Oil on windshield

By the way, he’s pretty nervous and the recording shows pretty well how you can be affected by the adrenaline dump. Ha.

Great job by both the pilot and the controller,cool heads prevailed

"Great job! I'm buying you a beer tonight"
Pilot "Heh I could sure use it........ I'm only 20 years old though"
:D:D:D:D:D
Well done by all involved.

I got a chuckle out of “What do I do now?” from the kid after he got it stopped.

“You can just shut down there on the runway...”

:) :) :)

Probably used to having to get-off-right-now-there’s-someone-landing-behind-you at a busy training place like Daytona.

Heh.

Kudos to all involved.
Inspirational.

Pretty cool to hear others in the tower getting involved to help as well. Another thing that is crazy is after that, the same controller just keeps right on directing other traffic. Amazing

Pretty cool to hear others in the tower getting involved to help as well. Another thing that is crazy is after that, the same controller just keeps right on directing other traffic. Amazing

It took them a couple of minutes to swap in his replacement, but it’s there at the end.

Good thing this pilot had instrument training! Sounds like the ILS really helped him out. On the other hand, the controller had him on such a long final, had the engine quit short of the runway it could have turned out really poorly. I think if I had been PIC, I would have insisted on vectors to the most direct way to the runway and skipped the whole ILS thing. With that much oil all over the windows, that engine could have quit anytime. Better to make a terrible crash landing on a big open flat space like an airport than out off airport into who knows what.

Back