Oil filter vs screen

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
Pros and Cons of each?

I currently do not have an oil filter on my Decathlon. Have avoided converting mainly due to space constraints. It is crowded behind the engine due to inverted oil system and rear mounted prop gov. But am considering it as I am finishing up installing my overhauled engine.

Sounds like main advantage of filter is 50 hour changes vs 25 with screen. But cost of a filter is about same as a case of oil, so cost is almost a wash. I change my own oil so no labor cost savings.

Are filters superior to the screen in other ways that would justify the expense of an adapter?

One problem of conversion is that often the screen is not deleted and never gets checked.

A filter provides much better filtration as it takes out fine particles that pass right through a screen.

My O-290 has a screen, no way to adapt a filter with the oil cooler adapter already in place.

Pros and Cons of each?

I currently do not have an oil filter on my Decathlon. Have avoided converting mainly due to space constraints. It is crowded behind the engine due to inverted oil system and rear mounted prop gov. But am considering it as I am finishing up installing my overhauled engine.

Sounds like main advantage of filter is 50 hour changes vs 25 with screen. But cost of a filter is about same as a case of oil, so cost is almost a wash. I change my own oil so no labor cost savings.

Are filters superior to the screen in other ways that would justify the expense of an adapter?
I would want a filter if at all possible.
I now have 135 hrs (2 oil changes) on a Challenger oil filter. It is surprising how much I find in it including carbon now that I am cleaning it and looking closer. It is doing a good job of filtering. I feel it is better than a screw on disposable filter.
IMG_3509.JPG

But one time I forgot to put cam guard in and this happened...
IMG_3419.JPG

Last edited:
Er, Add an oil filter if it is at all practical to do so. The difference in the amount of contaminants trapped in a filter vs. the OE screens is significant.

My O-290 has a screen, no way to adapt a filter with the oil cooler adapter already in place.

The Airwolf oil filter adapter will work. I suspect others may too.

Maybe, but there would then be two adapters sandwiched together. Lycoming says that their oil filter adapter, at least, won't work.

B&C or Casper Labs 90° adaptors should fit. If the mount is dynofocal you may need a spacer (they both make them) to miss the mount. The two are nearly identical looking but don’t mix spacers or gaskets between them. The internal galleries are a little different.

The adaptors I know replace the screen housing. I hated removing the screen. Too messy and too easy to over tighten the bolts and bend the housing’s ears. I flat sanded the flange a lot. Filters are cleaner and easier and faster. That’s worth the expense. Anti Splat Aero makes a cool fitting for a compressor hose to blow the oil out of a hot filter. It works, too.

Things to pay attention to? If you have a vernatherm it goes into the adaptor housing. If you have a viscosity valve you’ll need to get a vernatherm plug with the adaptor.

Maybe, but there would then be two adapters sandwiched together. Lycoming says that their oil filter adapter, at least, won't work.

It’s going to be no different than having a screen bolted on the back of the oil cooler adapter. You’ll still have the same amount of gaskets and leak potential.

I did extensive research on this at one point, when my Cub had a 290 on it. The previous owner had installed the oil filter adapter but chose the wrong gasket so I needed to figure out what should be there and what was appropriate.

It’s going to be no different than having a screen bolted on the back of the oil cooler adapter. You’ll still have the same amount of gaskets and leak potential.

I did extensive research on this at one point, when my Cub had a 290 on it. The previous owner had installed the oil filter adapter but chose the wrong gasket so I needed to figure out what should be there and what was appropriate.
I'll have to look at it someday. I also don't have a Vernatherm, which Lycoming says can't be used with their oil cooler adapter... but they also say you can't use the two hole oil screen housing and I have that, and it works fine.

All those problems wouldn't exist if I had the accessory case with built in provisions for the oil cooler.

OTOH, if I stumble across a decent mid time O-320 at a decent price... :idea:

I'll have to look at it someday. I also don't have a Vernatherm, which Lycoming says can't be used with their oil cooler adapter... but they also say you can't use the two hole oil screen housing and I have that, and it works fine.

All those problems wouldn't exist if I had the accessory case with built in provisions for the oil cooler.

OTOH, if I stumble across a decent mid time O-320 at a decent price... :idea:

Yes, the vernatherm is not an option. The oil cooler adapter houses the viscosity valve and I don’t see a simple way to reengineer that part.

The 320 is the way to go if it becomes an option. Lighter, more power, easier parts sources, etc.

Lots of good input, thanks. If I do add one, it will be easy. Because the aircraft is still in production, I can use whatever the TC currently specifies and order parts direct from the ACA factory.

Oil filters in tight places are a pain to change, and not only because they're hard to get at. They spill oil everywhere and make a big mess. Lots of hassle making various catchers and trays.

I had a look at that Anti-Splat oil filter blow-out tool. I wouldn't use it. It puts air into the dirty side of the filter to force the oil out into the engine's galleries, which is fine. But since aircraft spin-on filters typically don't have the inlet check valve disc as do the automotive filters, some of that dirty-side oil, including metal chips, could get forced back into the pump, since the pump's clearances are not tight enough to prevent that, and junk in the pump is a bad idea. The debris came through it once already, which was bad enough.

Back