Oil Reading

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I've got an O-470-R. When the engine is cold and has been cold for a while the dipstick reads ~ 15 quarts which is absurd. Even after wiping the dipstick and re-checking it reads that high. After running the engine and I check it, it reads normal levels (~10 quarts). I know for a fact there are 10 quarts in the engine so why would it be reading so high when its cold? It's a taildragger (180H), but the dipstick accounts for that and it reads normal when warm.

Clogged crankcase breather? @Tom-D

Last edited:
Thinking with your dip stick can get you in trouble.

I usually add 10 qts of oil and a pint of Camguard after a filter change. If I run the oil in and check the level warm it’ll read 8 qts. If I come back later it’ll read a little over 10. How do I know which is correct? Because a long time ago I used a scribe and marked my dipstick to known quantities in the normal 3-point stance. It isn’t anywhere close to the factory markings on the dipstick.

I usually add 10 qts of oil and a pint of Camguard after a filter change. If I run the oil in and check the level warm it’ll read 8 qts. If I come back later it’ll read a little over 10. How do I know which is correct? Because a long time ago I used a scribe and marked my dipstick to known quantities in the normal 3-point stance. It isn’t anywhere close to the factory markings on the dipstick.
Good to know. I'll definitely do that next oil change. So there's nothing wrong with the engine? That was my main concern.

Edit: Being a new plane owner is like having a newborn. I feel the need to go to the doctor for every little cough :)

Establish a known oil level on your dipstick after an oil change, a run in, and a cool down. Then learn how it varies after shutdown. Most of us check oil pre-flight but you need to know what you’re seeing if you check it warm like during a fuel stop or quick turn-around. It’s just you getting to know your own plane.

Back