OK Motorcycle Gurus

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I cave....I decided to start wearing boots while riding, but they won't fit under the gear shift. I mentioned this once before and was told that I could very easily adjust the gearshift....

I see no way to do this. Any tips? I see no bolts anywhere around it to let me adjust it.

1983 Honda CX650C

And yes, I'm gonna ask on the CX/GL Forums too.

There should be a clamping bolt where the gearshift attachs to the gear shaft coming out of the transmission. Or you could buy an after market heel-toe shifter like on the Harleys.

Both good thoughts. However, if the boots really do interfere with your ability to shift the bike, they are interfering with your safety, and might not be a good thing after all.

I have not had trouble shifting on three different bikes (CB750, Gl1100, and 954rr) with two different pairs of boots (one is a Tourmaster something and the other I know less) so I am genuinely wondering if it isn't the particular boots you are wearing. You might try another brand, easier to buy boots than change the bike. Good luck.

Put away the Ace Freeley boots and just get some normal sized ones!

Both good thoughts. However, if the boots really do interfere with your ability to shift the bike, they are interfering with your safety, and might not be a good thing after all.

I have not had trouble shifting on three different bikes (CB750, Gl1100, and 954rr) with two different pairs of boots (one is a Tourmaster something and the other I know less) so I am genuinely wondering if it isn't the particular boots you are wearing. You might try another brand, easier to buy boots than change the bike. Good luck.

The problem is that the PO appears to have adjusted the shifter WAY down, so much that even in normal shoes I have a hard time getting underneath it sometimes. But thanks though, I'm new to this thing, and I want to make sure I'm being as safe as possible!

The shift lever where it attaches to the shaft coming out of the transmission should look a lot like the attached picture.

Remove the bolt completely (the shift lever will not come off unless the bolt is completely removed - when you take it apart it'll make perfect sense) then slide the shifter off. Adjust and reinstall as desired. Put bolt back in. Done.

Mine can go through about 90 degrees of travel before bumping into anything.

Attachments

• IM008259.JPG
    IM008259.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 33
The shift lever where it attaches to the shaft coming out of the transmission should look a lot like the attached picture.

Remove the bolt completely (the shift lever will not come off unless the bolt is completely removed - when you take it apart it'll make perfect sense) then slide the shifter off. Adjust and reinstall as desired. Put bolt back in. Done.

Mine can go through about 90 degrees of travel before bumping into anything.

I go on break in about 30 mins and I'll look, but I'm pretty sure that my shifter is TOTALLY different from that. I'll take a pic and post it when I get outside.

I go on break in about 30 mins and I'll look, but I'm pretty sure that my shifter is TOTALLY different from that. I'll take a pic and post it when I get outside.

Does it look like this?
attachment.php

If so the bolt you need to remove is reference number 16

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-motorcycle-cx650c-custom-1983/o/m2299

Attachments

• H01630094.gif
    H01630094.gif
    23 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
cx650shift.gif

Nick--Part #1 is your gear shift lever. If you loosen up part number 16 you will be able to slide it off and reposition it on the spline.

I actually got the same info in a PM from Bruce, but it appears to be totally different from the fiche. I could not get away for a break there because things got insane. I will get outside as soon as I get a chance to get a picture.

or is it like this Part 8 is the clutch shifter.

H01630015.gif

8:
SHAFT, CLUTCH LEVER

60276-001 9:
SPRING, CLUTCH LEVER
,A AC
60283-001

or is it like this Part 8 is the clutch shifter.
The clutch lever is not the same as the shift lever...The clutch lever most likely has a cable hooked up to it which runs to the handlebars. I'm not sure if they put hydraulic clutch lines on bikes that old.

They did, but if yours had one you'd have a reservoir on the handlebar. I googled a few images but can't tell.

They did, but if yours had one you'd have a reservoir on the handlebar. I googled a few images but can't tell.
My '85 Nighthawk did..but I know few did around that time frame. No idea about his.

My '85 Nighthawk did..but I know few did around that time frame. No idea about his.

Mine has no hydraulic box on the clutch, but does has a brake resevoir on the brake side. I'm pretty sure its not a hydraulic clutch. Still haven't gotten a chance to go outside...its killing me.

No worries, you'll get it. To be honest, if it is at all difficult to shift in normal shoes then it is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. Sorry I can't be more help, I never had a CX650 and don't know the breed.

I would suggest purchasing a shop manual for the bike, I find repairs and maintenance are far easier when I have a book to go by. In fact, I myself still need to get one for my Goldwing.

I'd jump in and give you a definitive answer, but my last bike was a 1969 Honda CL-175. And if that's what you have, you've still been given the right answer. :yes: Pull the bolt that tightens the shifter to the shift shaft, pull the lever, realign and tighten the bolt. If you bike isn't like the illustrations, well, reset to zero and start over. :D

Sure enough - I looked, and it is as pictured - just the nut. I don't see how it can possibly adjust, but I'll try and see how it works! Thanks guys!

