OK guys -- help us site our next aviation-themed hotel and win a free night!

1. Sunbelt. No more winter.

2. Must be near (within a golf cart ride) to a good-sized GA (preferably uncontrolled) airport.

3. Must have *some* other draw besides aviation and/or the airport, be it (a) the ocean, (b) a major theme park, (c) a major university.

4. Existing hotel/motel must be larger than 20 units, smaller than 50, so we can maintain our unique "delivered-to-the-suite" breakfast service. We have no interest in creating another McHotel chain.

Okay -- so anyone know of a hotel/motel in their market that meets these parameters? It doesn't have to be in top-notch physical condition -- we actually favor sweat-equity projects. The best suggestion gets a free night at our hotel!

Thanks!
OK I'm going to put this one out there. I have never been there but I've flown over it and know someone who loves the area.

Lake Texoma

And it even has an airport.

Its not a coastal area, but why don't you try and buy Gaston's, I think it is time for a new owner.:yesnod:

I know you're kidding -- but I really like Gastons. It's not what we're about, though...

The airport is on the old state park resort/lodge property. The state closed the lodge several years ago and has been trying to attract a private developer to take over and rebuild. I don't think that is consistent with Jay's business plan, and having lived there during college I don't think it's all that great an opportunity. Cedar Mills, however, is a neat spot on the other end of the lake, with some rental cabins along the grass runway. I would look elsewhere.

OK I'm going to put this one out there. I have never been there but I've flown over it and know someone who loves the area.

Lake Texoma

I haven't followed the thread, but assume you've looked at the Fredericksburg, TX facility. The hill country might be a good place to explore.

The Hangar Hotel is a terrific facility, but it's a perfect example of what you do not want to do with an aviation themed hotel. It is too far from town to draw non-pilots, and it therefore must survive almost solely on GA business. This has not been successful for them (nor can it ever be) and they are now (as of 2008, anyway) mostly closed Sunday - Thursday. (The hotel is technically open, but the restaurant and bar are not. There is no other food nearby, which makes flying in problematic.)

A hotel needs multiple revenue streams -- you can not rely solely on one group for survival.

Isn't is pitiful that an American has to look at an Indian magazine for real estate in the US. We gave those offshore non residents a real sweetheart deal, they amased most of the hotel/motel market using huge tax credits in their favor and now they want to sell it back to us .... Only in the USA.....:frown2::frown2::nonod:

I have nothing but admiration for the Indian families (the Patels, primarily) who have essentially taken over the hospitality industry in America. They have done this by helping each other, much the way the Jews, Italians, and Germans did it before them.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they often view owning a hotel solely as a means to an end -- basically, they want their kids to be doctors and lawyers. Because of this attitude, the experience in their facilities can be something less than stellar, since they're not really "into" doing it.

As a result, independent hotels can tend to be painted with a broad brush, not always positively, by the general public. This can be a hard preconception to overcome.

Lake Texoma

The airport is on the old state park resort/lodge property. The state closed the lodge several years ago and has been trying to attract a private developer to take over and rebuild. I don't think that is consistent with Jay's business plan, and having lived there during college I don't think it's all that great an opportunity. Cedar Mills, however, is a neat spot on the other end of the lake, with some rental cabins along the grass runway. I would look elsewhere.

The state of Oklahoma has closed on the sale of the lodge and golf course (essentially, the entire state park) to private developers, so that they can build condos and retail. Lots of controversy around it, but I have no idea what will happen now to the airport- have heard it is doomed. Sad deal, as we used to love to fly there for playing at the play-park adjacent to the airport, bumper boats, minigolf, batting cages, etc. The whole thing is pretty crooked, from what I read, but the lodge (which is walking distance from the airstrip) had fallen into pretty marginal shape. It could have been made nice again...

The Hangar Hotel is a terrific facility, but it's a perfect example of what you do not want to do with an aviation themed hotel. It is too far from town to draw non-pilots, and it therefore must survive almost solely on GA business. This has not been successful for them (nor can it ever be) and they are now (as of 2008, anyway) mostly closed Sunday - Thursday. (The hotel is technically open, but the restaurant and bar are not. There is no other food nearby, which makes flying in problematic.)

A hotel needs multiple revenue streams -- you can not rely solely on one group for survival.

Jay, I think the Hangar Hotel folks have been doing a little better- they have pretty well-appointed convention and meeting space, and I often see it booked for use by ground-bound visitors. As frequently as I see the parking lot full of cars, they are doing something right.

Also, food options nearby are not entirely absent; the Cotton Gin is close by, good food there, and Hilda's (the tortilla and tamale stand down the road a bit) has expanded into a very nice restaurant, with most very excellent food.

Jay, I think the Hangar Hotel folks have been doing a little better- they have pretty well-appointed convention and meeting space, and I often see it booked for use by ground-bound visitors. As frequently as I see the parking lot full of cars, they are doing something right.

