Old Airplane

May be a better picture. The lighting isn't the greatest.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 69
Yup. I actually like the Alexander Eaglerock at the other end of the concourse better. It won’t turn 100 until after I retire.

You are in Denver and didn't let anyone know in advance? We could arrange a POA lunch at the airport!

There's an old field west of Montgomery AL (maybe 20 miles west of Tuskeegee) that had Jennys during WW I. All that's there now is a sign/placard and foundations of the buildings. A shame it's not preserved as subdivisions are slowly being built there.

upload_2018-2-22_9-28-5.jpeg upload_2018-2-22_9-28-23.jpeg

You are in Denver and didn't let anyone know in advance? We could arrange a POA lunch at the airport!
Well, it was rather last minute and I won't be here all that long. In at 7am and out at 10am.

I will let you all know when I am here in August for my recurrent training.

My favorite part of DEN is the Elrey Jeppesen exhibit in the main building. Some pretty cool stuff on display.

In 2048 your 34V will be 100. :)

They fly a a couple of 100+ year old airplanes, every week, May through October, at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.

Highly recommend a visit! I had been wanting to visit there since the 70s and finally went about 5-6 years ago. Also a museum and 2-3 hangars full of old planes. I went up in a '27 Standard for a plane ride and it was fun. The pilot flew west towards the Hudson River and circled with 4-5 Bald Eagles. Unbelievable experience. There another one in Bealeton VA but I don't know if they're still in operation.

http://oldrhinebeck.org/

Last edited:
There's an old field west of Montgomery AL (maybe 20 miles west of Tuskeegee) that had Jennys during WW I. All that's there now is a sign/placard and foundations of the buildings. A shame it's not preserved as subdivisions are slowly being built there.

View attachment 60370 View attachment 60371

Now I gotta go find this place! Can't read the sign in your photo . . . .

Now I gotta go find this place! Can't read the sign in your photo . . . .

It's on Taylor Rd, right where it bends, connects to Vaughn Rd on one end, and Pike Rd on the other. It's built up now so I don't know if the marker is even there anymore.

You can fly over the Tuskegee Army Air Field. It's not the same field that everyone thinks it is, the National Historic Site aka Tuskegee airport. The actual field is north of I85.

It's on Taylor Rd, right where it bends, connects to Vaughn Rd on one end, and Pike Rd on the other. It's built up now so I don't know if the marker is even there anymore.

You can fly over the Tuskegee Army Air Field. It's not the same field that everyone thinks it is, the National Historic Site aka Tuskegee airport. The actual field is north of I85.

I was just at Taylor & Vaughn! Gotta look for the signs, it's pretty developed that way, more shopping than houses any more.

Next time I'm out flying (not this weekend . . .), I'll get photos of Sharpe Field. It's halfway in the long 10.4 nm flight from Tuskegee 06A to home at 41A. It's not in good shape, I heard it's someone's hunting camp now. Buildings are mostly gone, apron and runway visible but in terrible shape. To fly low enough for good photos will require a right seater running the camera, 'cause I ain't landing there.

We were in the domestic terminal at Sydney, Australia, a few days ago. In the ticket lobby Qantas has a replica Avro 504K on display, representing the first aircraft of Queensland And Northern Territories Aerial Service. The replica was built by Qantas employees in the 1980s, but the engine, radiator, and some other parts are original Avro.

CDE5FC45-3356-40F7-9694-0FCBBB69D78C.jpeg

Upstairs from the terminal concourse Qantas has a Historic Gallery, with a number of exhibits from the airline’s interesting history. It’s in a circular room with expansive windows overlooking the approach end of YSSY Rwy 16R. Nice place to spend some time while waiting for a flight.

3C8C71DD-3DEA-4263-97B3-2A5EE3C198DA.jpeg

Coincidentally, parked at a gate right outside was their retro-paint B-737, “Retro Roo II”:

9225EAED-0256-40BA-B1E0-92C7C7FB12E4.jpeg

Our local spoke has this 107yo airplane hanging from the ceiling;
The Pliska
plisknow.jpg

They fly a a couple of 100+ year old airplanes, every week, May through October, at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.
Yes and no.

The real vintage stuff (WWI and earlier) they just do high speed taxis and ‘fly’ in ground effect. The replicas are the ones they take up into the air.

Still cool though to see originals with with working rotary engines.

I was just at Taylor & Vaughn! Gotta look for the signs, it's pretty developed that way, more shopping than houses any more.

Next time I'm out flying (not this weekend . . .), I'll get photos of Sharpe Field. It's halfway in the long 10.4 nm flight from Tuskegee 06A to home at 41A. It's not in good shape, I heard it's someone's hunting camp now. Buildings are mostly gone, apron and runway visible but in terrible shape. To fly low enough for good photos will require a right seater running the camera, 'cause I ain't landing there.

Yeah don't land because it's a private airport! I don't believe any original buildings are there. Current owner put up a hangar and repaved one runway.

Heading east on Vaugh turn right onto to Taylor Rd. Taylor Field sign is on the right (or used to be) just after you go past the bend in the road.

Instantly recognized the aircraft and where it was. B Concourse, both sides have an aircraft hanging of course. Quite the walk between!

Anchorage has a few hanging around the ceiling. A few airports in the Midwest have nice displays, models, old airlines, etc. Evansville had a man's collection of models. Not sure but Omaha or somewhere had a nice display of old flying stuff. Birmingham has a display of the Tuskegee Airmen in one waiting area.

Yes and no.

The real vintage stuff (WWI and earlier) they just do high speed taxis and ‘fly’ in ground effect. The replicas are the ones they take up into the air.

Still cool though to see originals with with working rotary engines.

Not entirely true.
The Jenny is original, and they fly it regularly.
They flew the original Bleriot last season, for the first time in decades. I don't think it will happen again this year. Probably never again. The field is just not conducive for no brakes and wing warping.

Not entirely true.
The Jenny is original, and they fly it regularly.
They flew the original Bleriot last season, for the first time in decades. I don't think it will happen again this year. Probably never again. The field is just not conducive for no brakes and wing warping.
That’s cool. I didn’t see the Jenny fly when I was there a few years ago.

Did they actually get the Bleriot out of ground effect?

That’s cool. I didn’t see the Jenny fly when I was there a few years ago.

Did they actually get the Bleriot out of ground effect?

Yes they did.
It was strictly by accident.
The kill switch malfunctioned, and the pilot flew it around the patch, killed the fuel and landed.
I think it took him about 30 minutes before he stopped shaking enough to get out of the plane.

Back