Oil winterization plates or not

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Joined
May 31, 2012
Messages
616
Location
Steamboat Springs, CO
Display Name
Okie182
Home Airfield
KCAG
So we leave early in the am and it's still in upper 20's here in Colorado in the morning. San Diego here we come where lows projected to be in upper 50's. So when we leave San Diego next Friday it shouldn't be much above the ambient temp limit for winterization plates of 62F.

Although we will will be flying in temps consistently well below that at altitude, would you remove the plates before you depart? This could result in PIA moment in am and slight delay but definitely don't want to risk anything.
 
Kinda depends on how well yours works and what the usual difference is on the temp gauge.
 
Kinda depends on how well yours works and what the usual difference is on the temp gauge.

Plane still new to me so not sure how well the difference would be. I called previous owner and he said aircraft never had cooling issues and the plane came from Iowa.
 
I guess my point was that each aircraft will behave differently. Ours runs a touch warm, year-round, so we never have the plate on, even in the coldest weather here in CO. It does take a bit for oil temp to come up on the coldest days we fly, but not pressure, since we use a multi-viscosity for that reason.

But knowing nearly nothing about your aircraft, oil type, behavior of oil pressure and temperature at start-up, etc etc etc... I'm not sure you're going to get much from the forum other than... "Follow the advice of the POH."

I doubt with temps in the 60s (and lower as you climb) you'd cause any harm with it... I guess that's all I can think of to say subjectively... ya know?
 
When we would fly central IL to key west I would start out with duct tape on the oil coolers. At the midway stop, rip off the duct tape. Going home northbound, stop in NE Alabama for fuel and popcorn and tape oil coolers.
 
So we leave early in the am and it's still in upper 20's here in Colorado in the morning. San Diego here we come where lows projected to be in upper 50's. So when we leave San Diego next Friday it shouldn't be much above the ambient temp limit for winterization plates of 62F.

Although we will will be flying in temps consistently well below that at altitude, would you remove the plates before you depart? This could result in PIA moment in am and slight delay but definitely don't want to risk anything.

If the temperature at departure is above the limit, I would remove the plates.
 
Back
Top