Also, food options nearby are not entirely absent; the Cotton Gin is close by, good food there, and Hilda's (the tortilla and tamale stand down the road a bit) has expanded into a very nice restaurant, with most very excellent food.

That's great to hear. We flew down there last summer with extremely high hopes -- after all, they had created new from scratch what we had struggled to make by utilizing an existing facility -- and were stunned to find ourselves literally the only guests in the hotel.

I felt terrible for them, because I know what it costs just to keep the doors open. By my estimation they were losing $2 - $3K per day while we were there -- maybe way more, depending on what they owe on the property. That is unsustainable, of course.

The "pilots lounge" bar and restaurant was closed due to a lack of business. Thank God we were able to snag the last rental car at the FBO as they were closing for the night, or we would have starved to death. There were no restaurants within walking distance. (The city, with many excellent restaurants, is ~3 miles away.)

Strangely, in the 48 hours we spent in Fredericksburg we saw precisely one airplane do a touch & go, which was depressing given the gorgeous VFR summer weather. This must've been a fluke -- we've seen lots of GA in Texas on subsequent trips -- but it sure was disappointing at the time.

I'm glad to hear that they may be turning things around, because they have a great idea and an absolutely beautiful facility. As I said, a hotel needs multiple revenue streams to survive, and it sounds like they've lined up some convention and wedding business to help offset the decline in GA.

Yeah, we've looked at the Keys some thanks for the tips.

Jay, just so you know, Cedar Key is up on the Gulf coast west of Ocala, nowhere near the Florida Keys. It's a really cool little place.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCDK

Lance Flynn flew down there last year in his Mooney I believe. Maybe he'll chime in. I flew there a few times in the '90's when I lived in Tampa.

One thing we're hoping for is lots of VFR weather, too. Weekend getaway flyers are, by and large, fair-weather flyers. Mountains can be tricky, for that, no?

If what you want is lots of VFR weather, I presume you have considered (and discarded) California?

Chris

If what you want is lots of VFR weather, I presume you have considered (and discarded) California?

Chris

He's looking for a warm weather destination! :D

Joking aside, I remember when my wife and I moved to Southern CA, we thought it was warm there... and it is.

About ten days a year.

Joking aside, I remember when my wife and I moved to Southern CA, we thought it was warm there... and it is.

About ten days a year.
Yeah, but you're from Texas where 90 is considered only "warm".

Mari:

They have to wear wetsuits to go in the ocean.

In the summer.

Brrr!

Mari:

They have to wear wetsuits to go in the ocean.

In the summer.

Brrr!
LOL, now you are talking about the water which is indeed chilly. But I prefer the climate of coastal California to Texas any day. If you want "warmer" you just need to go inland a few miles.

LOL, now you are talking about the water which is indeed chilly. But I prefer the climate of coastal California to Texas any day. If you want "warmer" you just need to go inland a few miles.

Vey.

"Inland a few miles" is three hours of bumper-to-bumper traffic, and then you're in the smog-encrusted desert.

Joking aside, there was much to like about living in CA, but when we moved back to Texas, we stopped at the border at El Paso and kissed the ground.

Joking aside, there was much to like about living in CA, but when we moved back to Texas, we stopped at the border at El Paso and kissed the ground.

As well you should... Nothing beats living in this great state!

Chris

No, California would be fine. It's just a bit far away from our home base -- and, of course, it's a very, very expensive to live and do business.

Why, whuddya got in mind?

:smile:

Well, I just got back from Galveston, but unfortunately I did not get a chance to head over to the airport. I can tell you, though, that the tourism is definitely bouncing back down there. We stayed at a La Quinta inn last night and when we came back from bar-hopping at 2:30a there was a sign on the door that said they were sold out. So, people are coming in.

There is still a lot of damage evident on the island. There are a few shops and restaurants on The Strand and in that vicinity that have not yet re-opened. The good news is that most already have, and most of the ones that have not are being worked on. Taxi cabs are very affordable on the island, and if you were to offer shuttle service between your hotel and the cruise ship terminal (which is right next to The Strand), that could be a great marketing opportunity for you. The airport is also pretty close to the seawall, which is where most of the beaches are that people like going to.

So, based on what I've seen, I think you could tap into a really good market by getting into Galveston now or in the near future.

I am not sure, but the Owyhee Hilton Hotel might be for sale. Oh! but it is kind of small and the weather issue, too. I guess it might not be what you are looking for. Bob

Attachments

• P1000359.JPG
    P1000359.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
Port A, on Mustang Island, is where we were looking to buy. Still am, if we can find the right property -- we fell in love with the island, the airport, and the people.

I wish you luck on your coastal endeavors, Jay... I've personally not been to Port A but have heard good things from down there..

As a Houston "native" and closer to Galveston than Houston, I have to say Galveston is not a bad alternative from a big picture standpoint. The Strand historical district is bouncing back after Ike, and the Island bills itself as a family friendly environment for spring break and summer.