Nick from the Parts Fiche it looks like the shifter is splined. you'll have to pull the lever off completely to adjust it.

Pete

P.S. if it won't go in gear after adjusting, don't force it. Don't ask how i found out that the Beemer shift lever costs around $60 shipped....:rolleyes:

Loosen the bolt, slide the shifter straight off the shaft, rotate it a few degrees and slide it back on. Try shifting it before re-tightening it to ensure your boot will fit. If all is well, re tighten the bolt.

Hey! If you can't figure it out I've got an extra tow bar from a Cherokee.
Just carry it with you and use it to pull up or push down as you shift. You just take your hand off the throttle reach across to the left side and , well,kinda like flying cross controls.Just don't do it in a turn.:no:Tie a rope on it so you don't drop it.
It's about as easy as putting up a brand spanking new tent!! In the dark!

Tow bar $59.95
Shipping $9.95
Look on the cop's face as he watch's you go through the gears speed shifting
PRICELESS:hairraise:

A friend of mine, who was paralyzed from the waist down in an earlier motorcycle accident, modified a Honda 750 by adding a solenoid gizmo so that when he wanted to shift he pulled in the clutch and hit the toggle switch with his thumb, one way for 'up' shift and the other for 'down' shift. He drove this bike from Toronto to Key West many times.

For those of you curious, he had a side car added so there was no need to put his foot down when he stopped. On the opposite side from the side car he had removed the saddle bag and added an attachment for his collapsable wheelchair.

Man, the looks we got when he pulled into the handicap parking spot, detached his wheel chair and wheeled away! Interesting side note - you can't get a handicapped license plate for a motorcycle! He was constantly going to court to fight "illegal parking" tickets.

Since its an older bike, is the lever bent at all? Just curious. I am sure Nick you have it fixed by now. Just wondering why it was that tight to begin with. Someone might have "stomped like hell" on it.

I sorta figured it out. I rotated it up, so that there's more room, but if I rotated it enough to fit my boots nicely, it would not shift up above neutral. So there's more room, and I can slide my boots under the shifter from the outside in, which is not really acceptable. Back to normal shoes for a while, I guess.

I sorta figured it out. I rotated it up, so that there's more room, but if I rotated it enough to fit my boots nicely, it would not shift up above neutral. So there's more room, and I can slide my boots under the shifter from the outside in, which is not really acceptable. Back to normal shoes for a while, I guess.

What do you mean by slide them from the outside in? When I go to move my foot to the bottom I rotate my foot outside the shifter, move it down, and then rotate my foot underneath it.

Nick,

If you had a bike with the proper shifter (see below) you wouldn't have this problem.

It's the shifter of choice by those who prefer the manual E6B. :D

suicid10.jpg

What do you mean by slide them from the outside in? When I go to move my foot to the bottom I rotate my foot outside the shifter, move it down, and then rotate my foot underneath it.

oh...I guess that's normal then ;) With shoes, I can slide my foot from the peg directly forward under the shifter. Guess I'll get used to rotating my foot out then!

/me is a n00b.

Nick,

If you had a bike with the proper shifter (see below) you wouldn't have this problem.

It's the shifter of choice by those who prefer the manual E6B. :D

suicid10.jpg

That is awesome! How do you clutch? Its on the same side. lol.

oh...I guess that's normal then ;) With shoes, I can slide my foot from the peg directly forward under the shifter. Guess I'll get used to rotating my foot out then!

/me is a n00b.

It should feel more natural. Sliding my foot around would be hard as the peg sits on a certain part of my boot which doesn't allow sliding. Your foot shouldn't have to come off the peg--but rotating is all good.

Don't know why he can't get a handicap sticker for is bike. We got a guy that has one for his John Deere lawn tractor that he rides to a physical rehab clinic.
Ron

I rode several hundred miles today and looked at how I shift more closely. My natural riding position places my foot under and to the side of the shifter. When I up shift I rotate my foot in some and when I down shift I rotate to the top.

Good for you Jesse. I am going to thread creep here but I got in 320 miles in yesterday. I cheat and have a heal toe shifter, but we (friend) and I switched bikes and he just has a toe shifter. I found my foot cocked to the left under the shifter most of the time.

Now off to LAS for four days.

I used to want a Ducati, then one of the new Triumphs, then a Suzuki v-twin sport bike. Now I want this:

Attachments

• 961_01.jpg
    961_01.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 10
I test drove a 2005 1400CC Boulevard the other day. That made me very excited....gets about the same gas mileage as my 1983 Honda CX650. Ain't technology grand?

I actually found a decent way to shift: I leave my foot rotated outwards, and shift up with the edge of my foot, and rotate it up and on top to stomp (not literally) down to shift down. Good stuff, and actually more comfortable than the way I was previously doing it.

I actually found a decent way to shift: I leave my foot rotated outwards, and shift up with the edge of my foot, and rotate it up and on top to stomp (not literally) down to shift down. Good stuff, and actually more comfortable than the way I was previously doing it.
Sounds like the way I do it.

Back