Okay, here we go....

lprellwitz

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iBug
Hi, all. Haven't posted in a while; things have been pretty stressful with work and flying. But I haven't gone away completely....

I'm on the path. The IR checkride is scheduled for saturday morning. Just finished the last flight with the instructor today, we'll do paperwork and tabbing of maintenance logs in the FBO Friday morning.

Approaches seem to have improved in the last month or so, and I appear to have gotten though the 'the first approach of the day is always crappy' phase. for a while I was seriously considering going up early on checkride day to get through one practice approach, just to get it out of the system. Now, I'll have time for a cup of coffee instead :)

I'd ask for tips on how not to get too stressed out about this ride, but to be honest, between work (which seems to be never-ending at present), and cooking for thanksgiving dinners (busy, but actually fun), I don't think I have time to get stressed out about it! Maybe that's a good thing.

Nonetheless.... any tips/good vibes out there, in case the reality of it all hits me sometime Friday afternoon on the way to the in-laws?

(I can see it now: the food's in the back of the car, Grant's driving, and I have been thoroughly restrained in the back seat:

Grant: No, we're not going to the airport - we're going to Mom's
Leslie: PLEEZE, just one drive past! There's got to be SOMEONE there I can go up with for one more practice approach!
Grant: We're going to Mom's
Leslie: Just one - it won't take long, I promise! We won't be late! The checkride's TOMORROW! AACK!
(Grant turns on to the entrance ramp to the expressway without a word. Leslie looks mournfully out the back window toward the airport, sniffling...))

Thanks, Leslie

lprellwitz said:
Leslie: PLEEZE, just one drive past! There's got to be SOMEONE there I can go up with for one more practice approach!
Leslie: Just one - it won't take long, I promise! We won't be late! The checkride's TOMORROW! AACK!
(Grant turns on to the entrance ramp to the expressway without a word. Leslie looks mournfully out the back window toward the airport, sniffling...))
You sound just like me before my instrument check ride. :D I kept wanting to do more before the ride...didn't think I was perfect enough. Should have listened to my CFI/husband. He knew I was ready, but it felt good to keep practicing.

You'll do great Leslie. Be sure to share the good news with us. :)

have fun. intrument checkride was pretty rewarding for me. You know what you're doing, just go out and have fun.

Like Diana said, you don't have to be perfect, just avoid anything that would get you killed if the flight was for real. To that end, try to use any spare time during the ride to recheck what you are doing and about to do. It seems most of my dumb mistakes occur either when I'm distracted or when I'm sitting there fat dumb and happy thinking everything is going too well.

And the two biggest things you need to pound into your brain are:

#1 You are passing unless the examiner specifically says you aren't ("I'm sorry, that was unacceptable" or something like that).

#2 When (not if) you stumble a little, regroup and move on. Don't dwell on any imperfections because they don't matter but they can be distracting.

Just remember to go missed if the approach doesn't feel right. No shame in being decisive.

<sarcastic mode on>
Also, be sure to fly as sloppy as possible, barely within PTS tolerances. That way, if you fail the ride, you won't feel so bad.
<sarcastic mode off>

If you fly really well for most of the ride and make one fatal error on the last approach, it really sucks to have the examiner tell you that you'd been flying to ATP standards up until you failed. :(

(I think I need to go fly... :yes:)

tonycondon said:
have fun. intrument checkride was pretty rewarding for me.

Me too. My reward the first time was a pretty pink slip. :( :no:

lancefisher said:
It seems most of my dumb mistakes occur either when I'm distracted or when I'm sitting there fat dumb and happy thinking everything is going too well.

Truer words were never spoken.

Steve said:
Just remember to go missed if the approach doesn't feel right. No shame in being decisive.

And remember that the examiner will try to get you flustered at some point to test your judgement. Ask for vectors or a hold or something, and don't start down that approach until you're darn good and ready to!

DPE on my ride also tried to get me to do a full procedure in a "can't-get-there-from-here" scenario - I think it was on the miss from the VOR 14 (and over the VOR) he asked for a full-procedure VOR-DME 32. There is no transition from the VOR on that approach - He commended my catching that fact within about 4 seconds of pulling the plate, as he actually thought there was one!

