OK, time to play...

Is it a type-specific thing Bill?
They don't say why it needs a new prop...hmmm
Is your battery held down with metal screw clamps like that?
Minor mods is always scary.

wsuffa said:
what's wrong with this airplane?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63677&item=4559669686&rd=1#mainImage

Take a look and see what a careful buyer might want to check out before purchase...
Runout Engine. ($30,000)
Old Avionics. The Collins are OK but the xponder ADF and ? is that a DME and autopilot need replcement. ($20,000)
Pretty Ratty interior. ($3,500 in Iowa)
If top of the price for this modesl is $100,000, It's worth about 50,000, provided nothing else is discovered....

Let'sgoflying! said:
Is your battery held down with metal screw clamps like that?

That's one. And I think the battery is not exactly aviation approved, nor is it in a battery box.

What else?

bbchien said:
Runout Engine. ($30,000)
Old Avionics. The Collins are OK but the xponder ADF and ? is that a DME and autopilot need replcement. ($20,000)
Pretty Ratty interior. ($3,500 in Iowa)
If top of the price for this modesl is $100,000, It's worth about 50,000, provided nothing else is discovered....

I agree. Those go to the price-value equation. Top price for a nice early 114 w/low time engine is in the $150K - $175K range.

There's more...

Here are some other things that a savvy buyer would check out:

Are the N-numbers legal? Has the plane been repainted?
Were the steps removed legally?
How about the rest of the speed-mods?
Was the three-blade prop put on legally? (note the extra spinner is a two-blade)
And look at the leading edge at the wing root. That's not original....
I also don't see any exhaust pipes anywhere. I don't know of any mod that eliminates the exhaust....
And I wonder about the two oil access doors in the top cowling.

Yes, some of that is type specific... bargains hard to find on Ebay...

Value after cleaning up the stuff Bruce mentioned plus checking out the rest of this, you're probably looking at putting $60-$70K into the plane, making it worth maybe $70-80K at this point.

Bruce and Bill say it so well. I did see in the ad that "Most Minor ADs Completed 10 Years"s ago. Humm I wonder where the major AD's are? I wonder where the rest of the minor within 10 year AD's are? Humm. Maybe a bid for "lets see". Yikes it does have some of that "home brew mods" A lot to think about.

John J

Bill,

That cowl bugs me too. At first, it seemed like the openings around the prop are smaller than stock 112/114A, and I think they might be. I know they're smaller on the 114B. Then, I also see it's missing the big gaping holes on the side of the cowl. (comparison pics attached) Looking closer, I see a NACA-style intake on the pilot's side and nothing on the passenger side. I can't believe that cowl's legal!

And what the heck is reinforcing the wheel wells? :dunno:

John, the Commander has, what, maybe 3 AD's against the airframe from about 10-15 years ago, and I don't think anybody would consider those minor. However, any legal-flying plane in the fleet oughta have them done a long time ago...

-Rich

rpadula said:
Bill,

That cowl bugs me too. At first, it seemed like the openings around the prop are smaller than stock 112/114A, and I think they might be. I know they're smaller on the 114B. Then, I also see it's missing the big gaping holes on the side of the cowl. (comparison pics attached) Looking closer, I see a NACA-style intake on the pilot's side and nothing on the passenger side. I can't believe that cowl's legal!

And what the heck is reinforcing the wheel wells? :dunno:

John, the Commander has, what, maybe 3 AD's against the airframe from about 10-15 years ago, and I don't think anybody would consider those minor. However, any legal-flying plane in the fleet oughta have them done a long time ago...

-Rich

Rich

Thanks for the comparison. Wow that cowl sort of looks "Home Brew' I do remember the ADs on the airframe some years ago. I know that the Commander is slower then most planes of it's class but they have that great room inside. I looked at them but could not find a 114 in good shape at the time.

John J

Back