Oil filter adaptors???

Tflhndn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tflhndn
Just got my new (factory reman) O-540 from Lycoming. Surprisingly (to me at least) it did not come with an oil filter, but with an oil screen...

since there are a number of choices for an oil filter adapter kit (lycoming - $700ish, B&C - $400ish, and Casper - $300ish)

anybody have any experience/advice/recomendations for one kit over another?

I went with the teledyne mattituck on my lycoming back in 2010. Times have changed or should I say prices. It was $175 for the part back then.

Attachments

• IMG_5347.JPG
    IMG_5347.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 9
Casper Labs and B&C are pretty much identical. Both work great. Since they're 90* adapters make sure there's space for the filter canister. Both manufacturers offer base spacers to move the filter away from the engine case to deal with interference like from dynafocal mount tubes, accessory case alternators, etc. The spacers aren't always easy to find in the catalogs. (the base gallery machining isn't identical between the two so if you need a spacer get it from the adapter manufacturer) If you don't use a vernatherm you'll need a plug to cap that outlet in the adapter.

I've used Casper twice in the past few years because they're cheaper than B&C for the exact same thing. I love B&C stuff and always use their alternators-regulators but an oil adapter is an oil adapter and Casper works perfectly.

Last edited:
I've used Casper adapters and the OE style Lycoming ones. In addition to price, which one you choose might be limited based on how much clearance in the engine compartment you have.

Casper Labs customer service is top notch - I sent them an email one evening and received a call in less than an hour and I emailed them at about 7:00 pm. My one complaint with that oil filter adapter is the lack of material around the sealing surface area for the vernatherm. It may be a fluke with this particular adapter but the sealing surface is a little thin for my liking and I had an oil leak there when I first installed it. Installation of a new crush washer eliminated the leak but it is an area I'm always looking at on preflight, since it sits right above the exhaust on this particular airplane and I don't want a leak/fire.

Back