Oil dilution

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
My 520 powered A185F has a Oil Dilution switch, my understanding is it adds fuel into the oil for better cold start performance.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge with these systems, as to their usage and tips or tricks with them?

Thanks

My 520 powered A185F has a Oil Dilution switch, my understanding is it adds fuel into the oil for better cold start performance.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge with these systems, as to their usage and tips or tricks with them?

Thanks

Read the Owner's Manual yet? For the most part I don't think many, if any, use these anymore. You can buy an oil sump heater at a local auto parts store and plug it in to 110 volt AC outlet for less than $120. Some folks don't have power in the hangar tho.

Like this or other:
https://www.wolverineheater.com/category-s/1477.htm

Thanks

Instructions should be in the POH. I never used it but read through a manual on a plane with one. IIRC you need to let the oil heat up and run several minutes to evaporate the light ends out before going for T/O power. That was the only thing along with a chart of temp/time to hold switch that was detailed as important, it's been a few years since I read it though. One thing about it though, if you are using oil analysis numbers to track engine condition, you are going to get some anomalies with the lead numbers and who knows what else. Most people use some form of physical heater instead, or even drain the oil and keep it warm next to the fire and pour it back in for the start.

I read the book on it, just wanted to get some first hand knowledge.

Doubt I'll be using it, and no oil analysis I track my engine parameters and aircraft performance for that.

Read the Owner's Manual yet? For the most part I don't think many, if any, use these anymore. You can buy an oil sump heater at a local auto parts store and plug it in to 110 volt AC outlet for less than $120. Some folks don't have power in the hangar tho.

Like this or other:
https://www.wolverineheater.com/category-s/1477.htm

Is this permissible on a certified airframe?
:dunno:

I read the book on it, just wanted to get some first hand knowledge.

Doubt I'll be using it, and no oil analysis I track my engine parameters and aircraft performance for that.

Oil analysis is a damned handy tool for saving money, it belongs in your tool box same as monitoring other engine parameters. Lot's you can learn there and it gives you early indication of issues while they are still at cheap component to replace stage rather than having already destroyed expensive larger components. You can do a life time's worth of oil analysis for the cost of replacing a crank.

They should be installed by A&P and logged, but yes.

I was referring to the advice of procuring one from the auto parts store. I doubt an A&P would touch it without the required "Aviation" moniker and accompanying price tag.

Is this permissible on a certified airframe?
:dunno:

Yep, You can also go to Home Depot and by a Dewalt heat gun and duct it up into your engine compartment.

I like the the pad you stick on the oil sump as well as the head heaters that screw in plane under the rocker cover gasket.

I was referring to the advice of procuring one from the auto parts store. I doubt an A&P would touch it without the required "Aviation" moniker and accompanying price tag.

You realize that the big names in airplane engine preheaters made their start by marketing the glue-on automotive ones to aircraft owner? Since those simple things can be bought anywhere these preheat dealers came out with much more elaborate and much more expensive systems that have been around for many years and only very very recently STC'ed.

I look for some type of UL listing on them. They come in all different shapes, sizes, and wattage. Choose accordingly.

Last edited:
Back