oil viscosity recommendation

The Lycoming additive and the oils with it in it, are no bueno in Continental causing issues with the starter coupler.

Things change that can make information in a three year old thread cease to be as valid or totally accurate. You Camguard promoters, most especially people who make money when Camguard is sold, will hate me and dispute me, but that is your prerogative.

In the last couple of years Lycoming developed and began selling Diamond Like Coating (DLC) cam followers. These have virtually eliminated the need for an additive to help oil cling to the high positioned lifters. They eliminate, or at least largely minimize the corrosion and cam/lifter wear concern. They were difficult to procure about a year and a half ago when I rebuilt my IO360 Lycoming, but I managed to procure a set before reassembly. I fully expect that they are readily available now.

These appear to be the magic bullet for the Lycoming cam/lifter Achilles heel.

P.S: I had a Corvair when I was sixteen years old. Based on my experience with it, the National Guard couldn’t manage to belt me into an airplane powered by a Corvair engine.
Interesting. Do the cam lobes get the coating as well? If not, what keeps them from rusting?

My engine was last overhauled almost 20 years ago, and I'd like to get another 5-10 of of it, so camguard will continue to get my money at least that long. Hopefully by then the dlc stuff will be mature and readily available.

If you use straight weight you should use AeroShell 100 (50wt). If you want to use a multiwegith oil - then use the Phillips 20w50. Apparently the aeroshell multi-weight and the phillips w100 (straight) both are semi-synthetic. Its ironic in that the the reverse of the types between aeroshell and phillips is that way - but thats what I was told from RAM.
Can you source where you find Phillips w100 straight Type A is semi synthetic?

apparently the aeroshell multi-weight and the phillips w100 (straight) both are semi-synthetic.
the communication broke down somewhere. Read Phillips website... NONE of Phillips' aviation oils contain any synthetic base oils. None.

Paul

...In the last couple of years Lycoming developed and began selling Diamond Like Coating (DLC) cam followers. These have virtually eliminated the need for an additive to help oil cling to the high positioned lifters. ...
DLC = Diamond-Like Carbon.

Got a link to Lycoming's announcement?

I thought the roller tappets were supposed to solve the cam/lifter wear/spalling problem.

Back