Oil Filter Can Cutter

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Well, poo. After our last airport open house somehow my ancient oil filter cutter has magically disappeared. I've got my suspicions, but ... no good deed goes unpunished.

I need a cheap good cutter. Any suggestions besides my chain saw?

Jim

Buy a Lathe, that's what I use. :)

Have an Airwolf, bought it so long ago I can't remember what I paid.

It took me too many years before I learned that when it comes to tools, "If you buy the best, you only cry once."

It's a tool. Granted it's one you only use about 3 times a year. But don't go cheap.

I think this is the one I have.

Appears to be beefier than the previously posted Spruce one for about the same price. Seems to work well -- no complaints.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-664...ash=item258ba2e1b1:g:7~IAAOSwj0NUhblm&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

I use my mechanic's cutter. :p

But if I cannot find him (my mechanic), I use my "chain saw". To clarify, it is a chain that acts as a saw. I think they call it "exhaust cutter". Is that what you mean? If not, get one. It can cut any filter, from small 4-bangers to big diesels.

But if I cannot find him (my mechanic), I use my "chain saw". To clarify, it is a chain that acts as a saw. I think they call it "exhaust cutter". Is that what you mean? If not, get one. It can cut any filter, from small 4-bangers to big diesels.
THis?
oes-27045_ml.jpg

Do you have to put the can in a table vice?
Yes.

Use it upside down from the photo.

Spin the long handle around the can and it’s just like a copper pipe cutter.

And no metal shavings like a lathe would produce.

Tell me about it.

A long time ago, I hacksawed my first oil filter open for inspection.

Talk about seeing a lot of metal in the oil filter!! :confused:

I own an Airwolf cutter. Not a fan. I haven’t replaced it but I don’t like it.

Back