Okay... NOW you can throw money!

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
The glider gods smiled on our little club today, bringing forth workable ceilings and light winds for two check rides: my commercial-glider and Pavel's private pilot-glider add-on (he's also a PPASEL, with a good amount of glider time from Europe, but no glider cert previously).
I did OK, despite getting an unexpected case of nervousness as I arrived at the airport... "our" DPE, the one and only Randy Rickert, is very good at making it quick, simple, and relaxed, while still hitting all the PTS bases, and he remembered me from my PP-G test with him two years ago, and that was a big help.
He opted to drive out from PA rather than flying his Luscombe, but arrived cheerful as usual. I had been tasked with checking the weather and making the go/no go call the night before (not easy, predicting cloud bases 12-plus hours in advance!), so I was praying that we wouldn't make his trip a waste of time, as far as the flying goes. The morning METARs and FA still promised good conditions by around noon, but it was hard to say yet what would happen. It still looked grim, with low scud hanging around, so he just decided to do the two orals back-to-back, then we'd have a look-see.
The oral was conversational, and I was happy to see that all the cramming for the written was still proving effective... I hadn't had much chance to study effectively since then, and that had me worried. But it went well, and half my burden was taken away.
After we'd both taken our turns, we all stood around for a bit, chewing the fat while the sky steadily improved. The banner pilots were already heading out to cover a nearby college football game, and their informal PIREPs were promising. In about an hour, we had clear air up to about 2700, so it was time to stage the trainer and have at it. The wind dictated we launch and land to the east; unusual for us, but not a big deal.

The flights were also stress-free...except for the SRB! I was not expecting a low-level SRB or wave-off, especially on the first flight (of two)- he banged us off at just over the minimum (200 AGL) during the first takeoff, the dirty so-and-so!! I almost choked, but managed to turn around and land downwind without any trouble. I'm sure examiner and tow pilot (our very own Turbo) had a good chuckle over that.
Didn't stop within 100 feet of, but not past, our previously agreed-on landmark alongside the landing area (as per the commercial PTS), but he just said "that'll be the warmup- show me the spot landing on the next one".

Second flight went quite well- we were able to go to 3000 before release (ceiling was a bit higher than forecast, and starting to break up), and I did a pretty good box on the way. The turn off the release counted as a clearing turn, so we went straight into stalls (straight ahead, turning, spoilers cracked). The commercial also calls for a steep turn (60 degrees bank) through 720 degrees... I started to roll out after only 360 (d'oh!), but he liked my turn so much he let that slide, allowing me to just get back into it.
Then some minimum-speed turns, as steep as possible, and a covered-altimeter approach and landing, starting at about 2000 AGL, north of the field, opposite our right-hand pattern for 07. I initially regretted my decision to try to overfly and turn for a 45 to downwind, as I wound up pretty low crossing the runway, but it all worked out in the end, and I was reminded that in order to effectively judge height without an altimeter, you need to practice it often, even if it's just guessing before you look at the altimeter. I thought I had that wired, but I need more work on it. If I walk away from a check ride feeling I learned something, I try to be glad for it.

Made a good landing within 100 feet, slipping with spoilers, didn't break anything or hurt anybody, and next thing I knew I was qualified to fly gliders for hire. Feels pretty good, and I'm inspired to keep moving forward, with the goal of getting the CFI-G by this time next year.

Pavel also rocked his oral and checkride... I was glad to see that, but not surprised because he is a good stick and really wanted that rating.

Woohoo I get to be the 1st? Congrats! Now we just need to get "sandy" through here and gone and we'll get together so my Son can go up with you :)

Congrats!
This is motivation for me to get that $#%! CP-G written test done...

I was told afterwards that SRB was at 300; sure seemed lower, LOL! I guess I never really looked at the altimeter- first thing is to lower the nose in any case, and looking over my shoulder at that point, I could see the turnaround was do-able.

Looking forward to some free tows with paying pax next season, but any of you PoA types show up for a ride, it's on me. :yes:

Back