Old Airplanes

I would presume that any DC-6 or 7 still flying would be used in some sort of an airshow act, rather than a flight op, but I could be wrong.

I don't think there are any airworthy DC-7s right now. A fellow in Florida got one going a few years back, but it broke an engine and was parked at Charlotte, I believe it is still there. It takes cubic dollars to keep one of them going.

As others have mentioned, Everts and Buffalo still operate DC-6s on a regular basis. There are some others flying as well, Red Bull has one. I don't know of any that are offering dual.

I realize this is kind of going another direction, but how about getting checked out in an L-39. It looks like it would be more fun to fly anyway:
l39training.jpg

True, although the CAF minimums are fairly high before you can fly.

I am a member and have a love-hate relationship with the CAF. I love that they keep old birds flying, but the rules have become rather excessive. I don't blame the current administration - it is the unfortunate result of decades of cowboying around with rare airplanes. They are trying hard to clean up the wild west reputation. There is an old joke that the CAF has destroyed more allied aircraft than Germany and Japan combined. While an obvious exaggeration, there is an unfortunate reality behind it.

True, but you're going to have a good few hundred hours before you start going for the cool stuff, and the T-6 opportunities I've seen are quite tempting.

If it was my goal in aviation to fly cool old airplanes, I would buy a C-170 to learn to fly in.

True, but you're going to have a good few hundred hours before you start going for the cool stuff, and the T-6 opportunities I've seen are quite tempting.

If it was my goal in aviation to fly cool old airplanes, I would buy a C-170 to learn to fly in.

A local here has a polished c170. Many of us drool over it - well taken care of.

Here is one of the 140s I fly. Draws a crowd whenever I taxi up. Now has a new engine and firewall forward and a new instrument panel. Waiting for a friend to finish the elevators and it will be back flying this spring. Don

Attachments

• 140.jpeg
    140.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 9
I couldn't swing a DC-3 or 6 so I opted for a shrunken version ...

Get your tailwheel in the Great Lakes. First tailwheel airplane I flew in 1978 soloed it in 7 hours. Great airplane and easy to land with the wide oleo gear. A little cheaper then. The brand new Great Lakes was $32 hr wet and instructor was around $13 hr so I got my tailwheel sign off for about $350. As I remember it had about 100 hrs TT when I started flying it. Don

Nice to see a couple of fellow members here that are close to me in Tennessee ;)

When I lived in Denver, there used to be a company there that did type ratings in the DC-3. Can't remember the name of it and I'm not even sure they are still in business. Most anything you want to do IS possible...given the right amount of money for it. Aaron Tippin was just typed in the B-29.

Aaron hangs around the flight school I work at, nice guy and good pilot.
Yes, THA has a Beechcraft Museum at the airport.

http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum.org
I figured it must be. Very fun day trip, been through the museum. Those staggerwings are a thing of beauty. I'll definitely be at the AOPA fly in that's coming there this summer!

Both of you feel free to hit me up if you're ever up around KMBT!

Back