Old Aviation Photos

rbhankins001

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Well I finally took the time to scan in my PawPaw's (my Grandpa) photos. He was active duty WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. His career as a pilot was mainly flying C130's. I have no information other than what you see in the pics as he passed away a few years ago. I hope you enjoy the pics (I have many more!) and if you can shed any light as to the type of aircraft etc that would be great to find out more!

When he was barely hanging on towards the end, I found some of these pics. I showed him a photo of him in a fabric covered biwing plane and asked him, "why in the hell would anyone ever want to fly in that thing?"

He got a big grin on his face, and said, "because it was fun"

I'll never forget that.

-Rob

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 36
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 38
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Well I finally took the time to scan in my PawPaw's (my Grandpa) photos. He was active duty WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. His career as a pilot was mainly flying C130's. I have no information other than what you see in the pics as he passed away a few years ago. I hope you enjoy the pics (I have many more!) and if you can shed any light as to the type of aircraft etc that would be great to find out more!

Vultee BT-13 Valiant

Boeing PT-17 Kaydet

North American AT-6 Texan

I don't know the year(s). I will ask my Mom and my Uncle to see if they have any idea? They also moved around a lot, so if that training took place at particular bases they would know when they lived there.

Thanks for the info!

Added: My PawPaw was also a flight instructor for a looong time.

Last edited:
I don't know the year(s). I will ask my Mom and my Uncle to see if they have any idea? They also moved around a lot, so if that training took place at particular bases they would know when they lived there.

Thanks for the info!

Added: My PawPaw was also a flight instructor for a looong time.
You might ask them if anyone still has his logbook(s).

I'm currently trying to piece together my grandfather's Army flying history myself

I have tried to do the same thing. My Grandpa's records (along with many others) were lost in the fire. I don't think there's any logbooks, but I will ask. Good luck with your search as well.

Back