Old and New (FlyBaby mx)

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
The last couple of weeks I've been working through a rather long discrepancy list on the Flybaby. I'm still probably a week or two from flying again but progress is being made.

Some pictures of the condition of the flying wire attachment points before and after.

Old:
H9IdFtF.jpg

New:
BnhtUGL.jpg

Old:
MfjMSf6h.jpg

QIiv02E.jpg

New:
OuLL0VZ.jpg

QXDTW1P.jpg

Obviously age took it's toll to a degree but the quality of work on many of the necropress fittings and poor bolt fitting weren't exactly up to Part 43 standards.

Last edited:
The 9 threads exposed on the one turnbuckle sure looked bad!

Should have had proper rotary swage fittings done. Couple extra dollars but way cleaner.

How about a washer under the cotter pin on those Clevis pins?

How about a washer under the cotter pin on those Clevis pins?

Hmm..None of them were like that and I haven't seen it suggested anywhere so I didn't do it. It seems like it'd be kind of difficult to get the clevis pin to a precise enough length that you'd be able to get a washer to fit perfectly underneath the cotter pin and not be loose.

Should have had proper rotary swage fittings done. Couple extra dollars but way cleaner.
This is per the plans. I like sticking to the plans.

This is per the plans. I like sticking to the plans.

Much easier to buy nicorpress tools and goof up a few cables than trying to trial & error more expensive rotary swaged terminals that you can't do on-site because tooling isn't available. :D

Looks really good Jesse! I think the washers are a mute point, the hole in the washer is most likely the same size as the hole in the end of the turnbuckle.

If you wanted to go old school you could always wrap and solder the cable ends

-VanDy

Nice work, Jesse.

Looks well done. You're all in practice to do tower guy wires too. LOL.

Jesse,

I did manage to get washers under the pins, but I had to use the half-thickness ones. I, too, had way too many threads showing on most of the old turnbuckles.

Looks nice and the Fly Baby is a great plane. And, it's nice the owner can do all of the work.

Back