Old coffee

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
Ran out of the fresh stuff and found a few month old bag of beans in the pantry. Its not great but its coffee. Besides being smart and always having fresh beans around, what do you do to keep an "emergency stash" somewhat fresh?

Gotta keep a bucket of Folgers around for emergencies. Hate to admit it, but they have a couple decent ground coffees. Otherwise, one of life’s priorities is procuring fresh beans and grinding them just before brewing.

I don't really like coffee. I drink one cup a day in the morning just so I don't get headaches from not drinking it. I probably could quit it entirely but it does help me get going in the am.

Vacuum sealing it will preserve it longer so don't open the bag (or use a food saver on it).

Actually, I typically only order coffee every six months. The unroasted "green" beans will last indefinitely. I roast up a half a pound at a time (generally every 2-3 days).

Vacuum sealing it will preserve it longer so don't open the bag (or use a food saver on it).

Actually, I typically only order coffee every six months. The unroasted "green" beans will last indefinitely. I roast up a half a pound at a time (generally every 2-3 days).
Years ago, I played around with roasting beans with a hot air popcorn popper. I did that for a few months and got some pretty interesting roasts. But I never invested in a good quality roaster and got serious about it.

My emergency stash is the Starbucks Via instant packets. Just add hot water.

Yeah. I know. Instant coffee..... But, it's better than instant coffee from days gone by, and easier to keep.

Years ago, I played around with roasting beans with a hot air popcorn popper. I did that for a few months and got some pretty interesting roasts. But I never invested in a good quality roaster and got serious about it.
I got tired of the West Bend Poppery II pretty quick. I replaced it with an iRoast, but eventually my wife gave me a real nice HotTop. We pretty much use Kona coffee only. Mostly from a plantation I've visited with the owner a couple of times.

I got tired of the West Bend Poppery II pretty quick. I replaced it with an iRoast, but eventually my wife gave me a real nice HotTop. We pretty much use Kona coffee only. Mostly from a plantation I've visited with the owner a couple of times.
Which farm? My favorite is KonaEarth.

My emergency stash is fourbucks. They're going to be open during the apocalypse so I don't have to worry about getting my fix.

Back