Oil passages diagram Lycoming O-360

PeterNSteinmetz

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
Does anyone know of a good 3D diagram of the oil flow passages in an Lycoming O-360? Showing the actual physical layout?

I have the schematic of the flow but am curious about the actual physical layout of these passages.

Nice article, thanks. Still looking for some kind of 3D diagram, especially the passages inside the crankcase.

Still looking for some kind of 3D diagram
Don't know about 3D but have seen diagrams/drawings of Lycoming crankcases that detail everything. We had some while trying to figure out an issue with a factory new case. Perhaps contact Lycoming support and inquire?

I’m curious what is trying to be determined here?

I’ve never seen a 3D diagram of the system and I suspect that if one exists it wouldn’t be offered for public consumption unless it was made by someone other than Lycoming.

I can't recall having seen a detailed diagram for a Lycoming. This one is of a Continental; the major differences being the camshaft and lifters under the crank instead of above it as in the Lycoming.

upload_2020-12-26_19-34-6.png

The valve train is oiled via the lifters. Oil is pushed through the pushrods to the rockers, and drains back through separate drain tubes to the case in the Lyc; in the Continental it runs back through the pushrod tubes.

The Lyc takes its oil pressure off the gallery in the right side of the case, not the left as shown here. Some take it off the front of the gallery, others off the rear. Both are easily found on the case. The oil is pushed up the left gallery in the Lyc from the pump and filter, travels across the front of the engine, and then down the right side. Crossdrillings through the bearing webs take it to the cam and crank bearings. The older small Continentals do that, too. This puts the pressure relief valve at the end of the run.

Last edited:
Rumor has it that one side of the case ( 1-3 vs 2-4 sides) delivers more Oil

to the Valves and Guides than the other.

Consequently one side has more Gui

I’m curious what is trying to be determined here?

I’ve never seen a 3D diagram of the system and I suspect that if one exists it wouldn’t be offered for public consumption unless it was made by someone other than Lycoming.

Primarily just curiosity.

Primarily just curiosity.

Understandable. I was just wondering if you were trying to troubleshoot a problem that some of the more familiar mechanics could help with.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time tracing the oiling system while overhauling these engines. It is pretty typical of the systems from the era in which it was designed, which has led to some of the weak points they have. What I don’t particularly care for is that most/all of the accessory drive components are oiled with unfiltered oil and the oil cooler is also before the oil filter, thus making it somewhat of a filter as well.

Back