OK Dorks - lets see you take this one!

Nick.

I hate you, I really, really hate you. These things consume so much of my time.

Great - "I won't misspell anything" followed by a page with misspellings. How quaint. of course I' stuck on that page.

edit #2 Nevermind. LOL

Last edited:
N2212R said:
Nick.

I hate you, I really, really hate you. These things consume so much of my time.

Great - "I won't misspell anything" followed by a page with misspellings. How quaint. of course I' stuck on that page.

edit #2 Nevermind. LOL

I haven't figured out the FIRST page yet (I presume I'm supposed to figure out a directory name to append to the URL, yes?).

NEVER MIND! Just figured out step 1. Ingenious.

Is it cheating to write a perl script to brute force it ? ;)

jangell said:
Is it cheating to write a perl script to brute force it ? ;)

Yeah, since you have to explain to him how you arrived at your answers. Plus, since there are no "links" to follow, even a web crawling robot couldn't figure out the tree for you (I tried Google; it knows nothing of anything past the first page).

How many steps are there? Somebody said they are on the last step. I'm on step 5 and would like to know how many there are to go!

Troy Whistman said:
Yeah, since you have to explain to him how you arrived at your answers. Plus, since there are no "links" to follow, even a web crawling robot couldn't figure out the tree for you (I tried Google; it knows nothing of anything past the first page).

How many steps are there? Somebody said they are on the last step. I'm on step 5 and would like to know how many there are to go!
'

Nah here is what I'm thinking.

I could easily write a script that would first try every dictionary word, followed by every combination of every letter and number. If it returned the 404 error it would try again, If it returned something other then the 404 error it would save it.

I could explain to him how I did it..
He never said you couldn't brute force it.. But then again I'm sure he'd be an unhappy camper if I crashed his web server trying.

I too am on step five.... "quake" and "model" and "cryptic" are the keywords that I am picking up. Not coming up with anything tho.

SkyHog said:
http://www.relpats-eht.com

Fun puzzle. A few of us from another forum are on the last step. Its quite hard, but good for dorks (like me)

BTW:
I've been wondering what the defined difference between a dork, a geek and a nerd is... ?

I use only SuperNerds for my computer/website needs and I know they are good.

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
BTW: I've been wondering what the defined difference between a dork, a geek and a nerd is... ?

"Defined" via Merriam Webster (www.m-w.com). Who knew Dr. Seuss was involved!?

DORK

MW.com on DORK said:
Main Entry: dork
Pronunciation: 'dork
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps alteration of dick
slang : NERD; also : JERK

GEEK

MW.com on GEEK said:
Main Entry: geek
Pronunciation: 'gEk
Etymology: probably from English dialect geek, geck fool, from Low German geck, from Middle Low German
1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disapproved of
- geeky /'gE-kE/ adjective

NERD

MW.com on NERD said:
Main Entry: nerd
Pronunciation: 'n&rd
Etymology: perhaps from nerd, a creature in the children's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950) by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)
: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>

N2212R said:
I too am on step five.... "quake" and "model" and "cryptic" are the keywords that I am picking up. Not coming up with anything tho.

If you are still stuck - that one upset me to no end!!

Its not right, and I think he made a mistake, but if you're familiar with quake models, try to think of an encryption scheme that takes a similar name.

Then, spend the next 30 minutes figuring out what to do with it.

LOL.

alright, I give up. Step 12 is impossible to figure out. Its been about 16 hours now. I'm frustrated.

Last edited:
I am on #6 now.

Trying to figure out what he wants for the url. I know what I'm looking at. (mersenne primes) but no clue what he wants.

Dave Langton said:
You have GOT to be kidding. Who has this much time when there are :blowingkisses: and :blueplane: to play with?

:goofy:

exactly.

Dave Langton said:
You have GOT to be kidding. Who has this much time when there are :blowingkisses: and :blueplane: to play with?

jangell said:

Hey - if its too hard....

I enjoy stuff like this. Kills time and makes me feel smart and stupid within very short time periods.

Dave Langton said:

As far as the :blueplane: goes, I'm pretty much Wx grounded till...oh...May. As far as the:blowingkisses: go, I would rather work on puzzles like Nick posted than waste another moment on these.. well, lets just say I can't think of enough negative adjectives to preceed the term succubi to get my point across.