FWIW, here was my fatal mistake so that you don't repeat it: We'd been cleared for the approach ("Archer 62S five miles from OZMIX, turn left heading 030, maintain 2,700 until established, cleared ILS 36"). DPE failed Nav1, with the only glideslope, right about when the localizer was starting to come alive. My brain was in ILS mode, and when I got on the localizer I thought "OK, I'm established, time to come down." I was still about 1.2 outside the FAF. I had 200 feet that I could descend in which to catch the mistake before busting an altitude (min. altitude on the approach there is 2500) and I did not catch it. See "fat dumb and happy" advice above.

I'm kind of glad it happened though - I won't be making that mistake again, and it's one of the quickest ways to kill yourself on an instrument approach. DO NOT descend until you're darn sure you can.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :fcross: :yes:

Do tryptophan (sp?) from eating turkey and an IR checkride go together? Just wondering....

That mock conversation in your post made me laugh. Best wishes on the ride, Leslie.

lprellwitz said:

Thanks, Leslie

Now that right there is funny, usually the guy begging to go to the airport, :rofl:
Good Luck on the ride Leslie, I am sure you will do great!!!!
Don

Leslie, if it's any help at all, the barriers between now and Sunday are all mental. I mean, traps, like the DPE tells you inside the IAF that ATIS has changed and you complete the ILS, rather than circling to land and breaking off at CTL altitude, etc (a way that they can efficiently get in all the tasks).

Get plenty of rest and do well. Use the Force!

The best way to avoid being stressed out is to know the stuff so well you don't have to worry. That means going over your procedures (5T's and that sort of thing) over and over and over and...well, like the commercial they're running this month says, "Amateurs practice until the get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong." Consider walking through the approaches that you'll actually be flying, including visualizing every control movement and knob twist in sequence. Then do it again, and again, until you can just about do it with your eyes closed. You'd be amazed how useful that is. Yes, to an extent, that's training for the test rather than the real world, but you don't have the same stress level on a real flight, so stack the deck in your favor on the practical test.

Another thing you can do is go through the practical test oral questions, and tab your FAR/AIM with yellow stickies for all the look-up answers (like required equipment for IFR, currency and inspection requirements, etc). Do the same with the aircraft logs for all the required aircraft inspections (annual, 100-hour if applicable, altimeter/static, transponder, and ELT). Just remember that some things (like the 10 items which if seen allow you to continue below DH/MDA) can't be looked up when you need them, and must be known, not looked up, during the oral (as well as the flight).

Finally, print out the whole DUATS run for your planned flight, including all the NOTAM's. Go through and checkmark or highlight those applicable to your flight (don't forget the airway FDC's), and read them. Pencil in any changes to DP's, STAR's, or approaches at your destination or alternate.

The bottom line is that if you go in not just knowing the material, but knowing that you know the material cold, your anxiety level will be a lot lower (although nobody's is ever zero).

Hello, all. Thanks for the comments and tips. And the survey says........ to be determined. Got a discontinuance today. At least the piece of paper was white :)

Finished the oral (whew!), and got up in the air, did the radio work, holding headings, vectors etc., and did a good precision approach, despite having to deal with two contollers who were not able to quite figure out what we wanted to do, giving crazy vectors, and not responding to our radio calls part of the time. Examiner was feeling ill (bad thanksgiving dinner karma), so we called it for the day. I'm considering changing my career path to work for the FAA, so long as I can be a really nasty pain in the sides of these particular individuals for a good long time; I excel at holding grudges....

So, set aside time for next weekend, get the non-precision approaches and unusual attitudes over with, and I should be done. Just glad I got though the oral; everyone said I did fine, I left the room with my hands shaking trying to pack up my books/charts/et al... Maybe it will be better if I can just fly next time,won't get so rattled.

My instructor has promised to buy me a martini regardless of today's outcome, and I'd hate to appear socially crass by not accepting the invitation, so off I go. As Scarlett O'Hara would say, "I'll think about it tomorrow."