As PJ said, Galveston is former military, Mile long runways, Air Museum on field, a Schlitterbahn water park franchise is also on the former airport proper, and it is billed as year round - has retractable roof for cold/bad weather. Moody Gardens is adjacent to the field, and also on the former mil field footprint, they have parking on a portion of the old East-West Runway. Moody gardens has year round indoor attractions. There is Mardi Gras in Feb. There is the Lone Star Motorcycle Rally in the fall, which is fairly young, but is bested in size only by Sturgis, Daytona and Austin rallies. Both of those events fill the hotels, and both crowds spend money. Springtime has lots of prom kids and spring breakers, and it stays seasonable enough that the summer season lasts from spring break til October. County lifeguards (ocean trained, part of the Sheriff's Dept) on seawall beaches from about 1st street to about 53'rd street

Uncertain if there is anything already built that falls into your desired property preference, but I will pay attention next time I drive by there. Drawbacks... the island demographics aren't the best. Most of the population east of the airport is lower socioeconomic status, many pockets of public housing, and many of the structures are over 50 years old wooden affairs, some known as shotgun shacks. Once you are off seawall, broadway or The Strand, there really isn't much to look at and some of it can be scary in the daylight, let alone night. Out west of the airport (and end of the seawall) is where most of the islands money resides but even that is a relative term.

Now, if I had to pick a place to put my money, based on places I've been and like to go... I'd be picking something in New Braunsfels, Texas.

BIG summer business centered around tubing/rafting the Guadelupe. Decent sized govt run airfield just east of town. 5 mins from old town Gruene (tourist trap with old town feel, AMAZING restaurant -Grist Mill) and the beginning of River Road and its outfitters. In New B proper is the original schlitterbahn water park, its ginormous, and uses spring water rather than chlorinated water. Also is a spring fed river that people go tubing on as well through town. Its about 20-25 miles north of San Antonio, and the world famous riverwalk and on the other side of San Antonio is Fiesta Texas and Sea World.

I cannot comment about off season, and that may be the Achilles Heel of this whole idea.... I know you have to plan business based on year round income. BUT.. last time I stayed in a hotel room in New B.. I paid 80 bucks for motel 6 for one night. The market supports those kind of prices.

20-30 miles up the road is San Marcos, with "Texas State University" (formerly Southwest Texas State, before they rebranded away from the party school rep). Not NCAA I football, but Austin up the road less than 1 hr has the Longhorns, and Austin is NOT GA friendly so you might even pull some of the UT alums coming for games.

I know College Station/ Texas A&M (their arch rivals in Texas) gets saturated with Aggies coming to watch the games, and they park HUNDREDS of planes on one of the runways there for the game crowd. No idea if Austin has that kind of pull.

IF you decide to build or buy a hotel on the coast, my honest recommendation to you is to also branch out in to beach houses. Buy up a handful of varying properties that are several rows back from the vegetation line (in anticipation of future storms). Many of the beach houses are set up to bunk large quantities of people.. up to 10-15 or more in a 4 bedroom house for family or group get-togethers.. and the going rates tend to be substantial for weekend or weeklong rentals. One month during the summer season will cover the overhead for most of the year. 2 months will make it profitible. And they rent year round. So IF Port A goes through for you, consider getting a few beach properties, and have your housekeeping and maintenance guy for the hotel cover those as well. Rental beach houses typically are marketed as furnished, but you bring your own linens and towels. Its something I have genuinely considered getting into in the next few years.

House rentals in the Canyon Lake/New Braunsfels area are also pretty popular but mostly during the summer season. Many of the riverfront house rental properties have clients/families who return year after year after year, and I've seen "logbooks" in one house where the same groups of families leave little scribbles for over 20 years.. Same furnishing rules apply.

I wish you luck, Jay, and hope you find something that will meet your needs and fill a market niche. Im happy to see how business is turning out for you, and remember the days you first considered getting out of the paper business and getting into the hotel business. My how time flies.

We've been to Ocracoke Island, and really enjoyed it -- but there simply isn't enough traffic to make it work. It's just a bit too far north, or it would be perfect!

If you think the Outer Banks is a possibility, try Manteo. A fairly quick hop over to Nags Head and the beach, and other stuff on the island. I have certainly enjoyed my stays there. Decent GA airport, too, but a pretty good distance from commercial airport.

Further north is Williamsburg, with its draw being history and nearby Busch Gardens. May be a bit further north than you want, but certainly less winter extremes than Iowa.

Hilton Head, Savannah, and Myrtle Beach are all great draws (golf, beach, etc). And further south from the Outer Banks.

I'm also partial to Palm Springs. Yes, there are plenty of resorts there. But the GA airport is convenient and pretty well trafficed. It's not too far from LA or Las Vegas.... Phoenix and San Francisco are within a days reach.

Santa Fe & Sedona are worth the trip, too. A little pricier, but LOTS of stuff to do.

Back