 7-8 miles out I radioed local traffic perfectly. Who I am talking to, Who I am, and what are my intentions. I will be entering a left downwind for runway 19. I descended at the right time and speed. Entered the pattern flawlessly. Mixture rich. Pattern flaps at midfield, dropped the gear abeam the numbers, MP to 17”. Descending at 500 FPM, speed 100-105 kts, radioed position, turned for base, lined up on final, prop forward, GUMP check, yaw damper off. Looks good, touched down on centerline and greased it in. Flawless. Until he informed me I landed on runway 1. Sheesh

Flying... the journey that never ever ends...

Start my check ride in 30 minutes or so. Think I am prepared as well as I can be. Time will tell. If I don’t pass, they can’t shoot me. I’ll just come back until I do. BUT, wish me luck.

You’re going to do great! Good luck sir!

Flying now... bet it’s success!

I still don’t have a pilots license. I am disappointed but pleased if that makes sensed. I bombed a pretty simple landing, a soft field. I have plenty of excuses I could make. But the bottom line is I wasn’t on my A game and messed it up. After making a crappy landing I still could have saved it if I would havesimply held the yoke back like I was trained. But, I quit. So, a bit of practice and I will reschedule for one day next week. All my fault.

Type 2 diabetes will require a Special Issuance Medical. Your local FAA doctor will forward your testing/diagnosis into to Oklahoma City and they will determine whether to issue. They probably will but you will have to "re-apply" every year for the special issuance. I recommend once the Special Issuance is issued you flip to the Basic Med.

No worries, Kenny, you'll nail it next time!! Let us know when you're rescheduled, and we'll be rootin' for ya!
"Keep flying it till it's parked" as they say.
Do you have the type of instructor who takes you to "real" soft fields to practice?

As of noon today I is a pilot with a PPL. So glad that is accomplished. Took the wife up today for the first time with her in the cockpit. We were flying 225 miles to eat at a Chilis, but the weather was bad so we diverted to Paducah. $250 worth of fuel, $25 Uber fees and a $40 meal. $100 hamburgers ain’t nothin.

Congratulations Kenny, I've been following your journey to achieving your goal.

I can relate to much of it, I started my PPL journey at age 61, passed my checkride at 62, now turned 70 and still loving every minute I go flying. And like you said in one of your earlier posts, The flying, the reading, the studying keeps you feeling young, that is so true.

Although most of my flying has been in Florida I am now mostly based in the UK and I feel I'm doing my PPL studying all over again as there are so many differences re. airspace, different terminology ect. here in Europe. But it's all good and I hope I have many more years as a PIC ahead of me yet.

Good luck sir with your ongoing aviation adventure.

Xscaliber. Thanks for the post. It is a learning experience. Always heard the PPL is a license to learn. I believe it. I fly out of KUCY, which is a small non towered airport. I have flown into KPAH several times which is Class D. I am going to start with flying into more Class Ds first. Eventually I will try Cand B although in no hurry for those. Those ATC guys talk faster than I can listen. Lol

Congratulations Kenny .
I'm 79 come October and just got going again . Did 4 hours back in 1970 -76 in a Cherokee 140 ,
Now have another 5 hours in a C 150 .
Old dogs learn new tricks but slowly . Like the 150 over the 140 a bunch. But it does like to float on transition.
Landing a bit interesting as instructor likes a steep approach . It tightens hemorids. LOL

Kenny, congrats on the ppl and Bo. The bo is an ifr airplane, it can take you from nice weather to not so nice real fast. Get going on instrument rating as soon as you can and be careful in that thing.

Back