Okay Win10 experts!!!???

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
I have many desktop shortcuts that point to some google page, but only one of the allows me to choose which graphics processor I want to use:

6asZe8.jpg

None of the other shortcuts gives me this option. What happened to allow the selection and why can't I do it again??

What exactly are you trying to do? Open Web pages using hardware acceleration in the browser?

Rich

What exactly are you trying to do? Open Web pages using hardware acceleration in the browser?

Rich

I am just wanting to be able to have the option to run either integrated or the NVIDIA processor.

I get the option on one of my Chrome desktop shortcuts (as seen above) but the other shortcuts to Chrome pages do not give me that option.

I am just wanting to be able to have the option to run either integrated or the NVIDIA processor.

I get the option on one of my Chrome desktop shortcuts (as seen above) but the other shortcuts to Chrome pages do not give me that option.

Are you on a desktop or a laptop? I've only ever seen that acceleration option on laptops with NVidia cards. If you're on a desktop (ie, tower style PC) then my link was probably an unintentional dead-end. :D

The idea on the laptop is to allow you to use the low-power integrated video card (built into the intel chip) or the high-power nvidia video chip, depending on how much you care about video performance.

(I think you're describing a laptop, just wanted to make sure)

You may also benefit from going to the nvidia site and seeing if they have updated drivers for you. They'll likely redirect you to your laptop manufacturer's support site for some driver updates.

I think what we’re curious about is what runs inside a browser that actually benefits from using the high power video chipset.

Most stuff, the OS will look at it, know it’s a graphics intensive application (or the application will ask for it) and it’ll switch on its own.

So I guess the secondary question is, what software inside Chrome was written so badly it doesn’t ask to use it? :)

Or is there some oddball thing we’re missing?

On the previously mentioned -

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht082304

See section that begins
"Follow the instructions below to enable the Context menu:"

If you enable the context menu right clicking on ANY desktop icon will offer the option to "Run with graphics processor"
There are other options but this looks quite simple to set up.

I'm running a Microsoft surface book 2, the last update broke it pretty bad, one of the issues is the nvidia g card doesn't work. That's one of the issues. I hate Microsoft.

I really don't know much about Chrome. I try to use Google stuff as little as possible. I use it to upload videos to YouTube for a client, and I forget why I even do that. I know there was a reason at some point. I just don't remember what it was.

What I'm thinking, however, is that the option may only be available when the content is such that it would make a difference. On most Web graphics, it would make little or no difference which GPU you used.

Rich

See section that begins
"Follow the instructions below to enable the Context menu:"

If you enable the context menu right clicking on ANY desktop icon will offer the option to "Run with graphics processor"
There are other options but this looks quite simple to set up.

You'd think! And I've been there.........but no joy!

LmI1tO.jpg

Set all those checkmarks, but still don't get the option menu. Maybe I have to reboot, going there now.

What I'm thinking, however, is that the option may only be available when the content is such that it would make a difference. On most Web graphics, it would make little or no difference which GPU you used.

Or Nvidia’s code that adds the context menu only does it to the first Chrome shortcut it finds, assuming that’s the main Chrome shortcut installed on the desktop and there couldn’t POSSIBLY be others. Hahaha.

I’m putting money on this theory. Hahaha.

Remove all Chrome shortcuts to a folder outside of Desktop folder and drop one at a time on desktop and I bet the first one there gets the correct context menu and the rest don’t get it as you add a second, third, etc.

I’d laugh anyway if that’s the case. Easy to try out.

Back