Oil disposal

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I moved my airplane to another airport 5 weeks ago. The new place is closer to my house, it's a bigger hanger and they will clear snow from right in front of my door. I am happy!

Today I changed the oil and was surprised to find out that the city run airport has no on field oil disposal. No one knew where I could take my bucket of oil to properly dispose of it. Frankly, I don't either. My old airport had a place to dump it and I never change the oil in my cars anymore since places like Jiffy Lube are so much cheaper and faster.

Where should I start looking to even find out who in the community would take it? I heard already 'maybe you can check the gas stations.' I seriously doubt they would take it since I do not know where a gas station is that actually services cars anymore, they are all minimarts. Maybe if I wanted to dispose of old doughnuts they could help, but not oil. Do those oil change places take the oil without charging someone?

I heard already 'maybe you can check the gas stations.'
An chain auto parts store works. AutoZone is probably the best bet. Kragen/Checkers people love to pretend they take the oil, but whenever you call, the "tank is full". Probably collect some subsidy for the state for it, without really accepting oil, very convenient gig for them.

Most auto parts stores take used oil these days - OReilly's, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. Heck, if you're getting your car oil changed at Jiffy anyway, you might be able to get them to let you dump your bucket in their tank.

No hangar neighbors? (Surely they are doing something with their oil)

http://www.epa.state.il.us/land/hazardous-waste/household-haz-waste/hhw-disposal.html#Motor-Oil

Save the used oil in a leak-proof container. Some service stations and recycling centers accept used oil.
Have your oil changed at a service station or a lube center that recycles and properly disposes of used oil.
Take the used oil to a local Household Hazardous Waste collection.

I think they also let you burn it in a space heater that is smaller than a particulat # of BTUs and vents outside.

An chain auto parts store works. AutoZone is probably the best bet. Kragen/Checkers people love to pretend they take the oil, but whenever you call, the "tank is full".

CSK (which included Kragen & Checker) hasn't existed for at least two years. They were bought by O'Reilly...and O'Reilly doesn't play that game (well, of course, unless their tank IS actually full).

Probably collect some subsidy for the state for it, without really accepting oil, very convenient gig for them.

Actually, the companies who mfgr the oil pay for it, proportionate to the amount of their oil the chain sells.

Scott, I doubt any of the major chains (Zone, O'Reilly & Advance are the biggest...in order) would refuse your oil because it doesn't cost them anything to take it.

Last edited:
Find a 55 gal barrel, put your oil in it, when it is full park it on the ramp. you'll be surprised how fast the airport will get rid of it.

You mean I am not allowed to pour it down the ravine behind my house ?

(car parts stores, the container behind Walmart, the container behind SamsClub, the 24hr used oil container at the county recycling center)

Where should I start looking to even find out who in the community would take it? I heard already 'maybe you can check the gas stations.' I seriously doubt they would take it since I do not know where a gas station is that actually services cars anymore, they are all minimarts.

In our area, all of the chains - AutoZone, Advance, NAPA, JiffyLube take back old oil. Never had an issue. Chlorinated solvents are a big no-no.

I'll burn it, I like to be warm in the winter

My old car mechanic (now retired) did that, worked well. Used a few 300 gall poly tanks for storage. Kept the shop more than warm. He would easily burn 1000 gallons over the winter.

Gary

In some states, service stations are required to accept oil for recycling.

Pretty much anywhere, a place that sells oil has to take oil. Sometimes, they can weasel out by pointing you to some other place that takes it on their behalf, sometimes they are allowed to restrict the amount of oil to the amount they sold you.

Through some unfortunate events, I once ended up with a slurry that was a mixture of oil, grass, soil and water. Getting rid of that was a big tricky.....

In our area, all of the chains - AutoZone, Advance, NAPA, JiffyLube take back old oil. Never had an issue. Chlorinated solvents are a big no-no.

My old car mechanic (now retired) did that, worked well. Used a few 300 gall poly tanks for storage. Kept the shop more than warm. He would easily burn 1000 gallons over the winter.

Gary

We don't get enough oil to solely heat with it, but any free heat is good, and recycling to boot!

Waste oil heater, folks will BUY it from you. There is a shortage here, making waste oil heaters not as attractive anymore.

Crazy, we can't spill a thimble on some ramps but no problem aerosolizing all that lead in a fire?

Most auto parts stores take used oil these days - OReilly's, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. Heck, if you're getting your car oil changed at Jiffy anyway, you might be able to get them to let you dump your bucket in their tank.

Depending on your city, they might take it as well. I know the one I live in accepts (at a designated facility, not on the curb) brush, leaves, other yard waste, waste oil, and other items. You can pick up free mulch and wood chips there as well. Of course you have to prove you live in city limits, but that's usually just your driver's license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use it for weed control along the fence rows. It came from the ground and should be returned to the ground.

I use it for weed control along the fence rows. It came from the ground and should be returned to the ground.

Also works to control the dust on gravel roads. Probably not a politically correct use for it nowadays either.

Waste oil heater, folks will BUY it from you. There is a shortage here, making waste oil heaters not as attractive anymore.
The local township office will accept oil from March to October and state that they use it for their waste oil heater to save tax payer money.

It came from the ground and should be returned to the ground.

While that's a nice thought, oil should not be placed on the ground above the water table. Just remember that oil & water don't mix particularly well.

While that's a nice thought, oil should not be placed on the ground above the water table. Just remember that oil & water don't mix particularly well.
My pone and well are tested every ~2 years for the last 15+ years and all is well.

WalMart takes any used motor oil around here... big container, sign-in sheet required by the State showing who dropped off what kind of oil... done.

The local township office will accept oil from March to October and state that they use it for their waste oil heater to save tax payer money.

Ok I give up.........................

When they are burning the most used oil to create heat in the cold months their policy is to not take it from Oct to March ??:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Only the government can come up with rules like that.:yesnod::yesnod::mad2::mad2:

If a large quantity is ever obtained (we're talking several barrells), there are places out there that will actually purchase it from you.

I'll have to dig up the name from my files, but here at the auto salvage yard, we have a company that comes buy monthly to drain our large tank (that we are allowed to combine all petro-fluids except gasoline that are found in cars/trucks). Each drain of our 350-gallon tank usually nets about $150 in revenue.

Not a big amount, but it helps offset the costs of complying with the various environmental regs.

I'll have to dig up the name from my files, but here at the auto salvage yard, we have a company that comes buy monthly to drain our large tank (that we are allowed to combine all petro-fluids except gasoline that are found in cars/trucks). Each drain of our 350-gallon tank usually nets about $150 in revenue.

So you have advanced from the time honored practice of just allowing it to drain into the ground in the back corner of the lot :D .

So you have advanced from the time honored practice of just allowing it to drain into the ground in the back corner of the lot :D .
Being a city mouse from the beginning, it's been fun ride to demonstrate we're anything but the guys you're thinking of.

And I've heard loads of horror stories about yard owners getting a chance to sell their land to property developers for massive amounts of money, just to have the deal quashed when they couldn't pass the Phase I EPA sampling.

I take my used oil to our local county recycling center. They have an area set aside for the collection of used oil and hazardous materials such as batteries, paints, aerosols, etc. No fee's are charged.

Being a city mouse from the beginning, it's been fun ride to demonstrate we're anything but the guys you're thinking of.

You are telling me that you are lacking a one-eared dog as well ?

You are telling me that you are lacking a one-eared dog as well ?
If we ever find ourselves in same place sharing tall tales, remind me to tell you about a friend who replaced the dog with a guard python.

Use it to make sure the old tires no one will take get burning good and bright.

Back