N2212R said:
I am on #6 now.

Trying to figure out what he wants for the url. I know what I'm looking at. (mersenne primes) but no clue what he wants.

Ahh - but is there a pattern to the mersenne primes? oh and after that, the next few ones are pretty simple, good impetus to get ya thrown to where I am.

Sigh.

SkyHog said:
If you are still stuck - that one upset me to no end!!

Its not right, and I think he made a mistake, but if you're familiar with quake models, try to think of an encryption scheme that takes a similar name.

Then, spend the next 30 minutes figuring out what to do with it.

Nick, I don't think he made a mistake, but I think this one was TOUGH... you know what quake models led you to, and that WAS a hash algorithm years ago... the second part of it is "a bit more cryptic", emphasis on bit. Take the binary of the first answer... append a "bit" (1)... what do you get? ;-)

I'm still "stuck on being true to my rasterized words".

Didn't somebody else already say "I hate you" for this?! ;-)

Troy Whistman said:
Nick, I don't think he made a mistake, but I think this one was TOUGH... you know what quake models led you to, and that WAS a hash algorithm years ago... the second part of it is "a bit more cryptic", emphasis on bit. Take the binary of the first answer... append a "bit" (1)... what do you get? ;-)

I'm still "stuck on being true to my rasterized words".

Didn't somebody else already say "I hate you" for this?! ;-)

The rasterized one came to me quickly, but that was only because when I tried to open the clue's source, I noticed that it wasn't a webpage....'nuff said.

Don't hate me - hate that backwards stapler guy. I hate him more than words could possibly allow me to right now.

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
The rasterized one came to me quickly, but that was only because when I tried to open the clue's source, I noticed that it wasn't a webpage....'nuff said.

Don't hate me - hate that backwards stapler guy. I hate him more than words could possibly allow me to right now.

I viewed source before you even mentioned it, and I just have a standard web page... what are you referring to?? Do you have instant messaging? If you're willing to guide me, I will give you my messaging name.

Did you understand what I meant about the algorithm name and how to arrive at MD5 from MD2?

9 53 28 16 1

What?

Got that...

Oooooh....lost of hex!!!

Last edited:
Troy Whistman said:
I viewed source before you even mentioned it, and I just have a standard web page... what are you referring to?? Do you have instant messaging? If you're willing to guide me, I will give you my messaging name.

Did you understand what I meant about the algorithm name and how to arrive at MD5 from MD2?

I did - but I remembered it being .mdl, not MD2. Hmm...

Yeah - **CENSORED BY FBI** is my AIM.

N2212R said:
9 53 28 16 1

What?

Got that...

Oooooh....lost of hex!!!

I see you've reached the end. Ugh.

Last edited:
Yeah, gonna have to convert that hex to something. But to what? ASCII? Colors?

wbarnhill said:
What, did you all get tired of http://www.notpron.com?

LOL - I got halfway through that when the IT department at my work decided to block the site because it is "games or gambling."

I hate you websense. So very much.

SkyHog said:
LOL - I got halfway through that when the IT department at my work decided to block the site because it is "games or gambling."

I hate you websense. So very much.

Thus why you get friends in IT to allow your MAC address around websense ;)

Never been good with puzzles so I can't get past the first page. Hmmmm. Guess I'm not the nerd I thought I was.

silver-eagle said:
Never been good with puzzles so I can't get past the first page. Hmmmm. Guess I'm not the nerd I thought I was.

Well don't feel so bad. I'm like you. I've only been working at it now for the past hour or so.. and I STILL haven't gotten to the second page. It may take all the rest of my retirement life to do so.

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

lol. The clues are right there!! You can do it! Grab a piece of pie and work it out.

Hex has been decoded, woohoo!

The message is more mysterious than the hex.

N2212R said:
Hex has been decoded, woohoo!

The message is more mysterious than the hex.

Yeah - I decoded the hex a few days ago. I think there is more to it. I assume you did it by XORing 11 on the middle sets of numbers? I have a feeling there is something to the red channel...afterall

"Two Red Eyes."

Sigh.

Back