Thanks again, Leslie

lprellwitz said:
Hello, all. Thanks for the comments and tips. And the survey says........ to be determined. Got a discontinuance today. At least the piece of paper was white :)

Finished the oral (whew!), and got up in the air, did the radio work, holding headings, vectors etc., and did a good precision approach, despite having to deal with two contollers who were not able to quite figure out what we wanted to do, giving crazy vectors, and not responding to our radio calls part of the time. Examiner was feeling ill (bad thanksgiving dinner karma), so we called it for the day. I'm considering changing my career path to work for the FAA, so long as I can be a really nasty pain in the sides of these particular individuals for a good long time; I excel at holding grudges....

So, set aside time for next weekend, get the non-precision approaches and unusual attitudes over with, and I should be done. Just glad I got though the oral; everyone said I did fine, I left the room with my hands shaking trying to pack up my books/charts/et al... Maybe it will be better if I can just fly next time,won't get so rattled.

My instructor has promised to buy me a martini regardless of today's outcome, and I'd hate to appear socially crass by not accepting the invitation, so off I go. As Scarlett O'Hara would say, "I'll think about it tomorrow."

Thanks again, Leslie
Get ready for a partial panel failiure inside the IAF on a VOR approach, and a partial panel missed, followed by a circle to land from whichever approach you have not yet performed. The unusual attitudes- you'll ace- look at the ASI, adjust power appropriately, and the TC and arrest the turn. :)

Did you go to ARR or did he try to do it in closer?

bbchien said:
Did you go to ARR or did he try to do it in closer?
Sexist! Her examiner Is a she!:yes: Concidentally, also named Leslie! They did it at DPA, a little closer, bt not by much. I'm expecting them to do it at LOT next weekend.

bbchien said:
Get ready for a partial panel failiure inside the IAF on a VOR approach, and a partial panel missed, followed by a circle to land from whichever approach you have not yet performed.

Yep, that's what's left. Bummer of it is, to get back home, I actually did the GPS approach coupled with the autopilot. The appoach sets you up for a straight in for 36, and winds were fom the south, so we did a circle to land on 18. Worked great, could have knocked off a number of tasks with that one! except, it was after we called the discontinuance, so I don't think it counted. Some practice for next Sunday, I suppose.

Leslie,
Hang in there, I'm hoping to buy you a great BIG celebratory martini next time I see you ..... you'll do JUST FINE during part 2 of your ride, I know you are already well prepared. Sending good 99s karma your way,
Elizabeth

Leslie:

As one of the nicest folks I have met, I am pulling for you that extra bit. You and Grant are an aviation dream come true. Go git 'em!

/s/ Spike

update: went up again today, got through autopilot-coupled GPS approach, but walked away with a pink slip :( Stress got to me in tracking to a VOR, and in trying to factor for wind correction on a hold, forgot that she'd given me an amended clearance to remain in the hold rather than proceed with the approach after the hold/procedure turn.

Thing that stinks is, I've never had trouble with these tasks before. Not ATP perfect, but certainly not of the caliber I had today. Think the only thing that's come of this is increased confidence in crosswind landings, which seems to be all I get lately coming back in to the home airport these days - after the stress with the examiner and demonic controllers, that just seems like cake!

My instructor days I'm literally one approach away from getting this done, but that one approach seems like a long ways off right now; mostly feeling tired and beat down.

But, work beckons (two large resentations to give Tuesday,not real close to being done; guess who'll be up all night pulling this off?), so I've gotta focus on that if I hope to support my flying habit, even if I am VFR-only for yet another week.....

Hope to have something more positive to report next time.

Leslie

Nerves, Leslie, and nothing but.

And next time (do it quick), you'll have it nailed, and you'll be telling us, and it'll be high-fives all around.

A coupled approach on a check-ride; wow. Plane I flew for my IR ride had nothing to which to couple, except for me.

It's in between your ears, Leslie. Do't let it fake you out. You've done it well 100 times. Get rested, you'll be ahead of the game. :)

Leslie, it sounds like you have a full plate right now, with stress being a common theme in your comments.

My instructor days I'm literally one approach away from getting this done, but that one approach seems like a long ways off right now; mostly feeling tired and beat down.

Chin up Leslie. You WILL be able to do this. We’re rooting for you. :yes:

Thanks to everyone for your replies - it really helps to hear from friendly folks.

Back on the schedule for next Sunday; one more time...

Leslie

Thanks to everyone for your replies - it really helps to hear from friendly folks.

