Okay, I Gotta Give Macs Kudos on This One...

K

KennyFlys

I've finished the lesson plans based on the PPL PTS. So, I'm wanting to print a list of the files in that folder to double check as well as count them against what might not match the CPL and CFI lesson plans/outlines folders.

It seems Windows does NOT have a means to do this minor task. I do recall Macs having that ability from Day One. So, Bravo to Macs on that feature.

Here's the directons on Microflop's web site in order to make a list:
How to Print a Folder Listing in Windows

View products that this article applies to.
Article ID:196628Last Review:January 23, 2007Revision:2.4
This article was previously published under Q196628

SUMMARY

This article describes how to print a listing of files or folders using Windows Explorer or My Computer.
MORE INFORMATION

To print a listing of files or folders, you can copy an image of a My Computer or Windows Explorer window to the Clipboard, paste it into an image editing or word processing program, and then print the image.

To create and print an image of a listing of files or folders using Microsoft Paint, follow these steps:

1.In My Computer or Windows Explorer, open the folder you want to print, and then press ALT+PRINT SCREEN to copy an image of the active window to the Clipboard.

2.Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Paint.

3.On the Edit menu, click Paste, and then click Yes to display the image.

4.On the File menu, click Print.

NOTE: If there are more files or folders than can be displayed in the My Computer or Windows Explorer window (in other words, you must scroll to see all the files or folders), you must scroll to view these files, and then repeat steps 1-4.
:rolleyes:

Meh, its easier to do than that. If you know where your printer is located (ie, which port its using), go to a dos prompt, type in "dir >LPT1" if you're old school and still use a printer that uses a parallel port, and voila, it will print.

If you don't know, or that doesn't work, you can always do "dir > filename" and then open said filename in notepad and print it.

Open file name? What about printing the entire folder (directory)?

Open file name? What about printing the entire folder (directory)?

Trust me on this one, it prints the entire directory. Try it if you don't believe me. The first command "DIR > filename" will output the entire contents of the directory to a single file as text. Then open the file and print it.

Trust me on this one, it prints the entire directory. Try it if you don't believe me. The first command "DIR > filename" will output the entire contents of the directory to a single file as text. Then open the file and print it.
Not working.

Not working.
If you just type DIR at the dos prompt you should see the current directory contents scroll by on the screen.

Maybe you are not navigating to the right directory before you do the DIR. When you get the DOS prompt, type cd \ to get to the root directory then walk down the tree to the directory you want as follows:

cd subdir 1 <cr>
cd subdir 2 <cr>
cd subdir 3 <cr>

etcetera until you get to the directory you want. This does require that you know the directory tree structure.

-Skip

For example:

At work, I have the U drive. so - run CMD, then type:
cd u:\test
dir > test.txt

Attachments

• dir.JPG
    dir.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 17
  • test.txt
    470 bytes · Views: 8
You have a Unix shell on the Mac:

Code:
ls -a | egrep 'lesson' | cut -f3 | uniq | sort | lp

:D

You have a Unix shell on the Mac:

Code:
ls -a | egrep 'lesson' | cut -f3 | uniq | sort | lp
:D
Come on Mike. You are making it look way worse then it would be.

Code:
ls > list.txt

Come on Mike. You are making it look way worse then it would be.

Code:
ls > list.txt

I was showing the power of the shell, bro. Yours wouldn't even print without a separate step.

My line would, in theory, find files named "lesson", take only the third column of the directory listing, remove duplicates, sort alphabetically, and send that to the printer. :D ( put in a "| tee files.txt " at the end and it would save to a file and print!)

Invoke awk and you could do more. :D

BTW, I don't know that lp maps to the default printer. I'll bet it does.

cd /
rm -rf *

-----------
There. Problem solved. ;)

I was showing the power of the shell, bro. Yours wouldn't even print without a separate step.

My line would, in theory, find files named "lesson", take only the third column of the directory listing, remove duplicates, sort alphabetically, and send that to the printer. :D ( put in a "| tee files.txt " at the end and it would save to a file and print!)

Invoke awk and you could do more. :D

BTW, I don't know that lp maps to the default printer. I'll bet it does.

Well printing is pretty much a waste of time. He'd be better off just comparing them with diff. I wasn't complaining because of you showing the power of the shell--I was complaining because you didn't explain you were doing a lot more then just redirecting to a file.

The inability to print a directory listing, in Windows, has been a persistent source of irritation to me. I have tried several third-party utilities, none of which would do quite what I wanted.

Ridiculous.

Never fear, I shall have a solution shortly!

The inability to print a directory listing, in Windows, has been a persistent source of irritation to me. I have tried several third-party utilities, none of which would do quite what I wanted.

Ridiculous.
Agreed!

I think I'll just do it the hard way. I don't want to go through all that at this time. After I'm done using that computer for CFI work, it's headed off to HP to replace the power supply.

But, one would think one of you Windows Wizzards could write a simple application to handle the task.

I think I'll just do it the hard way. I don't want to go through all that at this time. After I'm done using that computer for CFI work, it's headed off to HP to replace the power supply.

But, one would think one of you Windows Wizzards could write a simple application to handle the task.

Why? We'd just be reinventing the wheel. You can already do it several different ways.

