Old DUI for 1st Class Medical

What about the “have you ever been arrested for a alcohol..” thing on the medical application?

HI James, what about it? I check yes. I'm not suggesting I ever try to hide the incident. Just wondering what the path might be to getting a special issuance, and if that path might be easier in a few years or if being a working pilot while going through that path (e.g. documenting sobriety in Europe) might be an option.

From past threads, this is a short summary of what might be expected.
  • A $6000 to $10,000 budget to pay for they various things the FAAwill require of you.
  • A neuro cognative psychological screen of extreme depth that only a very few HIMS psychologists can administer, paid for out of your pocket
  • Direct sponsorship with a Senior HIMS AME, to whom you report to frequently and to whom you must demonstrate you are doing what is required to earn the medical certificate. There are very, very few of these AME’s, so plan onfrequent travel to see the one who is working your case.
  • 90 days of intensive alcohol dependency treatment.
  • 100% sobriety and abstinence from all alcohol. Wine with girlfriend and beer with buddies is now verboten,
    für immer
  • Documented attendance with alcohol dependency meetings
  • Many, many random pee in the cup whiz quizzes
  • And much, much more.

The big thing to get any medical certification effort launched is that you need to obtain the sponsorship of the Senior HIMS AME. While there are many "regular" AME's in the land, the number of HIMS AMES's are much fewer. And you need to find one close enough to you so that when he contacts you for the random whiz quiz, you can appear before him before any deadline expires. And from I've seen discussed on this topic in the past, rack up too many missed appointments and all you have worked on to date goes away and you must restart from the beginning.

I will add that I am just a bystander who is just a teensy bit more informed than the completely uninformed. I very much defer to the Doctors Lou and Bruce who are our two participating Senior AME's.

Finally, I wouldn't discuss your case too much further in any public forums. Just get the information of who you need to speak with to get started, then go see them and .... get started.

and could get a EASA First Class Medical and fly there instead. So another option is to train and fly in Europe until 10 years have passed (basically by the time I'm done training and working my low hours jobs), if it might result in the process being easier. In addition, by starting in Europe I could have more time to document my sobriety and make the application easier.
I fail to see how obtaining a medical certificate with a history of DUI is going to be any easier outside of the United States. Until you know the actual standards, practices, and methods of certification with a significant alcohol event in your history, I would refrain from saying the process is "easier"

But, if you think it is, then with what I quoted are you asking for our permission to go do that? Or what?

But if you want to be a pilot for recreation in the United States, or one day achieve your ATP and fly for revenue, you will need to prove to the FAA that it is more about what is going on between your ears than what is going into your mouth and gullet.

Hi, thanks Mike. There are HIMS AMEs in Europe (but not many!) so it may be possible to follow that path from there, which is what I'm looking at. Being a pilot in Europe isn't a terrible consequence anyway whether it does or doesn't work out.

EASA is the European FAA. They do not use criminal records on the medical is the same way the FAA does, from my understanding. It's basically a medical exam. I don't suggest it's better or easier but for me it would not present the same obstacle as the HIMS process.

edit: Upon reflection I realize I might have trouble if I enter substance abuse treatment while a certified pilot in Europe

Last edited:
edit: Upon reflection I realize I might have trouble if I enter substance abuse treatment while a certified pilot in Europe
.... which goes along with my cautions of do all things possible to know more about the medical certification process (on any continent) before you move forward blindly and because of not knowing, you become attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

tl;dr -- talk to both the US and the European HIMS AME's to learn about the respective processes before you take the wrong turn and step on a career landmine.

.... which goes along with my cautions of do all things possible to know more about the medical certification process (on any continent) before you move forward blindly and because of not knowing, you become attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

tl;dr -- talk to both the US and the European HIMS AME's to learn about the respective processes before you take the wrong turn and step on a career landmine.

Indeed. I've already talked to two HIMS AMEs (consultation, not an exam) and got vastly different opinions. I removed the post because the only way to know is to apply for both an FAA First Class Medical and an EASA First Class Medical and see what happens.

I advise to not "just apply and see what happens".

Both Dr. Bruce and Dr. Lou have many horror stories of that happening and it going all wrong.

If you don't trust the two guys you have already spoken to, reach out to the AMCD Whisperer in Bolingbrook, IL.

... the only way to know is to apply for both an FAA First Class Medical and an EASA First Class Medical and see what happens.

Nope. On the US side, Doc Bruce can give you a very good idea of FAA approval. He might know of a similar colleague in Europe for referral, but I don’t know for sure.

You trying to find one on your one isn’t hopeless, but it won’t be easy until you know who to ask.

You’ve been given two names in the US. That’s who you should be consulting with.

If it’s a single DUI what matters is if you blew. If you didn’t, you need an SAE along DSM4 lines.

If you blew less than 0.15 and you can show it is your one and only, it’s pretty simple. If you blew 0.15 or more, serious evaluation. If you blew 0.2 or more, Rehab will be required.

If you ever had in addition, a minor-in-possession, a reckless plead down, a watercraft OUI, you are in a world of hurt and need to get seen by a HIMS Psychiatrist. Some here don’t “get it” that it’s about much more than just “DUI count”.

If it’s a single DUI what matters is if you blew. If you didn’t, you need an SAE along DSM4 lines.

If you blew less than 0.15 and you can show it is your one and only, it’s pretty simple. If you blew 0.15 or more, serious evaluation. If you blew 0.2 or more, Rehab will be required.

If you ever had in addition, a minor-in-possession, a reckless plead down, a watercraft OUI, you are in a world of hurt and need to get seen by a HIMS Psychiatrist. Some here don’t “get it” that it’s about much more than just “DUI count”.

Apologies I deleted the OP. I refused the breath test and was also convicted of leaving the scene. I'm open to doing whatever the FAA asks of me and think a formal recovery would only be helpful in strengthening my recovery long term (I haven't drank for years), but it's also important for me to assess the costs and commitments associated with trying to get a special issuance.

Because anyone who would get in a canoe on a hot summer and float down river drinking beer is nuts.

Apologies I deleted the OP. I refused the breath test and was also convicted of leaving the scene. I'm open to doing whatever the FAA asks of me and think a formal recovery would only be helpful in strengthening my recovery long term (I haven't drank for years), but it's also important for me to assess the costs and commitments associated with trying to get a special issuance.
Are you aspiring to a First class cert? (revenue work)?

Are you aspiring to a First class cert? (revenue work)?
Yes, he stated he was. And he also mentioned the alternative of seeing a first class in Europe.

See Post #7. Also Post #5

What Is the process and what are the requirements for obtaining a medical cert and student pilot license with a single DUI within the past 5 years, BAC less than 0.15? Honestly asking for a friend; I'm already a licensed pilot.

What Is the process and what are the requirements for obtaining a medical cert and student pilot license with a single DUI within the past 5 years, BAC less than 0.15? Honestly asking for a friend; I'm already a licensed pilot.
There is a search function here...

Back