Back on the schedule for next Sunday; one more time...

Leslie

And baring equipment failure, no doubt the last time as I'm certain you will succeed this time. I would recommend you (with a little help from hubby) manage to relax for at least a day before Sunday.

update: went up again today, got through autopilot-coupled GPS approach, but walked away with a pink slip :( Stress got to me in tracking to a VOR, and in trying to factor for wind correction on a hold, forgot that she'd given me an amended clearance to remain in the hold rather than proceed with the approach after the hold/procedure turn.

Leslie,

Welcome to the club... That is the "I pink-slipped my first instrument ride" club. I thought NOBODY pink-slipped an instrument ride and I was about to give up on flying IFR, ever... Then, I found out that a rather large number of good pilots who I really respect had failed their first instrument rides too. So, I hopped back on the horse, uh, airplane, shot an approach, got signed off again, flew an approach with the DPE the next day, and all was OK with the world again.

Shake it off, take a flight with your CFII, breathe, maybe even take a solo VFR flight just to bond with the airplane again, remember items 1,3,5,7,9... from Ron's checkride advice, and knock off that one last approach. You'll be rated very soon. :yes:

Most important thing to take away: What did you learn from the experience?

Leslie, while I've never flown with you, I've met you in person. You have the right atitude, and that goes a LOONG way from what I've seen.

You'll ace it for sure. You already know what you did wrong, so now you'll be expecting it! You're gonna nail it. Good luck and God Speed.

Leslie, you obviously possess the required knowledge but consider this: you have just received an extension for your IR training. In the world of instrument flying, there is no such thing as receiving too much training.

BTW: I'm a card carrying member of the club mentioned of by Kent.

So, today was the day....

'bout danged time.

Traded in my nice, neat Private Pilot license in for a piece of WHITE paper today!!!!

Got the Instrument Rating shortly before noon.:D :D :D

Still have to look at it every 30 minutes or so, just to make sure the name doesn't disappear or something. A lot of work went into that little square.

Only tough part was at the end of the ride. Landed, taxiing back, FBO instructed me to place the plane back in its tie-down spot; no room on the ramp in front of the FBO. I taxi back, shut down, and now it's time to push the plane back into it's place. the tie-down spots are something like driveways; individually paved spaces coming off of a 'street'. get some assistance from the DE in pushing the plane back, but it's tough to see exacltly where you're going.... We get into the space, but one of the mains is squarely off of the paved area, and in deep mud!:eek:

It was time for lesson changes, so I got assistance from one set of flyers in pushing the plane out of the mud and getting squarely on the paved space, then the line guy and Grant stopped by to help get the mud off the wheel. There wasn't a hose hooked up real close, so it's all about scraping, and that dirt is pretty much clay out there.

I go back into the FBO to finish things up with the DE; Grant continued to work on the mud . After we were done, I talked to my instructor about how glad I was that there wasn't a 'push the aiplane back into its tiedown spot' task on the PTS :) She said, "well there is something about securing the aircraft.." I said, "In that clay, it IS secure; took three of us to push it forward!"

Tired, but really happy..... Thanks to everyone for your encouragement!

Leslie

Ka-ching!

Well done. I took my pink slip hard. I had never even failed as much as pop quiz before that.

Ka-ching!

Well done. I took my pink slip hard. I had never even failed as much as pop quiz before that.
Now that she's got it, I can come out of the closet and say that she took it hard too. I knew she could do it, but I dreaded life with her if by some fluke she pink-slipped it again:hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

She's a bit of an overachiever (and this is a bit of an understatement:yes: ). But Dec 17 is a nice historic day for her to get the ticket.

:yes:

You go, girl,.... into the clouds!

Congratulations!

We all knew you could do it!

Yay Leslie!!!!! We knew you could do it!!! This is quite an accomplishment. :yes:

So, today was the day....

'bout danged time.
Tired, but really happy..... Thanks to everyone for your encouragement!

Leslie
See, they couldn't keep you away. Well Done! Not only have you accomplished something that less than 0.1% of the population has accomplished, but IR moves you into that select 0.05% club.

Teee heee heee hee :goofy:

Leslie passed, making today a great day!

Thanks for sharing, when you tell, you teach, too.

Back