Step 1: Start DOS

Step 2: Enter command
Code:
cd %USERPROFILE%/Desktop
Step 3: Enter command
Code:
dir /B "c:\<path-to-directory>\" > directorylist.txt
Step 4: Open file called directorylist.txt on your desktop and print it

Note: replace <path-to-directory> in Step 2 with the actual path to the directory...and make sure that it is surrounded by "double quotes"

i.e.
Code:
"c:\Documents and Settings\Kenny\Desktop\classwork\"

Jason, don't you know pre-windows DOS command line commands are a lost art?

;)

Jason, don't you know pre-windows DOS command line commands are a lost art?

;)

Yes, which is why I suggested Cygwin. :D

Using Cygwin you can use modern style linux commands in windows to accomplish the same things that Mike was doing earlier in the thread.

Why? We'd just be reinventing the wheel. You can already do it several different ways.

Step 1: Start DOS

Step 2: Enter command
Code:
cd %USERPROFILE%/Desktop
Step 3: Enter command
Code:
dir /B "c:\<path-to-directory>\" > directorylist.txt
Step 4: Open file called directorylist.txt on your desktop and print it

Note: replace <path-to-directory> in Step 2 with the actual path to the directory...and make sure that it is surrounded by "double quotes"

i.e.
Code:
"c:\Documents and Settings\Kenny\Desktop\classwork\"

a few input prompts, save as a .bat and let them click away ... there ya' go ... a winduhs program .... or a couple of hundred lines of java code and yet another winduhs application

BTW, the are about 4 different ways to print a window on Mac. The easiest is to use the Grabber application but you can also do Command-shift-4, which I never remember.

yeah - I never remember the mac print commands, either (and I'm on one right now) ... For some reason Windoze ALT-PRTSCREEN (or is it CTRL-ALT-PRTSCREEN?) sticks in my mind ... then it's "ok, now what do I do with it to print it?" gotta paste it into something to get it off the clipboard

BTW, the are about 4 different ways to print a window on Mac. The easiest is to use the Grabber application but you can also do Command-shift-4, which I never remember.

yeah - I never remember the mac print commands, either (and I'm on one right now) ... For some reason Windoze ALT-PRTSCREEN (or is it CTRL-ALT-PRTSCREEN?) sticks in my mind ... then it's "ok, now what do I do with it to print it?" gotta paste it into something to get it off the clipboard

A key difference Mac vs, Windows:

On OS X on the Mac The COMMAND-SHIFT-4 turns the cursor into a camera icon (Snapshot. Get it?) which you take to the window you want to capture and then click. It saves the window to a .tif image file on the desktop. You can open that with iPhoto or Preview, which comes with OS X.

On Windows the ALt-PrtScrn captures the active Window to the clipboard and you need to be sure you know which one is active. From the clipboard you have to paste it to something useful, like a graphics application (of which only Paintbrush comes with windows). You can paste to Word or Powerpoint, but a third-party photo editor is better.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll give in. We'll try to tomorrow and see if dos works.

My buddy made up something that will print out directories for you.

Select the directory, click output and it load it into the left 1/2 of the screen. Select a second directory, and click output it will load it to the right half of the screen.

You can then view all files in the directory, only files that match in both directories, or only files that don't match in both directories. Click RTF for what you want to view, and then you can print it out.

If ya like it, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a donation or two.

Attachments

• DirectoryOutput.zip
    36.9 KB · Views: 1
I hate unghosting threads, but to illustrate the ease in which to do this, I needed a list of all the karaoke songs I have right now (I run karaoke in my house for parties using my computer, my tv, my mixing board, and my mics), and it worked like a charm, as it always does:

Code:
cd \karaokesongs
dir /B *.cdg > karaokelist.txt

boom, done. Easier and more manageable than printing the screen (on either Mac, Linux, or Windows)

The output looks great (this is actually only a small part of my karaoke collection. I have about 20GB of karaoke songs in actuality. These are just the "Idol Makers" set.

Attachments

• karaokelist.txt
    24.7 KB · Views: 5
Wow! This thread turned into a nerdoff. "Print screen" open Paint, "Ctrl V" "Ctrl P", done.

I hate unghosting threads, but to illustrate the ease in which to do this, I needed a list of all the karaoke songs I have right now (I run karaoke in my house for parties using my computer, my tv, my mixing board, and my mics), and it worked like a charm, as it always does:

Code:
cd \karaokesongs
dir /B *.cdg > karaokelist.txt
boom, done. Easier and more manageable than printing the screen (on either Mac, Linux, or Windows)

The output looks great (this is actually only a small part of my karaoke collection. I have about 20GB of karaoke songs in actuality. These are just the "Idol Makers" set.

I'm sure you know that the above is just as easy in Linux or Mac OS. The difference is that either of them can take this a *lot* further than DOS.

I'm sure you know that the above is just as easy in Linux or Mac OS. The difference is that either of them can take this a *lot* further than DOS.

Yeah, Jesse, we mentioned that above.

You forgot to mention that the various syntax and escape rules in DOS/Windows vary on the phase of the moon, just so it takes you an hour or two of hacking and screaming to get your "simple" batch script to work as intended.

Code:
cd C:\...\'MYDOC~1'\\scripts\\"My Code"
for %%1 in %count% do
anyone? :no::mad:

Last edited:
In the time you would take to write three DOS command lines you could have Googled "freeware XP print screen file", clicked a link, and clicked download ;)

I use the free version of Gadwin Printscreen. Two clicks and it sends your active window or your whole desktop directly to your printer (or a variety of other places depending on your preference.)

I also see no one bothered to download the zip file.

Back