Oil Consumption

How many quarts of oil do you add between oil changes?

• Total voters
I'm presuming you are talking about the airplane? My '58 182 (470L) is calibrated in quarts.

Interesting. I'll look at ours closer but with 300 hours behind it I'm nearly certain it only has three marks on it. O-470-S.

Maybe some dipstick used the wrong dipstick in the thing at some past date and it's not the right one.

Or I'm just remembering it wrong because it always sits in the same spot in relation to one of the marks.

I use less oil if I use 50 weight instead of multiweight. But we have winters in Colorado so I am using multi. Could switch in Nov 1 and April 1. Im going to start doing that again I think. I dunno, multi is best if you cold start and equal or better in most other things. If you are going to run just one in cold climate multi is better. By Bucky!

I use less oil if I use 50 weight instead of multiweight. But we have winters in Colorado so I am using multi. Could switch in Nov 1 and April 1. Im going to start doing that again I think. I dunno, multi is best if you cold start and equal or better in most other things. If you are going to run just one in cold climate multi is better. By Bucky!

We found we never seemed to hit the right flight time to do those switches seasonally when we wanted to, and the airplane has run on multiweight for many many years longer than our LLC has owned it. (And the LLC is ten years old this year.) So we decided, "Why mess with what works?"

The oil I use doesn't have consumption. As a matter of fact I make sure that every case of oil I purchase is free of consumption,
and not succeptable to the disease as well.

Back